Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    My personal opinion is that I don't care what a player does or says off the field. The media is way too involved with athletes these days.

I wonder how many players we idolize from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's beat their wives, cheated, were homosexual....and we never knew, therefore we didn't care.

I submit that some fans only care today because it is all over the media, 24/7.

I am a fan of the sport and a fan of the athlete...and what he does ON THE FIELD.

I want to see Manny hit the ball, drive in runs and hit HR's. I don't pay for my ticket to sit and wonder what charity he involves himself with or whether or not he's a faithful spouse.

Ballplayers are paid to play ball...not be perfect.

Players are people too. Yes they are often spoiled primadonnas but who are we to try and dictate how they live their lives off the field? Try telling your neighbor he has to go to church or that he must give to a charity. I'd wager that wouldn't fare to well for you.

And yes, Manny doesn't contribute much other than his bat. What about Bob Uecker. Did he contribute much more than catching? What about Edgar Martinez? He was all bat as well. Maybe Manny should be back in the AL and moved to DH.

I respect the uber straight and narrow players....but I don't begrudge the ones that aren't perfect.
    Being homosexual counts in with beating your wife and cheating? While I care mostly about players' on-field actions, if the guy is a jerk, then I lose all respect for him. I've always liked Manny, but if that is true about not wanting to do charity work, then I'll think twice about rooting for him. How hard is it to write a check and show up for an event for kids with cancer? After the Astros were done, I would always switch over to the Dodgers to see Manny hit. But I'll never forget how he said he'd want to spend the rest of his career as a Dodger, and after the season, said he was really after the highest bidder. I'm quickly losing all respect for the guy. Character does count, and I'm saying this as someone who's an Astros fan - far removed from pro or anti BoSox bias.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I don't believe any of the crap out there coming from the Sox regarding Manny and his so called "bad behavior"

In my opinion, it just sounds like they are trying to say he is "damaged goods", for lack of a better term, so that none of their competition wants to sign him.

I don't know about most people but I care more about what players do "Inside the lines" then what they do "Outside the lines" in their private life

For example, Ty Cobb beat the hell out of an umpire after a game and was a known racist.

Yet he still got into the HOF because of what he did on the field.

I also don't care if Barry Bonds used steroids. Same with Palmeiro, Big Mac and Sosa. The players should be able to do what they want to their bodies. Yes, I know steroids are illegal but they shouldn't be, because when used properly they can be very beneficial for the human body in regards to injury recovery and overall wellness
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Here we are 2 weeks before ST and big names are still on the sidelines. This is one of those strange years. No, not a collusion year, a year where it is unsure where the economy is headed and owners are not going to lay out big $$...except for NYY. They have not heard.

I see Manny with LAD, signing a deal for about a year. I see Adam Dunn with the Nationals for a year, far under what and he wanted and not where he wanted to be... It's just a statement of the times.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    I don't believe any of the crap out there coming from the Sox regarding Manny and his so called "bad behavior"

In my opinion, it just sounds like they are trying to say he is "damaged goods", for lack of a better term, so that none of their competition wants to sign him.

I don't know about most people but I care more about what players do "Inside the lines" then what they do "Outside the lines" in their private life

For example, Ty Cobb beat the hell out of an umpire after a game and was a known racist.

Yet he still got into the HOF because of what he did on the field.

I also don't care if Barry Bonds used steroids. Same with Palmeiro, Big Mac and Sosa. The players should be able to do what they want to their bodies. Yes, I know steroids are illegal but they shouldn't be, because when used properly they can be very beneficial for the human body in regards to injury recovery and overall wellness
    Thank you. Thought I was the only one these days that doesn't care what a player does with his personal life.

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Being homosexual counts in with beating your wife and cheating? While I care mostly about players' on-field actions, if the guy is a jerk, then I lose all respect for him. I've always liked Manny, but if that is true about not wanting to do charity work, then I'll think twice about rooting for him. How hard is it to write a check and show up for an event for kids with cancer? After the Astros were done, I would always switch over to the Dodgers to see Manny hit. But I'll never forget how he said he'd want to spend the rest of his career as a Dodger, and after the season, said he was really after the highest bidder. I'm quickly losing all respect for the guy. Character does count, and I'm saying this as someone who's an Astros fan - far removed from pro or anti BoSox bias.

Read post #22

Thank you.

I am a lifelong Sox fan and let me start by saying I do appreciate what Manny helped the team do. But to say that Boston management treated him wrong or that they are trying to say he is damaged goods? WHAT?? Did anybody follow what happened in Boston the past few years? He tried to fake an injury, he took WEEKS off each season when the team needed him most, he doesn't run out grounders or hits, he only plays hard in the outfield when he feels like it and while he was doing that he was being paid over 20 MILLION a year! Sure, he can hit the leather off a ball, but that is only HALF of his job. He was paid, very well, to be a left fielder. He was paid to play hard, every play, every at bat. He did that when he felt like it.

Do I appreciate the talent he has to hit, sure I do. You don't see talent like that but once in a lifetime. I appreciate what he did in Sox uniform, but I don't think that because he was a great hitter excused him from doing his job or quitting on his team. Are you there to play baseball or talk on the cell phone Manny?

It is obvious that the Dodgers fans on the board have not had their taste of Manny yet. You had him for what, a few months? Come talk to us Sox fans when your new hero decides to sit for a few weeks in the middle of a pennant race. Or when he decides that the millions he is making is not enough and starts the "woe is me" in the media. I'm curious to see how long the love fest will last.

And that, my friends, is the "rest of the story"..............

Quote Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
    I am a lifelong Sox fan and let me start by saying I do appreciate what Manny helped the team do. But to say that Boston management treated him wrong or that they are trying to say he is damaged goods? WHAT?? Did anybody follow what happened in Boston the past few years? He tried to fake an injury, he took WEEKS off each season when the team needed him most, he doesn't run out grounders or hits, he only plays hard in the outfield when he feels like it and while he was doing that he was being paid over 20 MILLION a year! Sure, he can hit the leather off a ball, but that is only HALF of his job. He was paid, very well, to be a left fielder. He was paid to play hard, every play, every at bat. He did that when he felt like it.

Do I appreciate the talent he has to hit, sure I do. You don't see talent like that but once in a lifetime. I appreciate what he did in Sox uniform, but I don't think that because he was a great hitter excused him from doing his job or quitting on his team. Are you there to play baseball or talk on the cell phone Manny?

It is obvious that the Dodgers fans on the board have not had their taste of Manny yet. You had him for what, a few months? Come talk to us Sox fans when your new hero decides to sit for a few weeks in the middle of a pennant race. Or when he decides that the millions he is making is not enough and starts the "woe is me" in the media. I'm curious to see how long the love fest will last.
    Tedw9,

I understand your anger, as I do all fans of a team who witnessed the dethroning of their teams superstar.......it's painful for all to see.

I also understand the predictions of Manny doing this, and Manny doing that, after he gets the bucks, to the next team hw plays on.

But IMHO you guys are way off base. Here's why....

You are referring to Manny quitting on his team, and all that stuff. Yes, he did. But he did it after he was shown the ultimate disrespect from the teams management and ownership. The Red Sox WAIVED HIM in 2003 in an attempt to get rid of him and that large contract. Manny could have copped a 'tude right then and there, but he kept his free-spirited happy personality, and WON YOU FANS A WORLD SERIES. So....where is the outrage from you fans over that???

I'll tell you where it is. It's misdirected into an explanation like Tedw9's here. You all jumped on the "Bash MANNY!" bandwagon, instead of backing him. So, he handled it the way he saw fit. I'm not condoning his behavior, but it got to the point where everyone in Boston was basically calling for a pulic linching of this guy.

So, since Manny could back it up.....he snubbed the team to get out. HOW can you blame him for doing that to a team whose players, and a city whose fans, has all turned against him?

Manny may be looking for big bucks, and that is his right in the system that is set up. That said, I believe WHEREVER he ends up signing (and I hope it is in Chavez Ravine) I believe he knows he's working for his legacy, and possibly one last additional contract if he plays well. So we shall see, but I say where ever he ends up, he plays like the superstar he is. The Boston situation was ugly, and it ended badly.......but the Red Sox organization crapped down the throat of their best player FIRST....not the other way around. You have to understand that fact before you go on your next "Manny Bashing" routine.

WOW suicide_squeeze!

Very accurate!

Not a Huge Manny fan by any means, but Boston did crap on him for sure! Boston has Great Fans, but many of their fans threw Manny under the bus! Manny obviously got his feelings hurt!

Mark

I could care less about Manny, the Red Sox, or the Dodgers, but I need to know.....it's not ok for the Sox to do what they can to pay him less, but it's ok for him to quit on his team? Plus there is the integrity issue-faking injuries. Ok, so you were disrespected, but play hard, make the management look bad, and then go get your cash.

Mark