Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: OT - AROD admits steroid use

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    schubert1970.........

I don't even know how to respond to your comment, but I'll try.

I am not saying anything like TAKE ALL OF THE NUMBERS out of the record books, or anything radical like that.

I am simply saying we need to understand that the "numbers" established during this time frame (15, 20, possibly 25 years from here backwards) have the likelyhood of being "warped" because of rampant steroid use by the stars of the game.....and even the regular Joes. So in effect, the historical statistics that give us a benchmark to compare players in different times....have been chemically and artificially ALTERED by something unnatural and unrelated to the game itself (like watered down pitching because of expansion, changing the amount of games played in a season, etc.).

If you can't understand that, then I certainly won't be able to ignite the light bulb above your head. It's a tainted time in the history of the sport. We need to accept that fact with all of these (continuing) revelations coming out about the players in this era, fix it, and move ON.

My understanding of what he was trying to say is we don't * the Babe Ruths just because they faced $hitty pitchers do we? The game was totally different back then but there records still stand. I don't condone using steroids in anyway but it is what it is. Like said above before they allowed minorities to play we didn't * players, obviously baseball is much more competitive with minorities playing and who knows Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day???

Quote Originally Posted by nick1980 View Post
    My understanding of what he was trying to say is we don't * the Babe Ruths just because they faced $hitty pitchers do we? The game was totally different back then but there records still stand. I don't condone using steroids in anyway but it is what it is. Like said above before they allowed minorities to play we didn't * players, obviously baseball is much more competitive with minorities playing and who knows Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day???
    nick1980 and shubert1970,

As I am relatively new here, I want to thank you both for enlightening me to the fact that this is not the place to have a cerebral discussion about.....well, ANYTHING.

I will be sure to remember that when I post in the future, and would expect to receive feedback on the level of both of yours.

By the way, Babe Ruth faced the best pitching on a concentrated basis, because there were only a dozen or so teams in the sport back then. That means he wasn't facing watered-down pitching talent.....only the best.

And in regards to other comments about spit-balls, pitchers scuffing the balls up, hell, even corked bats (my add-in), these are things that are all considered "incidentals" of the game, and have always been a part of it. They are inbred into the fabric of the game. Is it realistic to think they had an overwheming effect on the outcome of the record books like steroid use has?

Whatever.....the silliness of arguing any points here is futile. Later.

Before we go around procaliming that players of the past were better than the players today, think about why that could be. Defensive players were not as good as they are today. Fields were in worse conditions. Pitchers pitched full games. Babe Ruth may not have faced off against the best pitchers of the game. Its too different to say. If Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb were alive and in their 20's today, i doubt they would hit like they did back then. The game is just different.

Quote Originally Posted by nick1980 View Post

You know, I just can't let this go, nick1980. You really pissed me off with your ignorant comments.

HOW in the world can you even bother to COMMENT on ANYTHING relating to baseball when you make a general statement like "the Babe Ruths". I'll be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt that you were generalizing, and relating that comment to "the greats of the game". But you picked the wrong name, and your point is NOT well taken.

There was only one Babe Ruth, and he DOMINATED the sport like no other ever had before. He hit more home runs in single seasons than MOST of the other teams. To state that "Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day" is borderline retarded. When ONE player can DOMINATE a sport like he did, against the same competition EVERYONE ELSE in the league was facing.....DON'T you think that SEPERATES him from the rest, to be recognized for what he was.....the GOD of the sport?

It's a joke having to read drivel placed on these threads by people who have no clue what they're talking about. Do yourself a favor and READ what people write, and share your comments with your dog unless you can expel something meaningful. YEAH, I know, you're intitled to post your opinion. I just think it's a rediculously poor one. Getting back to the whole point of the thread, if you people can't see that steroids have damaged the game tremendously, then you don't have your eye on the ball. And ANY argument trying to lesson the impact of steroids on the game is just plain stupid.

Mr.3000

You know, I just can't let this go, nick1980. You really pissed me off with your ignorant comments.

HOW in the world can you even bother to COMMENT on ANYTHING relating to baseball when you make a general statement like "the Babe Ruths". I'll be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt that you were generalizing, and relating that comment to "the greats of the game". But you picked the wrong name, and your point is NOT well taken.

There was only one Babe Ruth, and he DOMINATED the sport like no other ever had before. He hit more home runs in single seasons than MOST of the other teams. To state that "Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day" is borderline retarded. When ONE player can DOMINATE a sport like he did, against the same competition EVERYONE ELSE in the league was facing.....DON'T you think that SEPERATES him from the rest, to be recognized for what he was.....the GOD of the sport?

It's a joke having to read drivel placed on these threads by people who have no clue what they're talking about. Do yourself a favor and READ what people write, and share your comments with your dog unless you can expel something meaningful. YEAH, I know, you're intitled to post your opinion. I just think it's a rediculously poor one. Getting back to the whole point of the thread, if you people can't see that steroids have damaged the game tremendously, then you don't have your eye on the ball. And ANY argument trying to lesson the impact of steroids on the game is just plain stupid.

Some friendly advice. Take a step back and take a breather.

I can tell you from what I know of this site that posts like your last won't be tolerated very long here. Name calling, personal attacks and the such will result in your quick exit from these boards.

GUU is not like your average, run of the mill forum where hissy fits are thrown, name calling is tolerated and outlandishly heated debates are common place. Most here try, and succeed more often than not, to keep level heads and hold their tongues when nothing nice can be said.

There was absolutely no call for "drivel", "retarded", "stupid", "ignorant" to be directed at Nick1980 or anyone else.

As I said, just some friendly advice. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    GUU is not like your average, run of the mill forum where hissy fits are thrown, name calling is tolerated and outlandishly heated debates are common place.
    I will have to sincerely disagree with you Jay:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    I can tell you from what I know of this site that posts like your last won't be tolerated very long here. Name calling, personal attacks and the such will result in your quick exit from these boards.

Whoops, forgot about this one too. I very nicely disagree:-)

Mr.3000,

I knew my post would illicit this type of response.

I wholeheartedly thank you for the words of advice. I understand clearly what you are telling me, and I do appreciate the friendly gesture.

I have to say that this being a GAME USED forum, I would expect that the collectors and users of this site would be a bit on the more experienced side of the mean. And for those who aren't, more the reason to be here as there is a BUNCH of insight to be obtained here by extremely knowedgeable people who are truly enlightening.

That said, I feel that it is to the best interest that knowledge be spread on issues that concern us all. Opinions, on the other hand, are just that, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

When you give one, I think it's naive to think you aren't going to receive the opposite kind in response to it. I did. And I have answered it the way I deemed fit.

I stand by every single word.

I was not attempting to be mean, rude or anything similar. I felt I was IN FACT treated that way by the response I got. Then, after trying to clear it up a bit, I had another Einstein agree with the first borderline-offensive comments back at me.

We're all adults here, folks. If you've got something to say, BRING IT!! If you're going to comment on something so blatantly obvious that WRONG in the world today, and is a symbol of a much LARGER problem intertwined in society today, man up and put the skirt away, for christ's sake. Expect a good debate......but if you come at me asking me if I live in Disneyland.......you had better be packing your boxing gloves, pal. AND.....if you're going to back up a chump comment like that, step up into the ring too.

I'm a debater, not a name caller. I felt my comments, albeit a bit harsh, were called for.

That said, I'll try to be more accomodating to your advice, Mr.3000, and allow the 20 and 30-somethings here to expel their ignorance any way they wish.

Thank you, A-Rod!

Sincerely,

M. Phelps

Mr.3000,

I knew my post would illicit this type of response.

I wholeheartedly thank you for the words of advice. I understand clearly what you are telling me, and I do appreciate the friendly gesture.

I have to say that this being a GAME USED forum, I would expect that the collectors and users of this site would be a bit on the more experienced side of the mean. And for those who aren't, more the reason to be here as there is a BUNCH of insight to be obtained here by extremely knowedgeable people who are truly enlightening.

That said, I feel that it is to the best interest that knowledge be spread on issues that concern us all. Opinions, on the other hand, are just that, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

When you give one, I think it's naive to think you aren't going to receive the opposite kind in response to it. I did. And I have answered it the way I deemed fit.

I stand by every single word.

I was not attempting to be mean, rude or anything similar. I felt I was IN FACT treated that way by the response I got. Then, after trying to clear it up a bit, I had another Einstein agree with the first borderline-offensive comments back at me.

We're all adults here, folks. If you've got something to say, BRING IT!! If you're going to comment on something so blatantly obvious that WRONG in the world today, and is a symbol of a much LARGER problem intertwined in society today, man up and put the skirt away, for christ's sake. Expect a good debate......but if you come at me asking me if I live in Disneyland.......you had better be packing your boxing gloves, pal. AND.....if you're going to back up a chump comment like that, step up into the ring too.

I'm a debater, not a name caller. I felt my comments, albeit a bit harsh, were called for.

That said, I'll try to be more accomodating to your advice, Mr.3000, and allow the 20 and 30-somethings here to expel their ignorance any way they wish.
    How old are you?