Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Yes.

Manny being greedy too.

Hey Manny how many folks in California unemployed would love to earn even 1% of what the Dodgers just offered you!
    Well, be fair, Manny wants long-term security. How many of you would take a one year deal, when there is potential to have several years worth of job security? And this is Manny's opportunity, because of his god-like performance with the Dodgers last year. So - I think it's only fair for him to get a multi-year deal.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Yes.

Manny being greedy too.

Hey Manny how many folks in California unemployed would love to earn even 1% of what the Dodgers just offered you!
    Add to that any money he receives from endorsements, memorabilia deals, Player's Union profit sharing, Meet & Greets, Post-Season pay, All Star money, travel stipends, interest on his earnings, freebies, and on and on.

Manny is a star, but I have no respect for him as a person and I can speak from experience with the way he treated me once upon a time so I am not surprised by him turning this deal down.

So I agree with the Deputy, SCREW YOU MANNY!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Well, be fair, Manny wants long-term security. How many of you would take a one year deal, when there is potential to have several years worth of job security? And this is Manny's opportunity, because of his god-like performance with the Dodgers last year. So - I think it's only fair for him to get a multi-year deal.

-Frik
    Frik - This market and economy has turned much worse. He got a 2 year offer early on in the process and turned that down. At the "per year" deal he is looking for, he won't get more than 2 years, but hey, that is my opinion.

Unless the Yankees come calling, Manny should jump at the 1 year deal or negotiate in a 2nd year option.

Otherwise, maybe he will sit out 2009!!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Manny is a star, but I have no respect for him as a person and I can speak from experience with the way he treated me once upon a time so I am not surprised by him turning this deal down.

So I agree with the Deputy, SCREW YOU MANNY!
    Care to provide details? As with the Dykstra story last night, my opinions of a guy can be greatly shaped by what you guys have experienced with a player.

-Frik
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Care to provide details? As with the Dykstra story last night, my opinions of a guy can be greatly shaped by what you guys have experienced with a player.

-Frik
    Frik - I don't want to get into details as Manny has no way of commenting so it isn't fair to him. I just believe you should always strive to treat people like you would want to be treated if at all possible.

Manny is Manny as his "friend" told us over and over again. I say great for Manny.

First time shame on you, and there won't be a 2nd time.

I am happy for my friend Mike (Nationals2K9) who I have helped with some Manny items and for so many others that collect Manny's items, as I do believe Manny is a great ball player.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    He's got the third most hits in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??

He's got the 2nd most RBI in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??

He's #1...#1... in HOME RUNS in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??
    Yep, that's right... and he doesn't even SNIFF the TOP 10 in WS History in ANY Category...

So who won those WS??? Manny didn't do it alone....

The point being, you are comparing APPLES to ORANGES... if there had been Division Series, LCS and then WS back in the day, Manny wouldn't carry Mantle, Ruth, or even Yogi's jock... and I am by NO MEANS a Yankee fan - just a huge baseball fan...

Those guys ONLY got to play in WS games, so they have (on avg) just more than 1/2 the Post Season ABs as Manny and his Contemporaries, but their numbers (if transposed to corresponding ABs) would match Manny's numbers - or beat them in most cases (even if only by % points)

WS and PS

Batting Avg... Manny doesn't crack the Top 10 either side...
    On Base %... again doesn't crack Top 10 either side...
    Slug %... again, no Top 10 either side...
    OPS... OOPS - no Top 10 here either Manny...

Games Played:
    WS #1 - Yogi Berra (75 w/ 295 PA), #2 - Mickey Mantle (65 w/ 273 PA)
    PS #4 - Manny (103 w/ 459 PA)

At Bats:
    WS #1 - Yoggi Berra (259), #2 - Mickey Mantle (230)
    PS #5 - Manny (378)

Runs:
    WS #1 - Mantle (42), #2 - Berra (41)
    PS #4 - Manny (64), #10 - Mantle (42 - ONLY WS Games)

Hits:
    WS #1 - Berra (71), #2 - Mantle (59)
    PS #3 (108)

Total Base:
    WS #1 - Mantle (123), #2 - Berra (117)
    PS #3 - Manny (208)

1B:
    WS #1 - Berra (49), #2 - Frisch (45)
    PS #6 - Manny (64)

2B:
    WS #1 - (TIE) - Berra / Frisch (10)
    PS #9 - (TIE) - Manny / Edmonds (16)

3B:
    WS #1 - (3 Tied) - Speaker / Leach / Johnson (4)
    PS - Manny (0)

HR:
    WS #1 - Mantle (18), #2 - Ruth (15)
    PS #1 - Manny (28), #3 - (Tied) - Jackson / Mantle (18 - ONLY WS Games for the Mick!)

RBI:
    WS #1 - Mantle (40), #2 - Berra (39)
    PS #2 - Manny (74), #9 - Mantle (40 - ONLY WS Games)

Base on Balls:
    WS #1 - Mantle (43), #2 - Ruth (33)
    PS #3 - Manny (70), #8 - Mantle (43 - again ONLY WS Games)

Stikeouts:
    WS #1 - Mantle (54), #2 - Howard (37)
    PS #2 - (TIED) Manny / Bernie Williams (85)

Stolen Bases - OOPS, No Manny either side here...

Extra Base Hits:
    WS #1 - Mantle (26), #2 - (TIED) - Berra / Ruth (22)
    PS #2 - Manny (44)

Times on Base:
    WS #1 - Berra (106), #2 - Mantle (102)
    PS #3 - Manny (183)

The other point to this being I'm not sure Manny even plays 154 FULL games in a regualr season anyway and these HOFer's played pretty much every day - and without all of the amenities today's players enjoy.

And the 'MannyGate' controversy where he couldn't even remember which knee hurt???

Mantle played on bad knees almost his entire career - imagine his numbers if he had had today's medical knowledge at his disposal??? He would have crushed every other player in baseball history.

And as far as Manny finishing in the TOP 10 in almost every Offensive Category... let's see:

Career BA:
    #1 - Ty Cobb - .3664
    #10 - (TIE) - Ruth / Brouthers - .3421
    Manny - #74 - .3143

Career HR:
    #1 - Bonds (*) - 762
    #10 - Palmiero - 569
    Manny - #17 - 527

Career RBI:
    #1 - Aaron - 2297
    #10 - Mays - 1903
    Manny - #20 - 1725

YES, He has a very good shot - if he will quit being such a PRIMA DONNA and sign somewhere... if he doesn't play, his #'s go nowhere!!!

Right now he's acting like a SPOILED CHILD - and I've already said it once, but I'll say it again - he's really ruining his reputation as well with people losing their jobs and their houses daily and $25 MILLION isn't enough for him for a YEAR!!! Maybe the Dodgers would be willing to DONATE that to community projects to help save some famiies and their homes... I mean that Salary could support 500 families at $50,000 each...

And then reading about him refusing to be involved in Community Projects??? That just makes him a bigger jerk - good riddance!!!

I love the game, and I love watching amazing players, but when they become terrible human beings, I could care less what happens to them (i.e. Manny, Bonds, Sammy, Palmiero, etc...)

Again, my .02 and I'm entitled to it.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Frik - I don't want to get into details as Manny has no way of commenting so it isn't fair to him. I just believe you should always strive to treat people like you would want to be treated if at all possible.

Manny is Manny as his "friend" told us over and over again. I say great for Manny.

First time shame on you, and there won't be a 2nd time.

I am happy for my friend Mike (Nationals2K9) who I have helped with some Manny items and for so many others that collect Manny's items, as I do believe Manny is a great ball player.
    Fair enough. I don't want to force you to tell your story. However, please understand that without more details, I cannnot revise my opinion of Manny.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

-Frik
    Les -

Nothing Personal, but Job Security my @$$!!! After what he pulled on Boston??? He has no loyalties to anyone but himself. And I'm sorry, but $25 MIL should give ANYONE the ability to be set for life but some of these rich overpaid jerks start living at a level that they HAVE to get the biggest contracts to maintain their lifestyles...

And the Dodgers offered a Multi-Year deal (2 years) to start and he and his even bigger Jack @$$ Agent Boras spit in the Dodgers faces.

Maybe he'll end up like Sosa when a few years ago he turned down a $1 MIL Guarantee (I believe from the Nationals) to come and try out for the team at Spring Training because he was INSULTED by their offer and no guarantee of a spot on the MLB roster... he sat out a year or so and then signed a $500,000 Minor League deal with the Rangers (after he had to swallow his pride) so he could get to 600 HRs... but of course he still treated the fans like dirt.

My .02...

- Chris

Fair enough. I don't want to force you to tell your story. However, please understand that without more details, I cannnot revise my opinion of Manny.
    I wouldn't expect you to revise your opinion. When you look at the thread about good/bad signers, people have some differing opinions about the same person and many come down to one's own personal experiences.

I have had the opportunity to meet Manny and hang out with his guys and some people tell me how lucky I am so sure there are many different perspectives.

Manny is "The Man" to so many people, but I read these comments and some old emotions have percolated to the top.

XPRESS34 brings up some valid points in my opinion, but again, this is what makes sports great when we can agree to disagree.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still think the Dodgers should sign Dunn/Hudson and Wolfe and pass on Manny. He can go play for the Giants and sniff last place...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com