Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Anybody wear any of your game worn items?

I wear some, especially to sporting events. Sometimes I even try to match the Cleveland Indians jersey style to what the team will wear that day. When the University of Akron played its final season at the Rubber Bowl this past year, I wore a different year jersey to each game in tribute to the history there. I have found though that the older jerseys (1970's Indians, 1960's Browns) size 42 or so are too small and I am only 180 pounds.

The jerseys I wear are usually ones that did not cost a lot, though for a special occasion I would consider wearing an expensive one. First amd foremost I get them because I want to enjoy them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    You guys should list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you guys.

I AGREE!!

I WOULD NEVER WEAR A GAME USED JERSEY.

I AM JUST CURIOUS TO ASK THE MEMBERS WHO SAY THEY WEAR THERES ALL THE TIME OR ONCE AND A WHILE OR JUST WEAR THEM PERIOD.

Hypothetical Question
    When you decide at some point down the road you want to sell maybe these items whether to clear space or maybe you need a few extra bucks, How would you list your Jersey??

Game Used & Me Used Jersey?????

dont wear them... keep them unwashed in your closet......

I would never wear a Game Used Jersey.I just think it is wrong to do.But if you own a item you can do what ever you want with it.

Thanks
    Geoff

Generally, no, most of mine go on display on the walls of my office. However, I did by a ST gamer specifically to wear.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I AGREE!!

I WOULD NEVER WEAR A GAME USED JERSEY.

I AM JUST CURIOUS TO ASK THE MEMBERS WHO SAY THEY WEAR THERES ALL THE TIME OR ONCE AND A WHILE OR JUST WEAR THEM PERIOD.

Hypothetical Question
    When you decide at some point down the road you want to sell maybe these items whether to clear space or maybe you need a few extra bucks, How would you list your Jersey??

Game Used & Me Used Jersey?????
    The jerseys I wear are likely to earn $60-150 from any resale, in the best of markets. If I ever sell one, it will be described correctly and I am sure that at that price, the buyers will be looking to do much the same as I did with it (unless there are people looking for specific, cup-of-coffee players jerseys, and if so, they would be difficult enought to find, that if a little Chris-sweat causes me to lose my meager investments..I will be surprised.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

An equally important reason not to wear your gamers....you could look like this! [may take a few beers to get the look exactly right! ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Strictly a personal opinion here but I dont wear mine and wouldnt want one worn around town by someone other than the player. It kind of takes the "game used" out of it and adds a "wore it to the grocery store, baby spit up on it and it smells like cigarette smoke" thing to it.

I normally wear my Mickey Mantle game worn when I am burping newborns at the maternity wing.

I had to stop wearing my Dan Marino photomatched Super Bowl jersey after two weeks of fiestas in Mexico. Apparently you can sweat like a pig and throw up at the same time.

I also enjoy taking swings at the local batting range with every one of complete set of 500 home run hitter bats. I usually do this after smoking two packs of cigarettes in a small, non-ventilated room. Lucky for me, I also store most of my collection outside, right next to a fish market.

Now if you are reading this and thinking "Jesus, this guy is an ass. What a stupid thing to say!", then you know exactly how I feel when this question is asked.

I would argue that unless we are talking about an item that should be in a museum, someone other than the player has worn it. This could be to a Super Bowl party, a live game or while watching one on TV. See those items on eBay? They have been worn by collectors. All of them. Whether it is just once to know what it is like to wear their hero's jersey or in one of the situations I outlined above. Go to ANY major sporting event and you will see game worns in the crowd. Hardly ever see one with "added wear" unless the seller does it to increase the price or mustard stains. I've rarely heard of a story of something dripping on a game worn either. I think it's silly to think wear and usage is added to a shirt simply by wearing it to one of the above mentioned places.

Now I realize that there are collectors on this site and others who feel this is terrible. You may even think I am exaggerating. You may become enraged and feel that people who wear these shirts are somehow damaging them. You are more than welcome to that opinion and I can see how this is a logical and in many cases correct way to feel.

But you won't change anyone's opinion, just like I won't change yours. That's ok, we can agree to disagree.

However, collectors like ndevlin and Suave1477 (collectors who I don't know but whose posts have been enjoyable to read) are the precise reason why this thread will not get honest responses. He asks for
    "[Collectors to] list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you."

Well, my eBay user name is LongIslandDale_Jrfan and my email address is the same as my username here. I doubt you will get many more responses as honest as mine because I won't be selling anything I am wearing and most people don't want to be blamed or penalized for doing what every other seller has done. If you feel like you are "weeding out" those collectors who have worn their gamers after the player you can start with my name and end when you finish blocking 90%+ of the other collectors.

I'm all for honesty and integrity. If you (and by you I mean any collector) want to sit back and think I am rare and wrong for wearing MY shirt, then don't bid on my eBay stuff and don't buy my stuff on this site. I can respect that. I disagree with you and think it's nieve of you to believe you are getting a jersey only a player wore. However, I would make the friendly suggestion of purchasing items only from companys like MeiGray or the team themselves.

Ironically, because I want to sell stuff here in the future, the items I list are authentics and some gamers I purchased to flip. These have not been worn. You can believe me or not but considering how honest this thread has been, I can't see why we couldn't work out a deal in the future.

In closing I will throw one more question out for the crowd. Wou;dn't you rather concern yourself with the fact that the jersey is an unaltered authentic game worn piece worn by the player and then once or twice by a collector rather than a fake?

(Sorry about the italics, they just won't go away)

I do not have any gamers that I wear, but I will after my birthday as my wife got me a Mike Stanton 2007 Reds cool base spring training used jersey that I will wear. Let's face it, it's a $42 jersey. It is far from ever being a museum piece. I would never wear a piece that I thought myself or others would ever deem significant in any fashion. That's juts me.