X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingjammy24
    • Nov 2005

OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'
    That's what the slugger's friend Albert Pujols says Ramirez told him. Pujols wants Cardinals to get in the process

Associated Press

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols is encouraging the St. Louis Cardinals to sign Manny Ramirez.

The Cardinals slugger, who won his second NL MVP award in November, acknowledged the team might not have enough money to land the free-agent outfielder

"I speak with Manny every three days and he tells me, 'Man, no one wants to sign me,' Pujols said today during a news conference. "I'm not an agent or general manager, but I can't understand how Manny has not signed."

Pujols passed along Ramirez's telephone number to St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.

"Maybe St. Louis doesn't have the money to sign him, but he could give them a discount because St. Louis is a great city that supports its players," Pujols said.

Pujols plans to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. He is coming off surgery on his right elbow.

"I'll represent the Dominican Republic while I'm healthy," he said. "The only thing that can stop me is if I feel any discomfort."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

rudy.
  • Rboitano
    • Nov 2005

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

The Cardinals cant afford anyone. They like to pick their starting lineup from the scrap heap every year, and the great local media sells it to the fans as a "great pickup". They have a large fan base, and have no problem selling tickets. They just have a problem spending some of that money on some players.

Comment

• Rob L
      • Nov 2005

Torii Hunter was on a local radio station and said he had a few sources that said to not be surprised if the Manny ends up in an Angels uniform. Here's to wishful thinking!!
      Rob L
      loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• camarokids
        • Jun 2006

I hope no one signs him!

But as long as team keep paying players HUGE contracts like CC, AROD, Texiera and so on. The players will demand big bucks.

It would be cool if Manny sits out because no one will pay him the money.

Any bets the Yankees sign him?????

Who has the biggest contract? Arod?

I know CC has the biggest contract for a pitcher...
        Thank you,
        David

This is my email address here!
        dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

The Dodgers offered Ramirez a contract and he turned it down. That throws out the "No one wants to sign me" argument.

Comment

• allstarsplus
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by camarokids
            I hope no one signs him!
            I know it is too much to dream, but wouldn't it be nice if no team signed him.
            Regards,
            Andrew Lang
            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
            202-716-8500

Comment

• markize
              • Apr 2008

Did Manny turn the Dodgers down, or was it Scott Boras?

Mark

Comment

• FastLane80
                • Aug 2008

Ned Colletti and Scott Boras are in a starring contest. Once someone flinches, he'll end up in a Dodger uniform. No one else has the money to sign him and Boras is starting to sound like a used car salesman by saying "I've had many people looking at it. You better pick it up before someone else does!"

Comment

• metsbats
                  • Nov 2005

Let's see what we have here. ManRam who didn't hide the fact that all he wanted was the most money he can get (remember his "price of oils going up" comment) represented by Boras who is the epitome of agent greed.

Well since then the economys down, the price of oil is down and so will the price of Manny's next contract.

Maybe Pujols can share some of his big contract $$ with Manny to help the Cardinals sign him.
                  metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• eisenreich8
                    • Jun 2007

I, too, as a lifelong Red Sox fan, would love to see that jughead go unsigned, but can you say: accusations of collusion? Could that be a predictable outcome?

Comment

• gamer35
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by eisenreich8
                      I, too, as a lifelong Red Sox fan, would love to see that jughead go unsigned, but can you say: accusations of collusion? Could that be a predictable outcome?
                      Yea, a lifelong Red Sox fan who would have had 2 less World Championships if that "jughead" was not on the team. Some fan you are...

Comment

• xpress34
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by eisenreich8
                        Hard to claim collusion when an offer has been extended (Dodgers)... Bonds tried claiming that last year because no team wanted to take him up on his DEMAND of $15mil for a one year deal regardless of when he started the season or how much playing time he actually put in...

I'm just thankful my wife and I both have our jobs, house and cars and these overpaid millionaire cry babies act like they're being ripped off...

Give me a break.

Comment

• Aksflyest
                          • May 2007

As a life long ManRam fan, I guess I'm alittle biased but I hope to see the man get picked up soon. He is hands down one of the greatest right hand hitters of all time regardless of how you feel about him personally.

It was dissapointing to see how things ended in boston..but I wasn't there so I can't speculate on why it happened or what happened behind the scenes that caused things to get so ugly so fast. Headcases like Milton Bradley get contracts, 2nd 3rd 4th 5th chances, and welcomed with open arms into a new team I would hope a future hall of famer would be able to get the same chance...

Keeping my fingers crossed that one day I wake up I see the tribe opened the wallet and brought him home to finish his career..but I think I've got a better shot of seeing the Browns win a damn championship before that happens!

Just my two cents...

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                            • Dec 2008

Aksflyest........you are absolutely correct. Manny is one of the greatest right hand power hitters of all time.

He electrified Dodger Stadium with his timely and monumental blasts in the latter part of last season. It was magical once again going to a Dodger game.

What I don't understand about all of his critics is simply this: Why is not entitled to seek out what his market value is? I believe he has earned his due.

Boston fans (at least the Manny-bashers), and their management, ought to be ashamed of the way they treated him while he was there, and now, after he's gone. The team signed him to a HUGE contract.......and I don't believe ANYONE will argue this FACT.....he delivered.

He was a free-spirirted dude, for sure.......but how can you condemn a guy because he doesn't "sit down, shut up, and be a proper respectful little servant"....like the Boston area demanded he be. You have to let an artist BE an artist......and if that's using the head between inning in the Green Monster.....go with it! Have a laugh with him.

But to start breaking the guy down, calling him "selfish, egotisticle, etc." when he's the superstar on your team? You all may seem to forget, after all the "Manny being Manny" garbage started, the team showed him the ultimate disrespect by WAIVING him to get rid of his contract. When no one picked it up, did Manny hold a grudge? Did he wine and complain? NO, all Manny did was take the freaking team on his shoulders to a World Series, earned the World Series MVP for you Boston brats, and in doing so ended am 86 year "Curse of the Bambino".

Then, LARGELY because of Manny's bat, you unworthy's won another World Series.

So the Manny bashing continued. Yeah, he became unhappy with it, and finally manned up and did something about it. I loved it. I LOVED HOW he stuck it to you spoiled fans and management in Boston, and.....I don't blame him. You all made his life miserable. So he left, and quite frankly, he SHOWED you what you did. You, not "Manny-being-Manny"....were the problem, Boston.

This is PROFESSIONAL baseball, people. You can't just "turn it on" because you "want to" like Manny did for the Dodgers. He just got himself into a better environment. And, after the Dodgers resign him (and PLEASE, make no mistake about it, the Dodgers WILL resign him....it's their biggest off-season goal), he will be playing for ......not the MONEY, Boston, he'll already have that.......his legacy.

And he'll climb the all-time home-run chart, and probably lead the Dodgers to their next World Series championship.

Thanks for the selfish and rediculously misdirected hatred to your best player, BOSTON. It's kind of fun watching your GM squirm, and make all of these silly acquisitions of all these recovering injured players in an attempt to pace the Yankees.

Without Manny.....you're nothing but a runner up.....hope you injoyed your World Championships while he was there, because it's over until your next once-in-a-lifetime "Manny" comes along again.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                              • Dec 2008

P.S. Sorry for the typo's and misspells.......I was in a hurry!

Comment

Working...