I may have been guilty of running amok in this thread and deviating from the underlying topic, but I respectfully, and personally, don't agree that "between the chalk lines" is all there is to appreciate about the game and its players.

One could overlook the hero police officer who pins his badge on each day, and busts a lot of crime for his community, but off-duty, decides to snort oxycontin, shoplift and rob banks. I know one who did. All this erased any good he did in uniform to the observer.

As did my 7th and 8th grade award-winning science teacher, who 32 years later thought it was okay to sleep with his 16 year old students (female).

Or my parish priest, in the Boston area, who became a monsignor and was adored by all, until the skeletons came tumbling out of his confessional.

I am solidly in with and one of those humans who are imperfect and make mistakes. I am a very forgiving sort. But I get no pleasure out of an Albert Belle at-bat or a Carl Everett at-bat or a Roger Clemens Cy Young Season when I see the person in the polyester, who is a public figure and performer who does indeed owe something more to the fans. Not chipping in even a few hours for childrens' cancer research programs is indefensible and rotten. How can the way one swings a bat make it okay?

All that aside, Manny's reputation has apparently preceded him around both leagues, his bat is obviously not as much of a catalyst toward yet another mega contract, when he lacks so much else. I'll start my weekend by predicting that Boston will win the AL East by at least 3 games in '09.

Everyone enjoy your weekend. Go AZ!