Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

New Uni Watch Is Up

Paul Lukas' Uni Watch is up. Lots of great observations about the first week of baseball. Check it out at

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=lukas/060413

Eric

2006 Braves Nameplates

I read the article that was posted. It is too bad the Braves are no longer using the Arched nameplates. I thought that always gave them the edge as the best looking jerseys. Here is the segment on the arched nameplates:

-Henry

Too bad the same can't be said for the situation in Atlanta. Mere weeks after Uni Watch had lauded the Braves for rendering their player names in the ultra-classy typographic style known as vertically arched lettering, the team has taken the field this season with the vertical arch conspicuously absent.

What gives? Why would a team switch from sleek and streamlined to boring and clunky?
    The depressing answer comes from Braves spokesperson Adrienne Midgley: "Prior to the 2006 season, the Braves used a specific lettering cut that was only available through special order from Majestic [the team's uni supplier]. So if we called up a player from the minors, we had to use a more basic cut that didn't match the other players' lettering until Majestic was able to provide us with the special lettering. In order to avoid having the names looking inconsistent, the Braves decided to go with the more basic cut."

Re: New Uni Watch Is Up

An Eric Stuckenschneider mention! Good enough reason for me to trot this out, with apologies to Chris Berman:

Eric "Stuckenschneider Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again"!