Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to Safely Pay for an Item??

Ok, so I was in negotiatiosn with a player for these "presentation" balls last week. We finally agreed on a price and I said, ok how are we going to pay for this? I suggested paypal and assured him I'd send an echeck so he'd pay no fees. He said "I don't do that paypal". Either a money order or Western Union minus the fees. I said I had no problems sending him a moeny order but that I needed to receive the balls before I sent it. I said no offense but no one here at the University has seen or heard from him for years and I have no way of ensuring the balls get shipped. He said he was not shipping the balls without the money in his hand. I said if anyone is taking a small risk it is him. I teach in the department he was majoring in, I am big into the fundraising clun Team Makers here. I would love to trust him, but I have no one to call or talk to if he simply quites emailing me back. He said he'd try and think of something that would work for both of us. Today, he emailed and said he can't think of anything. DO ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? Do I have any recourse if I use Western Union and he doesn't ship? Maybe someone in the Milwaukee area would be willing to help me out and get to meet a former NFL player all in the same day? Thanks for any help anyone may provide. I always use paypal and I don't know what to do here.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Re: How to Safely Pay for an Item??

I'm not sure how much money you're talking about, but I would split the payment and the shipments of the balls up. I would send maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the money, and he would send the same amount of the balls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Banned

Have the balls sent COD via UPS or another carrier in which you are familar with the driver.

You get the balls and he gets paid at the same time, and you are both protected. The driver can not deliver the package without payment, and you don't pay without the package.

The good thing is you can check out the package before handing over payment if you are familar/friendly with the driver.

You can also give the driver a check which can be cancelled if you are not able to view the contents before payment and the seller tries to rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Have the balls sent COD via UPS or another carrier in which you are familar with the driver.

You get the balls and he gets paid at the same time, and you are both protected. The driver can not deliver the package without payment, and you don't pay without the package.

The good thing is you can check out the package before handing over payment if you are familar/friendly with the driver.

You can also give the driver a check which can be cancelled if you are not able to view the contents before payment and the seller tries to rip you off.
    2 problems with your suggestion:

First, not everyone is familiar with the driver. MOST drivers will not let you open a package unless its paid for.

Second, if you write a Check for a COD and then cancel it, its technically fraud. Granted that if worse came to worse, you would be able to fight the charges and explain why you did it, but theres plenty of hassle that goes along with it.

Are you guys from the same area? Theres always the option of meeting at the school and doing the deal in person. Most people wont send you product until they are paid.

I think TFig27 is right on the mark with their suggestion. Depending on the amount of money you're talking about, split those payments up. Find out if you send half, the seller can send the whole deal and you can pay the remainder or split it up into 3-4 payments and each payment gets a portion of the deal.

YOU should choose what part you want though for each payment that you make. If the seller wont comply to the very reasonable terms, that would throw up enough red flags for me to stay away.

Good luck on your acquisition.
    Tom

perhaps an online escrow service such as:

https://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/consumer.asp

i've used online escrow services before for business equipment and it always worked out extremely well - but it has been many years and i can't seem to locate info on the company i used.

robert

It's $100 per ball and tfig's suggestion was what I was leaning toward. Send him $100 at a time and for each ball and hope for the best. I guess worst case scenario is I lose $100. Worth the gamble I guess to get these balls. I don't come across them very often, especially this many at one time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Banned

My suggestion was/is based on experience.

I know all my drivers and it has never been a problem to check something out before paying and or excepting.

I understand what works for me may not work for you.

Just another proven suggestion.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    My suggestion was/is based on experience.

I know all my drivers and it has never been a problem to check something out before paying and or excepting.

I understand what works for me may not work for you.

Just another proven suggestion.

Good luck.

I am just assuming if he won't go through the work of signing up for paypal, that he won't ship COD with UPS. I don't know. Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Where does the player live, maybe you can find a member here to pay the guy and get the items picked up.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Thats what I was originally hoping. He lives in Milwaukee. Scott Harpt??? Want to help me out buddy????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]