Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spring Training Worn Jerseys

What does everybody think about spring training worn jerseys? I'm not referring to a vintage jersey that was worn again the next spring but rather a new jersey with tagging specifying it as spring training used. See below.

1. Affordable alternative that still looks good; or
    2. Save the money and wait for a regular season jersey.

Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

Re: Spring Training Worn Jerseys

Russ -

That's an interesting tag. I've never seen a 'ST' tagging - but then again most of my Spring Jerseys have been Rockies or Rangers and the Rox don't do much tagging at all on their Spring Jerseys....

That said, a lot of factors could go into determining buying a Spring jersey or Regular Season jersey.

1) Is this a regular player (veteran) that will wear the same number Regular Season as in Spring? Or a Rookie/Prospect Jersey that may be his 1st MLB jersey and possibly ONLY Jersey with that # on it?

2) If it is a regular/veteran, the Spring jersey may cost much less than a Regular season jersey.

In ref to Point 1, I own Matt Holliday's 2000 Spring Training jersey - His 1st MLB Jersey w/ #84 and his ONLY #84 Jersey in existence - w/ LOA from the Rockies as well as a 2000 media guide showing Matt as #84 and stating the Spring 2000 was Matt's 1st MLB Spring Training. Matt's next Spring Training he was given #26.

Just some things to take into account when you are ready to buy from my point of view.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by russyurk View Post
    What does everybody think about spring training worn jerseys? I'm not referring to a vintage jersey that was worn again the next spring but rather a new jersey with tagging specifying it as spring training used. See below.

The real finds in these Spring Training jerseys is getting Rookies and 1st year players as those would be their 1st team jerseys.

Steiner always has a great supply of Yankees Spring Training jerseys.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

While my 2001 Billy Koch SP jersey doesn't have a year specific tag, it has a year specific patch. I don't know how many teams use patches in spring trainin, but I wouldn't think it was many.

You can see my entire Clemson Tigers collection here with over 30 items.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a83...eys/?start=all

SamFinley@charter.net

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKADixie View Post
    While my 2001 Billy Koch SP jersey doesn't have a year specific tag, it has a year specific patch. I don't know how many teams use patches in spring trainin, but I wouldn't think it was many.
    The only one I know of was the Dodgers for various landmark seasons in Vero Beach.

I have a Detroit Tigers spring training jersey of Andy Van Slyke. No it wasn't from his playing days but while he was a coach but at least I found one of my grail items and guaranteed myself it was game(or "coach worn"). As mentioned before the Tigers have a great game used mailing ,almost daily,to anyone who wants in:
    marc.Himelstein@detroittigers.com

My jersey tag looks just like the one that reads ST. Can't get to it to photograph because its framed showing the back. The Tigers use regular season jerseys in spring training only difference is the tag like above which is a benefit. I have a picture of Van Slyke wearing the jersey during a "ST" game so all in all I'm happy. Marc Himelstein is like like Steiner without the big prices so e-mail him and you'll get a list and regular mailings of just about everything.This jersey cost me $200. Prices are extremely affordable especially on game worn spring training jerseys.

That tag looks like a Tigers tag. I have three 2005 Troy Percival Tiger jerseys. The regular season home jersey and the Spring Training jersey are nearly identical, however, the Spring Training jersey has the ST strip tag and doesn't have All Star game patch on the sleeve. The road jersey was issued in the Spring (has ST tag) but then converted to a regular season jersey (All Star game patch added to sleeve). The Tiger Spring jerseys are cool (at least in 2005) because they were the same knit material as the regular season jerseys.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by russyurk View Post

The Verlander on ebay?

LB

Yes, the photo was from the Verlander. Kevin Savage Cards has numerous Detroit jerseys with the "ST" tag offered at a lower price than standard gamers.
    Russ - Always on the lookout for Jim Abbott, Team USA and Detroit Tigers GU.

I picked up all of the Percival Tiger jerseys from Kevin Savage.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com