Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: 1930 Bat Labeling

Mike, Jim, and Marcus,

Thank you all very much for the labeling information, your time, and efforts. This is exactly why this website is so valuable and informative. Thanks again,
    Greg

The stamping on the barrel varies with every signature model. The stamping die used for signature model bats also contains the "Trade Mark" or "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.", making each one unique. I have not noticed any rhyme or reason why some have the signature only, some have TradeMark above or below, and some have the Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. The vast majority of signature model bats I have utilize only the TradeMark below the signature. I have sidewritten bats from the late teens to the early 1940's with this same barrel labeling. The real fun comes in identifying specific centerbrand dies and comparing them with the sidewriting, giving a rough date range of when that specific die was in use. This comes in handy when dealing with non-sidewritten bats.

The photos on www.leftfieldcollectibles.com are an awesome resource. Art Jaffe is a great guy and easy to work with. He is very accessible and is willing to answer any questions you may have about old bats.

I was able to view an excerpt of Vince Malta's forthcoming book, and I think alot of labeling questions will be clarified when it hits the shelves.

Marcus

Marcus,

Once again, thank you very much for the information. This has certainly helped me in possibly making my first purchase of a vintage 1930 era game used bat.

Greg