Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Make me feel better?

HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think.

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.

If that had happened to me, I would kick myself. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if I got an email on Monday from the seller telling me that the Holmes jersies at $1500 had sold out and the website was a little late in reflecting that development.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused fan View Post
    HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think.

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.
    Yea it's one of those quick things that it's a gamble especially with that much money. If you can afford to lose it, then go ahead, but if not it might get you into trouble. Anyway, I think every collector has an item that they are kicking themselves over not getting, welcome to the club if you aren't already a member.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

I was thinking the same thing. Dont feel bad I guarentee you could have paid for the item to only see a refund Monday morning as the company will use that line in their website that says "prices are subject to change without notice" or some crap.

I tried to make a purchase of a Sean Taylor autographed mini helmet when i woke up and found he had passed away from a local dealer who had a signing with him not to soon before his murder. Price was like 70 on the website, made the order paid to only have it refunded and to tell me the price was now $250. Needless to say I was pretty upset and have not shopped with the seller since.

Cool Re: Make me feel better?

While it's possible you could have gotten it at the original price. I think that your window for big profits would have already passed. Even if they shipped it out tomorrow the few days in transit makes the window for max profit very small.

By having in hand now and listing it on eBay, you would have been able to really cash in, but after the first 2-3 days, the big window is gone. After 7 days the hype and high prices drop quite a bit usually. People will either have found what they wanted or after a few days realized it wasn't something they really needed.

Again, that's not to say you're better off the way it is now, as you might have made a profit but it's a gamble I wouldn't have taken because of the time involved. Unless of course I already had it in hand, then it's a no brainer, sell sell sell!
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan34 View Post
    While it's possible you could have gotten it at the original price. I think that your window for big profits would have already passed. Even if they shipped it out tomorrow the few days in transit makes the window for max profit very small.

By having in hand now and listing it on eBay, you would have been able to really cash in, but after the first 2-3 days, the big window is gone. After 7 days the hype and high prices drop quite a bit usually. People will either have found what they wanted or after a few days realized it wasn't something they really needed.

Again, that's not to say you're better off the way it is now, as you might have made a profit but it's a gamble I wouldn't have taken because of the time involved. Unless of course I already had it in hand, then it's a no brainer, sell sell sell!
    Hi, email at skyking442@hotmail.com at your convenience...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Given that the Homes jerseys were only worn for one game apiece, they were already overvalued in my opinion. Last night's hyperinflation only served to make them more overvalued.

One statement, though, that I have to disagree with in this thread:

>> A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl <<

That is absolutely not the case in Pittsburgh. His performance yesterday vaulted him into legendary status there with the fan base.

I wouldn't sweat it. I would bet that no matter if your purchase went through on the website, you would have woken up this morning with an email stating that the jerseys were no longer available at the $1500 price and they just hadn't been updated on their site.

You would have never seen one of his jerseys for $1500, not now anyway. Now in 3 or 4 months maybe, but not today.

I personally think you just saved yourself a ton of stress and frustration. It's a missed gamble I would worry about.

Feek better?
    Always looking for Atlanta Braves Game-Used items. hiramman@bellsouth.net

You bring up a quality point in saying that the website might not have honored the price. But I was thinking with a reputable place like that, they'd almost have to honor it? Or not? That might be naive thinking on my part.

Holmes is a good reciever, not great, not a HOF player but good and shined in a huge game. Just to put it in perspective here are a couple of guys, not as good but similar circumstances to his SB catch.

David Tyree jerseys will not command $500 even after last year's catch
    Desmond Howard jeseys have sold at auction for far less than $1000
    Dione Branch jerseys are nowhere near $1000
    Dexter Jackson jerseys aren't worth squat

Now if he dropped it (again! No one will remember that Santonio DROPPED the GW TD pass as it flew through his hands as he landed inbounds on the other side of the field one play before!) and we were talking Larry Fitzgerald's catch won the Super Bowl, then I'd say you screwed up.

In this economy, considering other threads like the HUNT Super Bowl Auction and the number of DNS, even at $1500 it was a risk that someone HAD to have it and was willing to pay huge for it and I would be shocked that after March 1st anyone would cough up even $2000.

Unless you consigned it to NFL Auctions where even scrubs sell for thousands, I think you made the right decision. Plus Jim Yackel has:
    Stephen Jackson for $1500
    Joey Porter for $1700
    Zach Thomas for $900

Those guys have a WAY better shot of making the HOF and retaining some of their value.