Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Card Grading

Banned

Re: Card Grading

Cohiba thats true too but one thing if I stole your card chances are youll never find it again wheter its psa or not. Thats reality!!! Being slabbed by psa doesnt mean much to theft protection.

Cohiba thats true too but one thing if I stole your card chances are youll never find it again wheter its psa or not. Thats reality!!! Being slabbed by psa doesnt mean much to theft protection.
    Well, it kind of helped me once. I sold a PSA graded rookie for around $150. This was before I realized you really have to add DC to any item you ship in the USA. So a couple days after I ship, this guy from the east coast starts demanding a refund, saying he never got the card. I was pretty sure he had it. I told him to give it a few days, but he just kept asking for refund.

So I finally played along and said it must have been lost and I would send all my scans of the card, along with the serial number to PSA, so they could keep an eye out for it. Also mentioned mail theft.

The next day, he let me know that the card just arrived. Yeah, right. He could have just busted it out of the slab and resubmitted it, but I guess he wasn't quite that clever.

For the record, I no longer own any graded cards. Just ungraded autographed cards. If I were to sell them, I might consider the PSA/DNA auto authentication slabs. For the autos I have, the fee used to be $50. Now I think it's $20.

Greg

cohiba,

I am a law enforcement officer and my SGC cards (and everyone else's ) have a serial number just like PSA.

Banned

So what does that mean? My point is this if I bought a card for instance from ebay that was stolen and I didnt not know they were stolen and when its gets shipped to me I put it in a box with my other cards and it never sees the light of day again, till i pass them down to my children and grand children so at that my point unless you have a search warrant for my house the cards will never be seen again until my family decides to do something with them.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Otis sgc is good but it depends what your looking to do with the card, Lets really think about this???

If your not looking to re-sell the card then why grade it, if your keeping it for yourself what does it matter if its graded. Put the card in a Toploader and call it a day.

To me the purpose of getting a card graded is if your going to resell it and try to get top market value for it.

Otherwise who cares if you like the card, you like the card. Period ended no need to grade it.
    I bought some cards including commons T-206s 50's Topps and I'm going to get them all graded with SGC. I'd like to turn around and sell some of them or all.. I'd hate to pay that 100.00 membership for PSA and I don't have a dealing that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    We have a Pete rose rookie. So i have decided to go with beckett.

I heard Beckett is harder on grading and that they're known for 90's to present. You should look into sgc for your Pete Rose card.

1. 1909-1945 = SGC
    2. 1946-1979 = PSA
    3. 1980-1985 = BGS

Personally, I dont want to pay the 100.00 dollars for PSA. So I'd use SGC for ANY card

This thread is 2 and a half years old - way to revive the thread Backdoorslider!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    This thread is 2 and a half years old - way to revive the thread Backdoorslider!
    I auctually found it interesting they reccomend SGC.

I was so far out of the loop I didn't know anyone used SGC.

SGC is king among true collectors. Not the card flippers on ebay but folks who want an honest appraisal of their card. All of my personal collection is in SGC slabs. I'd never use anyone else.

Interesting thread! Can anyone tell me their thoughts on getting NON-SPORTS cards graded?

Do non-sports card collectors consider one company "better" (more seasoned, more knowledgeable, more regarded) than another in this area of the hobby?

Another way to put that would be to ask, do collectors prefer one company over another when they look to buy graded non-sports cards?

I am a longtime memorabilia dealer and have been working on an estate with a substantial accumulation of non-sports cards ranging from the late 50's to the mid to late 90's. Should I acquire this collection I would like to have an idea as to what direction to go in with regard to getting many of the cards graded.

Thanks alot!

Rick