X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vintagedeputy
    • Oct 2005

Re: Card Grading

Originally posted by rickyrocket
    Interesting thread! Can anyone tell me their thoughts on getting NON-SPORTS cards graded?

Do non-sports card collectors consider one company "better" (more seasoned, more knowledgeable, more regarded) than another in this area of the hobby?

Another way to put that would be to ask, do collectors prefer one company over another when they look to buy graded non-sports cards?

I am a longtime memorabilia dealer and have been working on an estate with a substantial accumulation of non-sports cards ranging from the late 50's to the mid to late 90's. Should I acquire this collection I would like to have an idea as to what direction to go in with regard to getting many of the cards graded.

Thanks alot!

Rick
    Again, SGC is the way to go. You won't be disaapointed.

What kind of non-sports cards do you have?

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

SGC the toughest graders
      Beckett for the new stuff
      PSA if you like competition. (see PSA Registry)
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• David
        • Sep 2024

PSA, SGC and Beckett are all reputable graders.

Beckett is best known for the most modern stuff—ala 2001 rookies, but you will find older cards in their holders, including a few Pre WWI.

SGC specializes in Pre-WWII, but you will also find more modern stuff in their holders.

PSA grades the whole range-- Pre War to inserts--, but is perhaps best known for the ‘Topps era’ stuff.

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

In short, if you have a 1933 Goudey, 1963 Topps Pete Rose Rookie or Jerry Rice Rookie, all three companies can reputably authenticate and grade it. This collector or that will recommend one company over the other for a particular type of card, but all three are capable.

Comment

• xpress34
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
            This thread is 2 and a half years old - way to revive the thread Backdoorslider!
            It was 1/2 year old when it came back this time Deputy!!!

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Anyone have success with transferring a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10?

What were the subgrades for centering, corners, edges, and surface? I am wondering if PSA puts more emphasis on a certain subgrade. For example centering has to be a 10. Thanks in advance.
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com
              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• xpress34
                • Sep 2008

Just some FYI:

Currently, any Sports card ca. 1977 and before fall into the VINTAGE category for most dealers.

Me personally - I would NEVER use BGS/BCGG as I find it a great conflict of interest to put out the leading 'guide', while also grading cards AND listing cards that your company grades as more valuable than any other graded cards.

SCG - I have never heard a bad word one about them and - as was stated earlier - they are the KING among Vintage collectors when it comes to grading.

GAI - I didn't even know they ever offered Grading, just authentication services for autographs.

PSA/DNA - I've had my issues (like many others) with them over Autos I personally received from players being sent back as inconclusive, etc while they kept my $100+, BUT after reading this book:

I will NEVER use PSA/DNA or many of the Auction houses named within.

If you want to read the dirt about what goes on, you might rethink what Auction Houses, etc that you trust.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S. - That being said, I do have a 1951 Berk Ross Panel Set that is slabbed and graded by PSA/DNA, but it was purchased that way. I am considering sending it in to SGC to have the entire set regraded and reslabbed.

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by xpress34
                  Just some FYI:

Currently, any Sports card ca. 1977 and before fall into the VINTAGE category for most dealers.

Me personally - I would NEVER use BGS/BCGG as I find it a great conflict of interest to put out the leading 'guide', while also grading cards AND listing cards that your company grades as more valuable than any other graded cards.

SCG - I have never heard a bad word one about them and - as was stated earlier - they are the KING among Vintage collectors when it comes to grading.

GAI - I didn't even know they ever offered Grading, just authentication services for autographs.

PSA/DNA - I've had my issues (like many others) with them over Autos I personally received from players being sent back as inconclusive, etc while they kept my $100+, BUT after reading this book:

I will NEVER use PSA/DNA or many of the Auction houses named within.

If you want to read the dirt about what goes on, you might rethink what Auction Houses, etc that you trust.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S. - That being said, I do have a 1951 Berk Ross Panel Set that is slabbed and graded by PSA/DNA, but it was purchased that way. I am considering sending it in to SGC to have the entire set regraded and reslabbed.
                  The Card is a good read.

What i do know is the a SGC 98 will always transfer to a PSA 10 and a BGS 9.5 does not always transfer to a PSA 10. So I was hoping for other examples from those that collect/deal graded cards and have tried to crossover a card.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• chicagoglen
                    • Aug 2006

I have been in the graded card game for a long time and hands down no grading company retains value to your card better than PSA.

Now my knowledge is in Topps Sets 1954 - 1969.

I would regularly by SGC cards at greatly depressed prices and crack and submitt to PSA. PSA hands down will get you more $ for your cards.

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by chicagoglen
                      I have been in the graded card game for a long time and hands down no grading company retains value to your card better than PSA.

Now my knowledge is in Topps Sets 1954 - 1969.

I would regularly by SGC cards at greatly depressed prices and crack and submitt to PSA. PSA hands down will get you more $ for your cards.
                      Have you ever taken a SGC 96 resubmitted and get a PSA 10? Or what is the lowest grade you have resubmitted to get a PSA 10? thanks in advance.

Anyone with similar crossover from BGS to PSA would be appreciated too.

Regards

Joel
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• yankees.stub
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by yanks12025
                        HI
                        I WANT TO GET ONE OF MY CARDS GRADED. i WANT TO USE PSA BUT THEY CHARGE SOME MONEY JUST TO GET A SUBMISSION FORM. I WAS WONDERING IF GLOBAL AUTHENTICATION IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET YOUR CARDS GRADED.
                        THANKS

stay away from global if you can help it.

If anything, go with beckett - a little more affordable.

And worst case scenario, be friendly with your local trading card store - they have business discount with these authenticators. Only if you trust them enough of course.

I have sent couple hundred cards and tickets to be graded by psa via my friend store. Still waiting... have another month or so ....

Comment

• justinwc80
                          • Apr 2009

All the cards I send in now I use SGC. I have had great luck with my large number of 51 Bowman cards and find their customer service top notch. They also have great monthly specials.

Comment

Working...