Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's a Houston Oilers with 75th NFL patch worth (pics included!)

I bought this from a member of another game worn jersey forum for a great price. It's supposed to be a game worn Haywood Jeffires game worn jersey. Haywood first wore number 84 but then switched to 80, I've found football cards of him wearing 80 with the Oilers. The question I have is this jersey consistent with Oilers game worn jerseys and how much is it worth? I collect hockey jerseys but this is my first NFL game worn. Here are the pics I have taken of the jersey. Thank you in advance for any opinions and help you all can provide.

Has some small turf stains on jersey front

Name plate letters are sewn to the name plate and the name plate is then sewn to the jersey

75th anniversary patch sewn to jersey

tagging inside the collar.

Re: What's a Houston Oilers with 75th NFL patch worth (pics included!)

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw16511 View Post
    Haywood first wore number 84 but then switched to 80, I've found football cards of him wearing 80 with the Oilers.
    I think you got taken. Haywood wore #84 that season:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAYWOOD-JEFFIRES...lenotsupported

He also wore it in 1995, as per Getty Images who has a photo of him from a game that season.

I know he wore #80 with the Saints in 1996 but I can't find anything listing him as #80 (especially during the 1994 season) for the Oilers.

I could not find in my research who in fact (if anyone) wore #80 but I will keep looking.

Sorry for the bad news.

I will damned! I continued looking and found a card of him wearing a white #80 that year:

and then the blue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-UD-SP-HOUST...lenotsupported

That is the strangest thing I have ever seen! Why did he change for only PART of a season? Did they run out of #84 shirts?!?

So here is my apology for questioning it's authenticity (although I did it in an attempt to protect a fellow collector so I don't feel too bad)

As far as value, I think the fact that he:
    1) Was a good receiver
    2) It was worn during an important patched year
    3) Wore that number for only part of that one season

....you should seek as many opinions as possible from as many sources as possible. Since I recognize the name from other hockey boards, I'd suggest finding the NFL version of MeiGray and get their opinion. Either was it is quite a rare and interesting shirt. Nice pick up!

Banned

Size 38???? I think Mini Me wears a 40. Never seen one sized that small.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Size 38???? I think Mini Me wears a 40. Never seen one sized that small.
    I saw a Santonio Holmes on ebay that's a size 38 as well. I tried to put it on and I'm 6ft 205 lbs and it looked painted on me. I have a friend that has some NY Giants jerseys from lineman that he says just barely fits him and he's probably only 5ft 5 or so and doesn't weigh anywhere near what I do and those jerseys fit him tightly he says.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    I will damned! I continued looking and found a card of him wearing a white #80 that year:

and then the blue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-UD-SP-HOUST...lenotsupported

That is the strangest thing I have ever seen! Why did he change for only PART of a season? Did they run out of #84 shirts?!?

So here is my apology for questioning it's authenticity (although I did it in an attempt to protect a fellow collector so I don't feel too bad)

As far as value, I think the fact that he:
    1) Was a good receiver
    2) It was worn during an important patched year
    3) Wore that number for only part of that one season

....you should seek as many opinions as possible from as many sources as possible. Since I recognize the name from other hockey boards, I'd suggest finding the NFL version of MeiGray and get their opinion. Either was it is quite a rare and interesting shirt. Nice pick up!
    No need to apologize. It's awesome when collectors look out for and help other collectors. I really appreciate your effort! I also thought at first before I bought it that "that's not right he was number 84" then I checked ebay for football cards and found that he wore both numbers in 1994. I haven't been able to find on the internet why he switched numbers in mid-season. I do have a theory about it though. I found a football card that showed both Jeffires and Webster Slaughter. Slaughter was wearing 84 on the card and Jeffires the 80. I have to look at when the Oilers accquired Slaughter. Maybe Slaughter was on the Oilers roster that season as a new addition and got Jeffires to switch numbers so he could wear 84. If I remember right Webster Slaughter also wore 84 when he was with the Cleveland Browns.

Who is the NFL game worn equivalent of MEIGRAY though? I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible and I'd like to have some experts look at it.

Name:  jeffires.JPG
Views: 1448
Size:  28.4 KB
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I have a Barron Wortham jersey from that same year. I paid less than $200 on ebay a couple years ago when I bought it. I'm not an expert, and don't want to make any claims about your jersey, but there is one difference between your jersey and mine. The numbers on mine are twill that have been sewn over old screened-on numbers.

Aloving 77 thank you for your post. I also noticed the NFL 75th anniversary patch is sewn down lower on your jersey than mine. My numbers are screened on and it's a very thick screen if that makes any sense. That is a nice looking jersey you have. I don't know anything really about NFL jerseys and that's why I started this thread. A friend of mine found the email address for Mr. Jeffires. He coaches a semi-pro team in Texas and his email was listed on the team's website. I emailed him tonight and sent pics of the jersey. Hopefully he will respond back.

Mr.3000

I'd like to know the name of the other game used forum. Please email it to me.

Thanks