Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Anybody wear any of your game worn items?

WOW!!!

I am amazed and dismayed at some of the things I am reading here... and I'm NOT talking about the people who wear their GU pieces because - as I have said several times in this thread - I am one of them.

I have collected a BUNCH of quotes (edited by me to the points made - but NOT taken out of context) for the purpose of making my own responses in one (rather than several) posts to this thread.

And I would like to say UPFRONT - these are my PERSONAL OPINIONS and are in no way intended as attacks against any individual quoted - but rather my feelings based on previous posts in this thread... and YES, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some things stated in these quotes do feel like attacks on people like myself who do wear some GU items...

I'll start here for a jumping off point:

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    Here's a link to a page on my site about American Memorabilia and their desire to basically ruin the value of all these nice pieces of memorabilia:

http://gameused.webs.com/donotbuyfromami.htm

“This pictures have also disgusted the entire collecting community at the Game Used Forum.”
    The statement in quotations is directly from your site. Apparently the entire collecting community at GUU is NOT disgusted with GU items being worn by someone other than the original player.

While I appreciate your opinion, that was a very broad / general statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    Thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and Im gunna stick to it. When you wear a game used jersey, or take a few hacks of that game used bat, you're pretty much doctoring that item.

And lets face it, anyone that says they are keeping that item forever is crazy. Things come up. Things happen. People pass. It will get sold eventually.

I guess I see sports memorabilia differently then others.

And I wasnt saying I was full of myself, nor anything I said gave that assumption.

Ned - how is wearing a jersey in my basement 'doctoring' it??? I'm not working out in it or taking hacks in it to add 'sweat stains' or piling in the sleeve pit area form swings...

Also, I too took offense to the following statement - whether you think it came off as being full of yourself or not - it really iritated me:

Wearing a jersey around ... And someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it.

That's a pretty elitist point of view... basically you are saying that anyone who does not feel and believe the EXACT same way as you isn't as good / real collector as you and has no business collecting GU memorabilia. Whether you like it or not, that is what comes across to me from that statement. That's right, I have a basement full of baseball memorabilia because I dont' appreciate the hobby!?!?!

Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't give you the right to put down those who do. If you don't want to purchase form me or any of the many others who are 'wearers' (my newly coined term), that is your choice. But to put us down because it goes against your beliefs is almost as bad as being a biggot, racist, etc.

That said, I found this statement from Mr.3000 (from another thread) as a good example of what I'm talking about - given he shares your point of view of NOT wearing (although I do not claim that he shares your view of our place in the hobby) - I only know that he said, " I'll be sure to never buy a game used item from those who believe it's ok to wear their game used stuff":

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    So every man that gets a divorce is labeled as "abandoning his family" ? I guess it would then be fair to say every lesbian shouldn't be a mother since she's not married to a man.

Neither are fair assessments.

It's not a fair assessment for you to make the statement that 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it'.

You guys should list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    THANK YOU. I'm glad to see who does and who doesn't do this. I'll be sure to never buy a game used item from those who believe it's ok to wear their game used stuff.

Here's my eMail

xpress34@comcast.net

and eBay

c_cubed_productions

If you, Mr.3000, Suave1477, etc don't want to buy from me, that is your right and I respect it. What I don't respect are your ASSUMPTIONS of what 'wearing' a GU jersey means in most cases. You guys have posted things that make it sound like we have no idea what we are doing and that you obviously know what we do when we 'wear' our jerseys:

When you wear a game used jersey, you're pretty much doctoring that item.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    ... it is being altered by someone wearing it to the local grocery store or to get there oil changed on there car.

[quote=dcgreg25;122031However, I do cringe when I think of someone slipping on a high-end game used jersey of my favorite player and wearing it to the game or the mall.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    It kind of takes the "game used" out of it and adds a "wore it to the grocery store, baby spit up on it and it smells like cigarette smoke" thing to it.

Then when you sell it, will you say you wore it to all your home games? Changed your kids diapers?

YES, you are all correct! I wear my GU jerseys so that I can 'doctor' them by changing my oil, burping my baby and smoking a big ole stogie...

Like someone else said earlier, once it's GU, it's GU forever and always... if it has Provenance (LOA/COA), how does it become 'less GU'???

Next point:

Hypothetical Question:

When you decide at some point down the road you want to sell maybe these items whether to clear space or maybe you need a few extra bucks, How would you list your Jersey??

Will you keep it forever like you say you will? Nope. Then when you sell it, will you say you wore it to all your home games? Changed your kids diapers? Nope, I havent seen one sellers description stating that. It doesnt happen.

To that end, I have been more than honest in every auction or listing I have ever posted. If I forgot to add something, I edit my listings. If someone asks a question, I answer honestly and directly. I can't speak for anyone else, but again, you guys are making general statements and broad assumptions - unless you state for a fact that you have read EVERY GU listing ever put out on the interenet (eBay, Yahoo, GUU, SCF, etc.).

And to be fair to Ned (NDevlin), you aren't the only one who seems to hold yourself and your collecting habits in a higher regard:

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    I think it has something to do with how much I enjoy my collection and the level of care I put into my jerseys. Not saying what anybody else should or shouldn't do, just my opinion and how I handle my jerseys.

I have much more passion for the game than to treat a piece of it no matter how little it is as just a common player jersey.

Thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and Im gunna stick to it. I guess I see sports memorabilia differently then others.

That's correct - everyone has their own opinion... but to some of you, we are apparently just a bunch of 'mouth breathers' who have no respect / passion for the game or the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    Personally, I never wear any of my game used jerseys from my collection....just never really had the urge to. I guess I could see wearing something that you pick up at a fanfest on a rack of common jerseys with NNOB, etc. At the end of the day, its your jersey, its your call.
    My point is even if the person is a common player no matter who he is!!!

There may be a collector out there for that Jersey and lets say you have it, but to you he was just a common player.

Here I come along and I am looking for that Jersey, maybe it was my uncle, maybe it was a brother, maybe it was just a hometown favorite.

So SUAVE1477... let's say I have Joe Schmoe's ONLY know GU jersey and he ONLY played in one MLB game for 1 AB or 1 IP then went back to the minors and toiled for the rest of his career... obviously it would be considered a common jersey to most teams and collectors. So I buy said jersey for $25 from my team because it's my size versus $250 or more for an 'authentic' off the rack. I wear said jersey and then find out you're Joe Schmoe's long lost brother/uncle, whatever and you really want his ONLY GU jersey. Is the fact that I wore it actually going to make you decide NOT to buy it??? Be honest here...

And to finish my little 'diatribe' here, based on on the statements in this thread from NON 'Wearers', you all (for the most part - not trying to generalize here) seem to have a problem with any GU jersey that was worn by someone other than the player.

Like the comment that was brought up about a jersey being passed down by the organization to MiLB, etc... is it no longer GU by the Original Player??? Or is now 'doctored' (even though it was used in games) since it was now worn by someone else? I know a guy who once ended up with a Padres Jersey that had been altered by the team (doctored?) for another player. He paid $50 for it... upon further inspection, the stitch marks could still be made out of the previous player name and number and it was professionally restored... it was Authenticated (as restored) and eventually sold at auction for just under $10,000. It was one of Willie McCovey's GU that the organization had recycled (or 'doctored' in some people's terms).

Another one that comes to mind - and I will gladly scan a picture of him wearing it if I need to - wa sin the late 80's early 90's when Nolan Ryan came to the Rangers. His oldest son Reid had transferred from UT to TCU and he came to work out with the Rangers. By MLB rules he had to wear a Rangers uni to be on the field to workout and pitch side sessions... well guess what he wore? One of his dad's GU jerseys. Would you turn THAT jersey down in your collection??? I wouldn't!!!! (see my board name!) According to the 'preaching' here about jerseys should ONLY be worn by that player, that Ryan Gamer is now a DOCTORED jersey and quite a few of these guys (their words) would not buy it.

I bring these last two paragraphs up to show the absurditiy of some of the assumptions in this thread. My bottom line when buying a GU jersey - does it have Good Solid Provenance or LOA/COA.

As always - just my .02

- Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post

So SUAVE1477... let's say I have Joe Schmoe's ONLY know GU jersey and he ONLY played in one MLB game for 1 AB or 1 IP then went back to the minors and toiled for the rest of his career... obviously it would be considered a common jersey to most teams and collectors. So I buy said jersey for $25 from my team because it's my size versus $250 or more for an 'authentic' off the rack. I wear said jersey and then find out you're Joe Schmoe's long lost brother/uncle, whatever and you really want his ONLY GU jersey. Is the fact that I wore it actually going to make you decide NOT to buy it??? Be honest here...

And to finish my little 'diatribe' here, based on on the statements in this thread from NON 'Wearers', you all (for the most part - not trying to generalize here) seem to have a problem with any GU jersey that was worn by someone other than the player.

Like the comment that was brought up about a jersey being passed down by the organization to MiLB, etc... is it no longer GU by the Original Player??? Or is now 'doctored' (even though it was used in games) since it was now worn by someone else? I know a guy who once ended up with a Padres Jersey that had been altered by the team (doctored?) for another player. He paid $50 for it... upon further inspection, the stitch marks could still be made out of the previous player name and number and it was professionally restored... it was Authenticated (as restored) and eventually sold at auction for just under $10,000. It was one of Willie McCovey's GU that the organization had recycled (or 'doctored' in some people's terms).

Another one that comes to mind - and I will gladly scan a picture of him wearing it if I need to - wa sin the late 80's early 90's when Nolan Ryan came to the Rangers. His oldest son Reid had transferred from UT to TCU and he came to work out with the Rangers. By MLB rules he had to wear a Rangers uni to be on the field to workout and pitch side sessions... well guess what he wore? One of his dad's GU jerseys. Would you turn THAT jersey down in your collection??? I wouldn't!!!! (see my board name!) According to the 'preaching' here about jerseys should ONLY be worn by that player, that Ryan Gamer is now a DOCTORED jersey and quite a few of these guys (their words) would not buy it.

I bring these last two paragraphs up to show the absurditiy of some of the assumptions in this thread. My bottom line when buying a GU jersey - does it have Good Solid Provenance or LOA/COA.

As always - just my .02

- Chris
    Chris I found your post interesteing first the way you start off about not taking things out of context and assumptions yet you do it!!!

You mentioned a lot in your post which I am on my way out the door and cant reply to all I was reply to the latter part since that was the longest response towards one of my comments.

You said is it actually going to make me decide not to buy it and to be honest???

Ok, will I buy it? I will say chances are probably Yes because it was his only Jersey, but I again I do believe I answered this a couple of posts ago.
    But the question is will I truley be happy about buying it noooo, I would buy it while cringing that someone else then my uncle, father, brother, cousin wore it.
    I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it, I don't know about you.
    With that being said I could never fully appreciate me selling a Jersey to a customer that I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas!!

As far as your example with the McCovey and Ryan Jersey which is basically the same as far as another person wearing it. And I belive is basically the same answer.

Jerseys that have been passed down to the minors and such and the Jersey worn by Ryans son to me it's Jersey that stayed used within the game.
    Me and You are not part of the game!!!

WE ARE FANS ON THE OUTSIDE!!!

Chris I found your post interesteing first the way you start off about not taking things out of context and assumptions yet you do it!!!

You mentioned a lot in your post which I am on my way out the door and cant reply to all I was reply to the latter part since that was the longest response towards one of my comments.

You said is it actually going to make me decide not to buy it and to be honest???

Ok, will I buy it? I will say chances are probably Yes because it was his only Jersey, but I again I do believe I answered this a couple of posts ago.
    But the question is will I truley be happy about buying it noooo, I would buy it while cringing that someone else then my uncle, father, brother, cousin wore it.
    I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it, I don't know about you.
    With that being said I could never fully appreciate me selling a Jersey to a customer that I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas!!

As far as your example with the McCovey and Ryan Jersey which is basically the same as far as another person wearing it. And I belive is basically the same answer.

Jerseys that have been passed down to the minors and such and the Jersey worn by Ryans son to me it's Jersey that stayed used within the game.
    Me and You are not part of the game!!!

WE ARE FANS ON THE OUTSIDE!!!
    Suave -

That is a fair comment based on when I posted. However, I was writing my post when you posted that answer - and since this forum does NOT allow edits, I was unable to correct that. I did see your post after I finished writing and posting mine.

My one Pet Peeve here - no editing. If there was, I would have addressed and corrected that statement after seeing yours.

My apologies on that issue - however (again) you are making assumptions about when and where I 'wear' my jerseys ('I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas') ...

Also (again, the elitist theme here), I didn't know that unless I hermetically seal up the jersey as soon as I get it (and yes, I am being sarcastic - not literal) then I'm not 'appreciating' the jersey to YOUR standards.

And I'm confused... 1st you say the Ryan and McCovey examples are the SAME as far as another person wearing it and then you say the exact opposite a paragraph later stating passed down jerseys have stayed in the game???

And 'you and me are not part of the game'... I have worked in the past for Nike, Rawlings and the Rockies - maybe not as a Player/Coach, but I have been a 'part of the game'... but that's Apples to Oranges comparison I admit... but Ryan's son NEVER played in the Major's, so how is he 'part of the game'??? Are you saying that if I was a promising prospect and a Rockies player invited me to work out at Coors Field and lent me a GU Jersey that I have NOT doctored or altered that jersey in your eyes while I worked out in it - even though I'm NOT an MLB player or 'part of the game'?

I'm really not trying to nitpick here, but I would really like some clarification on where the NON 'wearers' draw the line...because it seems to be quite gray in some areas...

For me, it's pretty B&W - I either buy a GU with the intention of wearing it or not. Because I tried on my Walker '97 MVP jersey ONCE for about 10 minutes at my house before putting it on a Mannequin doesn't change ANYTHING about the jersey or it's Provenance.

Things do change - I bought my 2000 Holliday GU to wear - and I did to about 5 games (for pregame - then I get food and the jersey goes in a plastic bag inside my bag for the game) and then Matt's star started to rise. At that point, the jersey hit the Mannequin side of my basement. Same with my Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' MiLB jersey - worn to 2 July 4th games (again Pre game) been on a hanger in the locker since 2006.

Helton GU - inscribed to me directly from Todd - alwasy been on a hanger or mannequin - but again, like the Walker it spent about 5-10 minutes on my back before being sent to the display arena.

My Baker was like $25 or $50 - WAYYYY cheaper than a freaking 'Authentic', so YES it was bought with the sole purpose of being worn.

And just from my personal experiences - Holliday, Atkins and Baker ALL thought it was cool that I had chosen to buy a GU jersey of theirs to wear and show support for the team. I don't know about other players, but my experiences have all been positive.

I guess I don't only have to worry about you NOT buying from me - you probably WON'T sell to me either ('I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it') because apparently I have no appreciation of my collection since I wear some jerseys. You probably assume that I also play catch with my Vintage and Auto balls and bats and still put my cards in the spokes of my kids bikes... and I guess wearing the jersey (as someone else said - also sarcastically) must wear the GU off of the jersey?.?.

As far as that selling statement, you can say 'you reserve the right to refuse service' but it reads to me more like intolerance - again referencing what I percieve as an elitist attitude toward collectors who don't collect exactly like you and others here.

It's the differences that should make the hobby great, but intolerance even permeates the collecting world. If you have a better word than intolerance - based on the FACTUAL statements you and others have made in this thread - I would love to hear it.

Because again, while some have agreed - it's yours, do with it as you please - and some have agreed that they are 'wearers', an 'elite few' (if you will) have SLAMMED those who are 'wearers' for admitting it, doing it, and being involved in it. Hmmmm - still sounds like good ole American 'INTOLERANCE'... I'm sure I don't need to name referances to other things parts of the population haven't tolerated over the years...

First off, lets start with the basics...

My name is Nate, not Ned. My name (Nate Devlin) is directly under every post I make.

Secondly, about the restoration/altercations....

So if you were to buy a game ready bat, let your kid play with it for 3 months straight, and then decide to sell it. That isnt giving the bat any altercations based on the fact that your child added ball marks/8 yr old use?

And another thing....

People dont keep items forever. Things happen-- your kid needs college money, the economy kicks your butt, you pass(die)..etc etc. Your items will get sold eventually by you or your kids. So why would I want to buy a bat or jersey that has your blood, BO, bodily fluids, ketchup/mustard on it? When you sell these items, will you list these items as being done by you? Ive never seen an auction say..."Oh yeah, and thats my blood stain on the front from when I wore the jersey to every Cardinals home game last year", or, "The ball marks, yep, that was from my 12 yr old son several months back" Have I seen every auction? Im not even going to answer that, thats a silly question, but if you can find me an auction with the above stated in it, Id sure like to see it.

How about the bats that you promised never to sell. What if someone offers you $4,000 for one of those $50 bats? Would you accept their offer or keep the bat? It happened to me before, and I took the money. It happens.

And please, my collection isnt the greatest, by far. My knowledge isnt the best, by very far. For you to say "basically you are saying that anyone who does not feel and believe the EXACT same way as you isn't as good" Thats putting words into my mouth. I never said that, nor give that assumption. People are aloud to feel whatever they want. I gave how I felt whether you liked it or not, so at least respect it. Dont call me out on things when you dont exactly know the circumstances. For you to compare this to me being racist is rediculous. Come on now.

Lets face it, people feel/act differently than others do. People look/treat their collections differently than others. I know this, but I would give the same opinion on GU collecting if I collected stamps or old knives. Like I said, I can see all of us feel differently about our collections, and collecting in general. If I offended anyone with my statements, then I apologize.

And giving your opinion is one thing, but to call out 10 people by their quotes(opinions) with the novel you wrote is seeming like you are trying to cause trouble. You have your opinions, I have mine. Please respect it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Suave -

That is a fair comment based on when I posted. However, I was writing my post when you posted that answer - and since this forum does NOT allow edits, I was unable to correct that. I did see your post after I finished writing and posting mine.

My one Pet Peeve here - no editing. If there was, I would have addressed and corrected that statement after seeing yours.

My apologies on that issue - however (again) you are making assumptions about when and where I 'wear' my jerseys ('I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas') ...

Also (again, the elitist theme here), I didn't know that unless I hermetically seal up the jersey as soon as I get it (and yes, I am being sarcastic - not literal) then I'm not 'appreciating' the jersey to YOUR standards.

And I'm confused... 1st you say the Ryan and McCovey examples are the SAME as far as another person wearing it and then you say the exact opposite a paragraph later stating passed down jerseys have stayed in the game???

And 'you and me are not part of the game'... I have worked in the past for Nike, Rawlings and the Rockies - maybe not as a Player/Coach, but I have been a 'part of the game'... but that's Apples to Oranges comparison I admit... but Ryan's son NEVER played in the Major's, so how is he 'part of the game'??? Are you saying that if I was a promising prospect and a Rockies player invited me to work out at Coors Field and lent me a GU Jersey that I have NOT doctored or altered that jersey in your eyes while I worked out in it - even though I'm NOT an MLB player or 'part of the game'?

I'm really not trying to nitpick here, but I would really like some clarification on where the NON 'wearers' draw the line...because it seems to be quite gray in some areas...

For me, it's pretty B&W - I either buy a GU with the intention of wearing it or not. Because I tried on my Walker '97 MVP jersey ONCE for about 10 minutes at my house before putting it on a Mannequin doesn't change ANYTHING about the jersey or it's Provenance.

Things do change - I bought my 2000 Holliday GU to wear - and I did to about 5 games (for pregame - then I get food and the jersey goes in a plastic bag inside my bag for the game) and then Matt's star started to rise. At that point, the jersey hit the Mannequin side of my basement. Same with my Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' MiLB jersey - worn to 2 July 4th games (again Pre game) been on a hanger in the locker since 2006.

Helton GU - inscribed to me directly from Todd - alwasy been on a hanger or mannequin - but again, like the Walker it spent about 5-10 minutes on my back before being sent to the display arena.

My Baker was like $25 or $50 - WAYYYY cheaper than a freaking 'Authentic', so YES it was bought with the sole purpose of being worn.

And just from my personal experiences - Holliday, Atkins and Baker ALL thought it was cool that I had chosen to buy a GU jersey of theirs to wear and show support for the team. I don't know about other players, but my experiences have all been positive.

I guess I don't only have to worry about you NOT buying from me - you probably WON'T sell to me either ('I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it') because apparently I have no appreciation of my collection since I wear some jerseys. You probably assume that I also play catch with my Vintage and Auto balls and bats and still put my cards in the spokes of my kids bikes... and I guess wearing the jersey (as someone else said - also sarcastically) must wear the GU off of the jersey?.?.

As far as that selling statement, you can say 'you reserve the right to refuse service' but it reads to me more like intolerance - again referencing what I percieve as an elitist attitude toward collectors who don't collect exactly like you and others here.

It's the differences that should make the hobby great, but intolerance even permeates the collecting world. If you have a better word than intolerance - based on the FACTUAL statements you and others have made in this thread - I would love to hear it.

Because again, while some have agreed - it's yours, do with it as you please - and some have agreed that they are 'wearers', an 'elite few' (if you will) have SLAMMED those who are 'wearers' for admitting it, doing it, and being involved in it. Hmmmm - still sounds like good ole American 'INTOLERANCE'... I'm sure I don't need to name referances to other things parts of the population haven't tolerated over the years...

Well I think Nate said mostly everything.

Again I do find strange you say you don't want to nitpick and then go ahead and start nitpicking.

You ask for our thoughts and the want to debate our thoughts.

No one has slammed anyone we are just giving our opinions.

You keep calling us so called NON WEARERS (Elitist) well thats your choice I never called myself an elitist

What ever I choose to buy and who ever has worn, of course there may be some discretionary measures, I may choose whether just the player wore it or it was passed to another player. This is just my way of deciding what I want. You may have a black and white idea of your buying habits, I do not.

You say I have intolerance like that is a bad thing???? Your right I do have an intolerance and that is my choice of how I want to go about handling my buying habits.

I am not sure how you felt you should define or have the power to decide my tolerance??? Because us so called Non Wearers do not think like you is what makes us all american we live in a free country.

If you feel I have an elitist attitude whether i agree with you or don't, guess what, thats my god given right too.

As far as assuming??? You keep saying that not me. Because according to you when you describe your items you are going to be honest. So why would I need to assume since your gonna put it out there how you personally have used the Jersey.

First off, lets start with the basics...

My name is Nate, not Ned. My name (Nate Devlin) is directly under every post I make.
    Nate -

1st let me apologize for killing your name... I did see it in one post but I had cut and pasted the quotes to a note pad before I wrote (as I described it myself) the previous diatribe. For some reason Ned was stuck in my head.

2nd you are right and I agree with you that everyone has their opinions and is entitled to them, but I don't see any 'wearers' here ridiculing NON wearers for not wearing their jerseys. That is one of the things I personally took offense to.

3rd the main quote of yours that stuck with me - in fact I listed it twice in my previous post - was you statement that someone who wears their GU jerseys is 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it' - I'm sorry, but I don't know how you expect a statement like that to be received. I don't think their is any mistaking the words that you used. That sound pretty much like you don't respect anybody else's opinion on what they do with THEIR GU jersey when you say they SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOBBY.

Finally, I am NOT trying to start a fight, but if something rubs me wrong, I will voice my opinion here as well.

I honestly wish you and Suave and the others nothing but the best - I have nothing against any of you personally - hell we don't even know each other... but, I just keep hearing the same things said or assumed by some of the posters here. I'm sure some of it happens, but not every 'wearer' is the same or treats their items the way you described above (blood, mustard, etc.) - none of mine have any of that... except for a pair of Todd Helton Wristbands that I rcvd with a few blood spatters on them. Would I wear those??? No way in hell!!! Not that I don't trust Todd, but I don't want someone else's dried blood against my skin.

I am sorry if I upset or insulted you and anyone else here, but (as I said earlier) I feel by some of the statements I quoted that I had been insulted as a 'wearer'.

All the best -

Chris

No one has slammed anyone we are just giving our opinions.
    Suave -

1st - as I said to Nate - all apologies if I upset or insulted you (please see the post just before this to Nate)

2nd - you say no one ever slammed those who wear their jerseys??? Have you actually READ this post - including my diatribe? As I said to Nate, the #1 thing that set me off was his comment about people who wear their jerseys as: 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it'. Like I asked Nate, is their some other way I could have taken that statement? Sounds like a slam to me and as I said to Nate - it sound 'elitist' to say that we don't belong in the hobby. Can you really spin that statement to mean something else. It was not out of context - it is a DIRECT quote.

This is a DIRECT quote to - from you: 'I have much more passion for the game than to treat a piece of it no matter how little it is as just a common player jersey.' Now, if I'm taking that out of context, I'd like to know how. Again, on the surface of your statement it appears that you are claiming to have 'more passion for the game' than someone who wears their jerseys. Again, I take that as a direct slam.

3rd - I'm really not trying to start a big fallout here, but rather looking for answers to some of the attitudes that I see towards us who either do, have or will wear a GU jersey.

You say it's not 'slamming' it's opinion. Opinion is more like 'in my opinion it's not right to wear a gamer.' I could respect that. Saying someone shouldn't be in the hobby or floating the idea that someone who wears a jersey has less respect for the game??? That's past being just an opinion - that is a slam.

And as far as the assuming - again, my apologies if I offended anyone - but, I just keep hearing the same old lines (that SOUND like assumptions to me) that just because a guy admits he has worn his jerseys he must have done at least one of the following things... hanging at the bar, split mustard, got blood on it, went to the mall, changed the baby's diapers, burped the baby, etc... I don't know what else you would call it.

Lastly - again not trying to fight - but I put the direct quotes out there and no one has defended or explained their statements - but if you actually read my post, I explained why I put it on their and why it offended me personally.

All the best to you and yours -

Chris

For the record - since I have never brought up GU Bats in my posts - just jerseys - but I keep getting responses about the bats that I have not addressed - yes, I own a few.

Would I use them myself? No, but I have nothing against the guy who used one of his 15 or so Buddy Bell bats - and was nothing but honest about it's demise... he could have claimed Buddy broke it in a game, but he didn't.

And I listed every one of my current gamers - including when and how I wore them - and I am still waiting to hear about whether some of you think the wearing one time in your house for 10 minutes before putting on a hanger, a mannequin or in a frame is the same as wearing it anytime ever, period.

Look xpress, so I worded a statement wrong. We feel differently about our collection. I already apologized if I offended anyone. You've expressed several times now that that particular quote bothered you. I got the picture the first time you posted that.

One time, a dealer that has/sells many bats once called bats a piece of lumber. Maybe I worded my opinion incorrectly. I feel if someone calls a bat a piece of lumber, especially a big dealer, probably shouldnt be in the hobby anymore. We have different ways we treat our collections, obviously. You guys wear/use yours. I do not.

I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Thats that.

I can deal with people wearing gamers.

What I can't deal with are those who buy gamers and alter the name and numbers to have something of a different player to wear around.
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs