Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: wearing your sports memorabilia

I have never worn or even tried on any of my jerseys. I do swing my bats from time to time. But they usually stay in their bat case. I did wear a 1991 game worn Michael Jordan jersey about 10 years ago. A very wealthy friend of mine has a great jersey collection. I helped him acquire the Jordan and so when he got it he brought it over for my brother and I to try on. It was really awesome!
    Scott

No way. I'd NEVER wear a jersey...period. As clumsy as I am, something would go horribly wrong.

I am a pretty big guy - 6'2, 260, so not many Cardinals jerseys fit me anyway - other than Sidney Ponson or MAC. So no point really.

I pick up my bats occasionally and go into a stance every now and then when I am in columnist mode for my boxing website...helps me to think.

The main thing is - I smoke occasionally, but DO NOT allow smoke in my home.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Would anyone take their game used bat to the batting cages to hit a few balls? I am somewhat scared to hear these answers.

I used to swing a Ramon Hernandez BP bat at the cages until I broke it there. Currently if I chose to go to the cages I have a Ben Grieve Sambat that had the slightest of cracks in it from ST a few years back that I taped the handle up real good that I use and I have an Eric Chavez Diablo bat that I use at the cages. Chavy gave me the bat to use for hitting cause I know him from being an A's season ticket holder for so long and I was giving him crap about how thin the handles were on the bat and he said they are great and give him a better feel during the swing and he gave me a new one right from the box and told me to try it.

I agree if you never plan on selling the item go ahead and do what you want with it. Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    I wore my Chris Reitsma GU BP Jersey to a game once
    Really???? Well hopefully if you sell you be honest and you mention you wore it also.

I agree if you never plan on selling the item go ahead and do what you want with it. Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.
    But sometimes you think your not going to sell something and you run into money trubbles or what ever it is and then you have a jersey also worn by some average joe.....

Quote Originally Posted by bubbrubb25 View Post
    But sometimes you think your not going to sell something and you run into money trubbles or what ever it is and then you have a jersey also worn by some average joe.....
    That's what I'm thinking myself. What is one day our treasure is the next day expendable when we find something better.

And I think most of us consider it gross to buy say a Jeff Bagwell jersey and have John Q. Public wearing it around his house.

I would hope that those of you who wear your jerseys would think twice when you sell them. Full disclosure, please.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Visit my site Spartantiques!

Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.
    Sorry sir, I'd be willing to bet the overall majority (90% +) of items purchased from private collectors/eBay/Auction Houses were worn by their previous owners after the athlete. In fact I now expect that when I buy them, unless it is from the team, it was worn by the person I bought it from.

I broke my collection into only 2 groups. The ones I will never sell and the ones I may one day sell. In the "never going to sell" pile, I have only 5 jerseys and I wear them for special occasions but never around food, children or in weather that may cause me to sweat, etc.

The "maybe I'll sell" pile is nicely folded in large ziplock bags and put away in large plastic tubs to accrue value until someone who wants them more comes along.

For those collectors who collect to cherish their items as something only the athlete wore, I would suggest sticking to Team Auctions, MeiGray and those companies who sell Game Worn materials they receive only from the team.

Otherwise, sorry to tell you as someone who sells on eBay and other auction houses, no one who is trying to make the most money possible is going to disclose wearing the shirt themselves. It's wrong and deceitful but it's also human nature. I may sounds cynical but if anyone really believes only the athlete wore the jersey you just bought on eBay, you are fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Otherwise, sorry to tell you as someone who sells on eBay and other auction houses, no one who is trying to make the most money possible is going to disclose wearing the shirt themselves. It's wrong and deceitful but it's also human nature. I may sounds cynical but if anyone really believes only the athlete wore the jersey you just bought on eBay, you are fooling yourself.
    Where is your evidence? Why should we believe your assertion?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408