Re: OT - AROD admits steroid use

Just had my 49th birthday.

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
      Just had my 49th birthday.
      Happy Birthday! Mine was 26 January - 49!
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• ndevlin
        • Mar 2008

Oh , well happy late bday.

So what exactly were you implying about 20 and 30 somethings?

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by brianborsch
          Before we go around procaliming that players of the past were better than the players today, think about why that could be. Defensive players were not as good as they are today. Fields were in worse conditions. Pitchers pitched full games. Babe Ruth may not have faced off against the best pitchers of the game. Its too different to say. If Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb were alive and in their 20's today, i doubt they would hit like they did back then. The game is just different.
          Brian,

How is the game different? I mean.....BESIDES the rampant use of PED's?

"Defensive players were not as good as they are today"? That's quite a statement. Is that because they're FASTER? STRONGER? They handle the ball better because they wear better GLOVES?

Or is it, that what has REALLY changed the most........is the physical abilities of the superstars of the game because of something that wasn't in the "equation" back in the teen, 20's, 30's and so on?

You really think that Ty Cobb wouldn't TEAR UP today's pitching???

You really honestly believe that Babe Ruth wouldn't be the home run leader if he were reborn and played in todays game?

Really?

ELIMINATE STEROIDS from the equation, and from the pitchers who used them, and these two guys would DESTROY the watered down pitchers of this era, just like Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Tony Gwynn, George Brett, Rod Carew, and others have.

You are talking about the CREAM of the CROP in the HISTORY of the Sport.....baseball ROYALTY.....to say they wouldn't do well in todays game just isn't utilizing everything we know in common sense terms, IMO.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndevlin
            Oh , well happy late bday.

So what exactly were you implying about 20 and 30 somethings?
            Nothing.

I was "assuming" by the numbers affixed to to the end of the two user names that the two gentlemen I were referring to were of that generation.

And therefore are more likely IMO to be collecting items from current players.

And are therefore more likely IMO to have items from a group who are crashing and burning in society's eyes.

And are therefore probably more inclined to disagree with my earlier comments, as they might be more inclined to "stick up" for their guys.

Look, I own a few of A-Rods pieces myself. Am I happy about all of this? Absolutely not. Like I said before, I think this all stinks. We are all being victimized by a group that has been allowed to destroy the integrity of the game. Selig must GO.....that's all.

For clarification (again), all I meant was that in viewing the "record books", we all need to have a basic understanding that the numbers coming out of this era are skewed. In our minds, we therefore have to discount them for what they are.....tainted.

If you want to disagree with that, go ahead. But you're only fooling yourself. This is an issue that will be debated for many many years to come, but the outcome will be the same.

"Steroid Era" = "skewed numbers"

"Selig Era" = MASSIVE amounts of money for cheating players who lined their pockets along with the owners.....who loved it all, so they backed Selig 100%....all while ruining the records of baseballs immortals who played the game on a much more level playing field.

Enough is enough....it all needs to end.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
              • Dec 2008

[quote=ndevlin;122948]Oh , well happy late bday.

And THANK YOU very much!

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 3arod13
                Happy Birthday! Mine was 26 January - 49!
                I'm exactly two days older than you. Happy birthday to another smart Aquarian, Tony!

Comment

• schubert1970
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

[quote=suicide_squeeze;122956]Brian,

quote]

This is an ignoramus comment of monumental proportions.

Please look at the dimensions of Yankee Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium). 490ft. currently 408ft. to center field...so should we adjust all stats because Ruth had to hit in a larger park. Hank Aaron had it easy (park dimension), do you think his number is better than Ruth? I'm not saying one is better than the other. My point is baseball continues to evlove and change more that you would care to admit.

Jim Kaat admited last night he cheated while piching by placing pine tar on the baseball. Guess you better adjust his numbers too. Didn't Ruth drink during prohibition? That would have been a banned substance? The list goes on and on.....so keep thinking the game is as pure and the same as it always has been except for the use of PED's.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                    • Dec 2008

[quote=schubert1970;122962]
                    Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                    Brian,

quote]

This is an ignoramus comment of monumental proportions.

Please look at the dimensions of Yankee Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium). 490ft. currently 408ft. to center field...so should we adjust all stats because Ruth had to hit in a larger park. Hank Aaron had it easy (park dimension), do you think his number is better than Ruth? I'm not saying one is better than the other. My point is baseball continues to evlove and change more that you would care to admit.

Jim Kaat admited last night he cheated while piching by placing pine tar on the baseball. Guess you better adjust his numbers too. Didn't Ruth drink during prohibition? That would have been a banned substance? The list goes on and on.....so keep thinking the game is as pure and the same as it always has been except for the use of PED's.
                    Thanks for proving my point to a tee, schubert1970.

I'll just wait for another thread to have a debate with a baseball historian who can actually figure things out.......not someone who cares to discuss the incidentals of baseball over the years while ignoring the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING EFFECT on it's record books ever infiltrating the sport.

Regards,

ignoramus Steve

Comment

• nick1980
                      • Feb 2008

Look man if Babe Ruth is your uncle I'm sorry, I was generalizing about the older greats of the game. I will still stand behind my belief that those players wouldn't be the same if they played today. Did I say they wouldn't be good, NO. Things have changed. Hey I think very highly of Babe Ruth he was absolutely the best of his time and impossible to do a straight comparison, he was a larger than life figure. Also in no way do I condone steroid use and I'm not sticking up for the guys of my generation, all I was doing was bringing up a point that other era's of baseball have had it's advantages and disadvantages also.

All I can say is if these guys get into the HOF Pete Rose better also

Comment

• schubert1970
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

[quote=suicide_squeeze;122964]
                        Originally posted by schubert1970

Thanks for proving my point to a tee, schubert1970.

I'll just wait for another thread to have a debate with a baseball historian who can actually figure things out.......not someone who cares to discuss the incidentals of baseball over the years while ignoring the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING EFFECT on it's record books ever infiltrating the sport.

Regards,

ignoramus Steve
                        Guess racism wasn't all that big of deal either. Good Point!

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
                          As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
                          9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
                          8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
                          7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
                          6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
                          5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
                          4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
                          3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
                          2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
                          1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Mr.3000

Originally posted by joelsabi
                            Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
                            As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
                            9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
                            8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
                            7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
                            6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
                            5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
                            4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
                            3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
                            2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
                            1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”

LOL

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                              • Dec 2008

joelsabi,

Thanks. I think we all needed that. That was hysterical.

Regards,

Steve

Comment

• allstarsplus
                                • Nov 2005

Jamie Moyer who was teammates with ARod back in Seattle talks candidly about ARod and the Hall of Fame, etc. OUCH

Regards,
                                Andrew Lang
                                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                                202-716-8500

Comment

Working...