Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Banned

Re: OT - AROD admits steroid use

[quote=suicide_squeeze;122964]
    Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post

Thanks for proving my point to a tee, schubert1970.

I'll just wait for another thread to have a debate with a baseball historian who can actually figure things out.......not someone who cares to discuss the incidentals of baseball over the years while ignoring the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING EFFECT on it's record books ever infiltrating the sport.

Regards,

ignoramus Steve
    Guess racism wasn't all that big of deal either. Good Point!

Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
    As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
    9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
    8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
    7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
    6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
    5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
    4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
    3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
    2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
    1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
    As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
    9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
    8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
    7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
    6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
    5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
    4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
    3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
    2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
    1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”

LOL

joelsabi,

Thanks. I think we all needed that. That was hysterical.

Regards,

Steve

Jamie Moyer who was teammates with ARod back in Seattle talks candidly about ARod and the Hall of Fame, etc. OUCH

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._long_way.html
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Jamie Moyer who was teammates with ARod back in Seattle talks candidly about ARod and the Hall of Fame, etc. OUCH

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._long_way.html
    I will start by saying I do not accept any form of cheating or finding a way to get an edge on others.

Kills me how some accept some forms of cheating and some not. There has been cheating going on in baseball for a lont time. Cheating is cheating!

Putting something on a baseball to get it to do things it normally wouldn't do, is cheating. This act gives the pitcher an edge over the hitter. Is this fair to the hitter? NO!!! Is this cheating? YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I will start by saying I do not accept any form of cheating or finding a way to get an edge on others.

Kills me how some accept some forms of cheating and some not. There has been cheating going on in baseball for a lont time. Cheating is cheating!

Putting something on a baseball to get it to do things it normally wouldn't do, is cheating. This act gives the pitcher an edge over the hitter. Is this fair to the hitter? NO!!! Is this cheating? YES!!!!
    I agree. What records are unaffected by cheating? Where would one stop in revising the record books?

I Just finished an interesting book entitled "The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World" by Joshua Prager.

It clearly outlines the sign stealing via telescope perpetrated by the Giants in 1951 to win the penannt over the Dodgers. Thomson went on to a great career filled with endorsements etc and the homerun (along with injuries) effectively ended Branca's career.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    I agree. What records are unaffected by cheating? Where would one stop in revising the record books?

I Just finished an interesting book entitled "The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World" by Joshua Prager.

It clearly outlines the sign stealing via telescope perpetrated by the Giants in 1951 to win the penannt over the Dodgers. Thomson went on to a great career filled with endorsements etc and the homerun (along with injuries) effectively ended Branca's career.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/cheat...rry&id=2960346

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ds.html?cat=14

I understand those who feel that no one who has used steroids or other PED's should be in the Hall of Fame. That is a value judgment each of us make. For myself, I think that if you can separate a player's accomplishments from his steroid usage he should be considered for the HOF. For instance, if Barry Bonds had retired from baseball before the allegations of steroid use were made he would probably have been a HOF player. Suppose we find that Alex Rodrriguez only used steroids for 3 years (I know we can't know for sure, but make the assumption) and you subtract his time with Texas and he still was in the high 600 or 700 home runs? What would we do if it were found a player who has recently been voted into the HOF used steroids? Vote him out? I understand and respect those who say no one with steroid useage should be in the Hall. That is a laudable standard. But we don't ban players who test positive now and only penalize them by suspending them for various lenghts of time. I guess on this I'm more inclinded to be forgving and willing to look at a players entire career, but I understand the other point of view.

Honestly, who is clean? I think all this blaming of A-Rod is selective outrage, namely, finding a scapegoat for what everybody did. A-Rod shouldn't have done what he did, but he admitted to it, and now we as fans have to forgive him. Just like we forgive a nobody who tested positive for steroids. I don't think he is not a HOFer just because of steroids. He was also facing competition that was also on the juice.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408