Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Chris Boyd's Business Practices - Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman44 View Post
    I think with game used "fair market value" is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Sure Chris has done some unethical things in the past but if you agreed to pay those prices, the only one you can fault is yourself. Trust me Ive overpaid for stuff like all of us have. But I can only fault myself and if I didn't want it that bad I wouldn't have paid it.
    I was naive and was misled. It won't happen again. But I just want to make other collectors aware of what Boyd's MO is so that they won't be ripped off too. Next time, I will do more research. I am not the only one who is unhappy. I have heard from no fewer than five collectors that are equally as unhappy. Yet - I can't feel angry at myself for being naive. I can only have compassion with myself and know that I made mistakes just like everybody else does.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

For $1000, I would have first asked for some photos of these well used, dipped in gold, diamond encrusted batting gloves.

Now, the only way Chris Boyd will refund the money is if it is done through the legal system. He says that fair market value for the jersey is $1200. And I paid $3275. He refuses to refund the money. What a fraud. He's now telling me that the jersey was from a friend of Jeff's in California, even though I have pictures from the guy in Colorado showing that those jerseys never came from a friend of Jeff's. I am blocking all of Chris's email addresses. I am not sure I even want to remain a member of game-used forums.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Now, the only way Chris Boyd will refund the money is if it is done through the legal system. He says that fair market value for the jersey is $1200. And I paid $3275. He refuses to refund the money. What a fraud. He's now telling me that the jersey was from a friend of Jeff's in California, even though I have pictures from the guy in Colorado showing that those jerseys never came from a friend of Jeff's. I am blocking all of Chris's email addresses. I am not sure I even want to remain a member of game-used forums.
    I think I am confused. Please help me here.

You paid $3275. for a jersey. The seller then admits that it's only valued at $1200. then you pay $1000 for a pair of batting gloves that you now feel are only worth $250 or so.....and you now want a refund?

If that is in deed the correct trail of events, why is your overpaying his problem?

I don't think I am seeing the logic here.

While I agree that some of the sellers documented practices are less than ethical and I personally would never buy from him....I don't see how your over paying for a jersey and a pair of batting gloves constitutes thievery by the seller (i.e several times you claimed you were ripped off).

It seems to me, now this is just my take on the situation, you feel you were duped and made a few overzealous, hasty purchases. While you have every right to be angry I think your anger is misplaced.

This falls under the "live and learn" category. I would chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    I think I am confused. Please help me here.

You paid $3275. for a jersey. The seller then admits that it's only valued at $1200. then you pay $1000 for a pair of batting gloves that you now feel are only worth $250 or so.....and you now want a refund?

If that is in deed the correct trail of events, why is your overpaying his problem?

I don't think I am seeing the logic here.

While I agree that some of the sellers documented practices are less than ethical and I personally would never buy from him....I don't see how your over paying for a jersey and a pair of batting gloves constitutes thievery by the seller (i.e several times you claimed you were ripped off).

It seems to me, now this is just my take on the situation, you feel you were duped and made a few overzealous, hasty purchases. While you have every right to be angry I think your anger is misplaced.

This falls under the "live and learn" category. I would chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.
    So - if someone lies to you about fair market value - they can just get away with it? He first told me that fair market value was what I was buying it for. Now he tells me if I send it back I will only get $1200. Yet in his COA it says it's from an Astros clubhouse source. It's from a dealer in Colorado.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

So - if someone lies to you about fair market value - they can just get away with it?
    Lying is the cornerstone of the game used memorabilia market.

Always keep that in mind.

So - if someone lies to you about fair market value - they can just get away with it? He first told me that fair market value was what I was buying it for. Now he tells me if I send it back I will only get $1200. Yet in his COA it says it's from an Astros clubhouse source. It's from a dealer in Colorado.
    Frik,

I have nothing against this "Chris Boyd", don't know him, never dealt with him. Just want to make that clear. But obviously you have been hurt by a dealing you had with him......actually, two dealings it appears.

I have no idea what your feelings are in regards to lawyers, but if you feel you have a clear-cut case of misrepresentation (fraud), maybe you should make a few calls and ask for a free consultation. You will find a few that will talk to you, and possibly tell you if you have a case or not.

Just take my advice.......pay them only on "consignment", meaning they only get paid if they recover funds for you. Otherwise, it's NOT worth it no matter what they say. It would just be the case of throwing good money after bad.

Good luck in your future collecting, and don't hold a few bad dealings against this site. We all have had our share of disappoinments in our game used collecting....TRUST me.

Mr.3000

It's quite simple and has been stated more than once in this thread alone. "Fair market value" is only as much as you (the buyer) are willing to pay for an item....not what the seller tells you it is.

I'm sorry, but you overpaid. There's nothing any court, nor the BBB, will help you with in this matter. He set a price and you paid it. I still don't see the problem. With a little due diligence you could have found out that his items were severely overpriced and avoided this whole mess from the get go.

As I said, your anger is misplaced. Hopefully you avoid making the same mistakes twice. And for Pete's sake, I hope you don't intend on returning the jersey fro the $1200 refund he offered. That would only compound the mistakes already made.

Just offering my opinion on the matter,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Lying is the cornerstone of the game used memorabilia market.

Always keep that in mind.

I'll even expand on that.

I understand the cynicism, but I would say it's the old addage "You have to be smarter than the tool in your hand".

There is NOTHING like a picture match. NOTHING. It is more reliable than the athlete himself handing you an item and telling you "I wore it in a game". He could be lying. A picture-match NEVER lies. And the more pictures of the same thing, the sounder the proof.

Especially in regards to game used items, do your homework. Walking blindly into a sale, especially when it's for an item you're spending thousands of dollars on, it pays to be overly cautious and check it out as thoroughly as you can before you buy it.

Take it from me.....I learned the hard way once or twice myself. There are bad people making a living off the ones who allow them to. Learn from this and don't make the same mistakes in the future. Giving up....you are allowing this type of individual to get the best of you. Don't do that. Don't let the wrong people in the world make you feel defeated. The successful people in life all have one thing in common; They learn from their mistakes, and build on that newly found knowledge.

You are stronger now for it. Use that to YOUR advantage.

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I'll even expand on that.

I understand the cynicism, but I would say it's the old addage "You have to be smarter than the tool in your hand".

There is NOTHING like a picture match. NOTHING. It is more reliable than the athlete himself handing you an item and telling you "I wore it in a game". He could be lying. A picture-match NEVER lies. And the more pictures of the same thing, the sounder the proof.

Especially in regards to game used items, do your homework. Walking blindly into a sale, especially when it's for an item you're spending thousands of dollars on, it pays to be overly cautious and check it out as thoroughly as you can before you buy it.

Take it from me.....I learned the hard way once or twice myself. There are bad people making a living off the ones who allow them to. Learn from this and don't make the same mistakes in the future. Giving up....you are allowing this type of individual to get the best of you. Don't do that. Don't let the wrong people in the world make you feel defeated. The successful people in life all have one thing in common; They learn from their mistakes, and build on that newly found knowledge.

You are stronger now for it. Use that to YOUR advantage.
    Well said and great advice.