Roberto Alomar- sad story if it's true...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emann
    • Nov 2008

Roberto Alomar- sad story if it's true...

Didn't expect to read this first thing this morning...

• BaseballGM
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Re: Roberto Alomar- sad story if it's true...

I hope it's not true but if it is, I pray for him. Sports and life are two entirely different things. He was and still is one of my favorite players ever.

Comment

• dcgreg25
      • Jan 2008

What a terrible sad story...I am speechless. I hope for everyone involved that it is not true but my guess is that at a minimum he tested positive or else this woman will probably have a massive libel lawsuit on her hands. It would be hard to make up a story more bizzare than this.

Comment

• Mr.3000

Shocking as much as it is sad.

Comment

• godwulf
          • Aug 2007

I, too, sure hope the story isn't true.

Alomar was with the DBacks for a year, back in '04, and I remember in what esteem his teammates always seemed to hold him. Somebody told me that after the last game of the season, all the other players lined up at Robby's locker for autographs and souvenirs - that's rare.
          Jeff
          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• encinorick
            • Nov 2005

I can't image what that umpire who Roberto spit on awhile ago is thinking about now.

Comment

• mvandor
              Banned
              • Apr 2007

Denial means deferred treatment. Not good. Look at how well Magic Johnson has handled it for decades now. Hope Robby gets the same breaks.

Comment

• kingjammy24
                • Nov 2005

maybe i'm wrong but there are so many loopholes in this story.

- the article implies it occurred after he was raped by 2 men when he was 17. so he contracted it at 17 then and was eventually signed by the padres, blue jays, orioles, indians, mets, white sox, and diamondbacks. all of those contracts would've included medical tests. magic johnson found out he had HIV in late 1991. what happened? his career immediately ended. he "retired" but i can't imagine what team would've signed him. i also don't believe the NBA would've allowed him to play. what did alomar apparently do though? went on to play for 16 more seasons! for 16 years, no team medical, no league medical ever caught the fact the had "full blown AIDS". wow. he suffered from "fatigue". that's news to anyone who ever watched him play throughout the entire 90s. 12x all-star, 10x gold gloves, 4x silver sluggers, '92 ALCS MVP, etc all while suffering from fatigue and full-blown AIDS. incredible. full-blown AIDS since he was 17 and the guy managed to play like an absolute monster for 10 yrs after.

- he contracted it at 17. he's now 41. here's alomar in 2008 at a blue jays ceremony:

not bad for a guy who suffers from "cough, fatigue, shingles, purple skin, a foaming mouth, has full-blown AIDS, cold sores, thrush, a yeast infection, a blood disorder, persistant cough, and is bed-ridden". i look worse on a sunday morning and i don't suffer from any of those things.

- "They broke up last October. She is demanding at least $15 million in punitive damages, claiming Alomar caused her emotional distress and exposed her children to the virus." they had unprotected sex, she later tested negative and she wants $15 million for "emotional distress". and she decided to go public with the lawsuit. how did he manage to expose her children to the virus? was he sharing needles with them? was he having sex with them? or did he just leave his cooties all over the place?

rudy.

Comment

• Mr.3000

Originally posted by kingjammy24
                  maybe i'm wrong but there are so many loopholes in this story.

- the article implies it occurred after he was raped by 2 men when he was 17. so he contracted it at 17 then and was eventually signed by the padres, blue jays, orioles, indians, mets, white sox, and diamondbacks. all of those contracts would've included medical tests. magic johnson found out he had HIV in late 1991. what happened? his career immediately ended. he "retired" but i can't imagine what team would've signed him. i also don't believe the NBA would've allowed him to play. what did alomar apparently do though? went on to play for 16 more seasons! for 16 years, no team medical, no league medical ever caught the fact the had "full blown AIDS". wow. he suffered from "fatigue". that's news to anyone who ever watched him play throughout the entire 90s. 12x all-star, 10x gold gloves, 4x silver sluggers, '92 ALCS MVP, etc all while suffering from fatigue and full-blown AIDS. incredible. full-blown AIDS since he was 17 and the guy managed to play like an absolute monster for 10 yrs after.

- he contracted it at 17. he's now 41. here's alomar in 2008 at a blue jays ceremony:

not bad for a guy who suffers from "cough, fatigue, shingles, purple skin, a foaming mouth, has full-blown AIDS, cold sores, thrush, a yeast infection, a blood disorder, persistant cough, and is bed-ridden". i look worse on a sunday morning and i don't suffer from any of those things.

- "They broke up last October. She is demanding at least $15 million in punitive damages, claiming Alomar caused her emotional distress and exposed her children to the virus." they had unprotected sex, she later tested negative and she wants $15 million for "emotional distress". and she decided to go public with the lawsuit. how did he manage to expose her children to the virus? was he sharing needles with them? was he having sex with them? or did he just leave his cooties all over the place?

rudy.

You're making the assumption that he contracted it at 17. That's not what the article said. It didn't say he contracted it right after getting raped by two men, it merely stated he was raped by two men.

He could have contacted HIV at any time. There have been many rumors over the years that he is homosexual but at the very least bi-sexual. There were rumors that he had an affair with a Indian teammate and there were rumors about him and Brady Anderson in Baltimore. If these rumors are true...he could have contracted it from any number of partners (male or female) throughout the years.

To the best of my knowledge you have to be specifically tested for HIV. No random team medical test do. He could have very well been HIV positive from 2005 to recent ...and his HIV turned to full blown AIDS.

We don't know the entire story...even if there is one....everything right now is speculation based off of his ex's claims.

I'd like to hear a response from him or his attorney.

Comment

• emann
                    • Nov 2008

I don't believe team medical tests include HIV testing in any professional sports. If I remember correctly, Magic was diagnosed as part of his testing for his life insurance not a team required test. If Alomar was advised to get one in the 90's but continued to refuse them, it is theoretical that he could not have known.

I'd agree with the earlier comment that if this wasn't at least a partially true story, both the NY Daily News (who open the article with "Baseball great Roberto Alomar has full-blown AIDS...") and the woman suing him would be facing huge libel suits. Since he can't sue for libel if it's the truth , we'll need to see if this happens...

Comment

• cjw
                      • Oct 2006

Shocking allegations and very sad if true.

I met Roberto in 1994 and saw him almost everyday that he was not on the road in Toronto for the next two seasons. He lived in a 3-suite "apartment" in the SkyDome Hotel, where I worked as Room Service Manager and then Concierge. Interestingly, Roger Clemens took over the suite in 1997 and 1998 when he too lived in the Hotel, in season.

Robbie was always a great guy to speak to. Treated staff very well and has a great personality and sense of humour. He lived the eligible bachelor life. Parties, groupees, hangers-on were common. Nothing unusual there, considering the money and fame etc.

I won't comment on things speculated but wish him the best.

chris
                      WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• kingjammy24
                        • Nov 2005

ok so the article just mentioned the rape but didn't intend for it to actually have anything to do with the story. my mistake. i guess they decided to be efficient and just wrap 2 unrelated stories into 1: alomar got raped once and oh yeah, he's got aids. but we don't mean to imply there's any correlation between the two stories.

"He could have very well been HIV positive from 2005 to recent ...and his HIV turned to full blown AIDS."

according to the story, the couple's relationship began in 2002. "..she lived with the ex-Met for three years and watched in horror as his health worsened... Alomar's skin had turned purple, he was foaming at the mouth and a spinal tap "showed he had full-blown AIDS," the suit says... In 2004, Dall says she noticed cold sores in his mouth. In 2005, after a physical exam ordered by the Tampa Bay Rays, he was diagnosed with thrombocytopenia purpura, a blood disorder sometimes linked to HIV, she claims..It goes on to say that around the same time Alomar developed a persistent cough and was bedridden with extreme fatigue. He developed thrush, a yeast infection.."

from the article, she "watched in horror as his health worsened", from 2002-2005, during the 3 years she lived with him. clearly these symptoms are alleged to have occurred before 2005. so they started a relationship in 2002 and she watched in horror as he turned into some version of the elephant man complete with purple skin and foaming mouth. here are 4 photos from that time period. 1 from 2002, 1 from 2003, 1 from 2004, and 1 from 2005. this is a man whose health his girlfriend was watching deteriorate "in horror" during these years:

"To the best of my knowledge you have to be specifically tested for HIV. No random team medical test do."

teams don't simply issue "random" medical tests. in signing a player, medical tests are a stipulation. you're about to pay millions and millions of dollars for a player (alomar made over $76mm in his career. in 2003 alone, the mets paid him $8mm), you're going to ensure that you're getting a healthy player. you don't pay $8mm a season and cross your fingers and say "we hope he's ok! maybe sometime down the season, we'll give him a random medical test". you're going to make the contract contingent on a complete physical. apparently, alomar passed all the physicals.

secondly, all of these players are insured. when they go on the DL and cost the team millions, for example, the teams file a disability insurance claim with the insurer. ever wonder why player contracts are filled with "dangerous activities" clauses? because if the player engages in certain activities, then they can't get insured. these are incredibly valuable investments on behalf of the team and they're insured to high heaven. you don't think an insurance company, in insuring a player for millions, is going require a full range of tests first? how did magic johnson actually discover he had HIV? "Johnson discovered his condition when he tried to obtain life insurance and tested positive on the compulsory HIV test conducted by Lakers team doctor Dr. Michael Mellman". so the Lakers had a compulsory HIV test in 1991, but the white sox, indians, mets never had anything of the sort in 2002-2005, right? after the magic johnson incident, most teams probably didn't get on board with mandatory HIV testing, right? after all, these are multi-million dollar investments, who often incur cuts or abrasions, and often sharing close quarters. why bother with HIV testing right?

"Early in the evening of October 25, as I walked into the offices of Dr. Michael Mellman, a Los Angeles Laker team physician and one of my personal doctors, I was more curious than worried. I had been rejected for a life-insurance policy that the Lakers had tried to purchase.."

you're saying a $76 million dollar athlete, who played consecutively for 16 seasons, as recently as 2004, for 7 different teams, was never subjected to a mandatory HIV/AIDS test from either the team or the insurance company and that such results never revealed themselves in any testing from the team and/or insurance company? this guy, reportedly during his playing years, was turning into a purple-skinned, foamy-mouthed, fatigued creature and yet in 2002, managed to hang in for 590 ABs and in 2003 516 ABs, all while managing to keep his apparently visible and grotesque condition a complete secret from the insurance companies and the teams. as i said, it could be true but a lot of things don't seem to add up.

rudy.

Comment

• kingjammy24
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by emann
                          I don't believe team medical tests include HIV testing in any professional sports. If I remember correctly, Magic was diagnosed as part of his testing for his life insurance not a team required test.
                          from Sports Illustrated:

"Early in the evening of October 25, as I walked into the offices of Dr. Michael Mellman, a Los Angeles Laker team physician and one of my personal doctors, I was more curious than worried. I had been rejected for a life-insurance policy that the Lakers had tried to purchase ..."

it was a test required by the insurance company for a policy that the team had tried to purchase for johnson.

rudy.

Comment

• Mr.3000

You know as much as I do right now Jammy....nothing more than what the article says...and all from her perspective.

We'll all have to sit and wait to see how this unfolds. And see what Alomar's response is...if and when he makes one either personally or through his attorney.

Until then all the pictures in the world and all the assumptions and or speculation don't make anything more or less factual.

Comment

• emann
                              • Nov 2008

Jammy-

If you have the desire to Google past what I just did, feel free. But I found this from 1996 (4? years after Magic)...

"Most major sports organizations in this country - including professional basketball, baseball, football and hockey, the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the U.S. Olympic Committee - have policies concerning HIV and AIDS awareness and infection-control standards. However, none plans to institute mandatory testing because it might be challenged on civil-libertarian grounds. National Football League players do not have to leave the field if they are bleeding, but professional basketball and hockey players do."

I didn't elaborate but as said above it is a privacy issue for HIV testing. Magic was probably an exception to the rule in that he got tested by the Lakers. I'm still relatively certain that no sport has a mandatory test. Baseball isn't a contact sport and the players have a very strong union, so I'm sure MLB has even interest to fight for testing (and we've seen how slow to test for other things they've been) than the NFL. This means if Alomar didn't want to be tested- he would not be tested. The article says he only found out because he fell very ill and needed a spinal tap. They allege to have determined he had HIV as a result of that.

I took the comment about him being raped basically as a tactic used in the lawsuit to humiliate him and make a comment regarding his sexual disfunction (and possibly his sexual orientation). Either way, it was low class to include that in the suit...

The pics you posted mean nothing as to his health status.

Comment

Working...