Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Roberto Alomar- sad story if it's true...

Didn't expect to read this first thing this morning...

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/20...o_alomar_.html

Banned

Re: Roberto Alomar- sad story if it's true...

I hope it's not true but if it is, I pray for him. Sports and life are two entirely different things. He was and still is one of my favorite players ever.

What a terrible sad story...I am speechless. I hope for everyone involved that it is not true but my guess is that at a minimum he tested positive or else this woman will probably have a massive libel lawsuit on her hands. It would be hard to make up a story more bizzare than this.

Mr.3000

Shocking as much as it is sad.

I, too, sure hope the story isn't true.

Alomar was with the DBacks for a year, back in '04, and I remember in what esteem his teammates always seemed to hold him. Somebody told me that after the last game of the season, all the other players lined up at Robby's locker for autographs and souvenirs - that's rare.

I can't image what that umpire who Roberto spit on awhile ago is thinking about now.

Banned

Denial means deferred treatment. Not good. Look at how well Magic Johnson has handled it for decades now. Hope Robby gets the same breaks.

maybe i'm wrong but there are so many loopholes in this story.

- the article implies it occurred after he was raped by 2 men when he was 17. so he contracted it at 17 then and was eventually signed by the padres, blue jays, orioles, indians, mets, white sox, and diamondbacks. all of those contracts would've included medical tests. magic johnson found out he had HIV in late 1991. what happened? his career immediately ended. he "retired" but i can't imagine what team would've signed him. i also don't believe the NBA would've allowed him to play. what did alomar apparently do though? went on to play for 16 more seasons! for 16 years, no team medical, no league medical ever caught the fact the had "full blown AIDS". wow. he suffered from "fatigue". that's news to anyone who ever watched him play throughout the entire 90s. 12x all-star, 10x gold gloves, 4x silver sluggers, '92 ALCS MVP, etc all while suffering from fatigue and full-blown AIDS. incredible. full-blown AIDS since he was 17 and the guy managed to play like an absolute monster for 10 yrs after.

- he contracted it at 17. he's now 41. here's alomar in 2008 at a blue jays ceremony:

not bad for a guy who suffers from "cough, fatigue, shingles, purple skin, a foaming mouth, has full-blown AIDS, cold sores, thrush, a yeast infection, a blood disorder, persistant cough, and is bed-ridden". i look worse on a sunday morning and i don't suffer from any of those things.

- "They broke up last October. She is demanding at least $15 million in punitive damages, claiming Alomar caused her emotional distress and exposed her children to the virus." they had unprotected sex, she later tested negative and she wants $15 million for "emotional distress". and she decided to go public with the lawsuit. how did he manage to expose her children to the virus? was he sharing needles with them? was he having sex with them? or did he just leave his cooties all over the place?

rudy.

Mr.3000

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    maybe i'm wrong but there are so many loopholes in this story.

- the article implies it occurred after he was raped by 2 men when he was 17. so he contracted it at 17 then and was eventually signed by the padres, blue jays, orioles, indians, mets, white sox, and diamondbacks. all of those contracts would've included medical tests. magic johnson found out he had HIV in late 1991. what happened? his career immediately ended. he "retired" but i can't imagine what team would've signed him. i also don't believe the NBA would've allowed him to play. what did alomar apparently do though? went on to play for 16 more seasons! for 16 years, no team medical, no league medical ever caught the fact the had "full blown AIDS". wow. he suffered from "fatigue". that's news to anyone who ever watched him play throughout the entire 90s. 12x all-star, 10x gold gloves, 4x silver sluggers, '92 ALCS MVP, etc all while suffering from fatigue and full-blown AIDS. incredible. full-blown AIDS since he was 17 and the guy managed to play like an absolute monster for 10 yrs after.

- he contracted it at 17. he's now 41. here's alomar in 2008 at a blue jays ceremony:

not bad for a guy who suffers from "cough, fatigue, shingles, purple skin, a foaming mouth, has full-blown AIDS, cold sores, thrush, a yeast infection, a blood disorder, persistant cough, and is bed-ridden". i look worse on a sunday morning and i don't suffer from any of those things.

- "They broke up last October. She is demanding at least $15 million in punitive damages, claiming Alomar caused her emotional distress and exposed her children to the virus." they had unprotected sex, she later tested negative and she wants $15 million for "emotional distress". and she decided to go public with the lawsuit. how did he manage to expose her children to the virus? was he sharing needles with them? was he having sex with them? or did he just leave his cooties all over the place?

rudy.

You're making the assumption that he contracted it at 17. That's not what the article said. It didn't say he contracted it right after getting raped by two men, it merely stated he was raped by two men.

He could have contacted HIV at any time. There have been many rumors over the years that he is homosexual but at the very least bi-sexual. There were rumors that he had an affair with a Indian teammate and there were rumors about him and Brady Anderson in Baltimore. If these rumors are true...he could have contracted it from any number of partners (male or female) throughout the years.

To the best of my knowledge you have to be specifically tested for HIV. No random team medical test do. He could have very well been HIV positive from 2005 to recent ...and his HIV turned to full blown AIDS.

We don't know the entire story...even if there is one....everything right now is speculation based off of his ex's claims.

I'd like to hear a response from him or his attorney.

I don't believe team medical tests include HIV testing in any professional sports. If I remember correctly, Magic was diagnosed as part of his testing for his life insurance not a team required test. If Alomar was advised to get one in the 90's but continued to refuse them, it is theoretical that he could not have known.

I'd agree with the earlier comment that if this wasn't at least a partially true story, both the NY Daily News (who open the article with "Baseball great Roberto Alomar has full-blown AIDS...") and the woman suing him would be facing huge libel suits. Since he can't sue for libel if it's the truth , we'll need to see if this happens...