Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Player provenance down the tubes?

how many collectors get items directly from a player these days? if i'm correct in assuming that not many, then i would think that provenance is the same leap of faith it has always been in that, typically, a middleman is usually involved who tells the collector that the game used item came directly from the player. i think a scarier question is which is easier for a collector to swallow: a) a player that lies about steroid use wouldn't lie about his game used equipment or b) a player that knows full well the money to be had in game used items wouldn't lie about his game used equipment.

robert

Re: Player provenance down the tubes?

Rudy - Player provenance is not down the tubes if you work with athletes with character and honesty and integrity.

I had a sitdown recently with a player. He brought all of his equipment that he kept from the year and I was going to buy it all.

Great stuff. I came across a bat of his that didn't have the same characteristics as the others and I asked him about that particular bat. He picked it up and said, yah the clubhouse guy must have stuck it in my bag and this was used by another player. He tossed it aside.

All was good and made me feel confident in the items that were coming direct from the player.

After the meeting, I spent time style matching all the items. After doing my follow-up analysis, I felt absolutely 100% confident in the provenance as I was able to photomatch a few items and stylematch all of the items. A pair of cleats I photomatched to a key game and a fellow forum member photomatched a bat and cleats to a HR game.

My advice is, even if it comes straight from the player you still should do your homework.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500