Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
years ago, before this steroid mess, player provenance was usually taken as gospel. if johnny ballplayer said he used a jersey/glove/bat, then what more could you ask for!

i'm curious if collectors are now going to evaluate player provenance on a case-by-case basis given the amount of bold-faced liars that many players have shown themselves to be. i mean, if tejada apparently has no issues with lying to congress and arod has no issues lying on national tv, then i imagine they wouldn't think twice when it comes to game-used items. take what has to be among the worst of them: arod:

"For the record, have you ever used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing substance?" Couric asked.

"No," Rodriguez replied.

Asked if he had ever been tempted to use any of those things, Rodriguez told Couric, "No."

at least mcgwire didn't outright lie. he simply said he didn't want to talk about it. sosa "no habla englais". palmeiro and tejada were outright liars. personally, i think you can toss bonds and clemens in there as well.

arod, palmeiro, tejada, bonds, and clemens have moved a lot of memorablia over the past 10 years. a lot of stuff directly from them. my opinion is if a player is shown to be an outright, bold-faced liar on serious issues, then his provenance can't be relied upon. i'm not talking about white lies here; i'm talking about having the cojones to lie to congress, lie on national tv, lie under oath, lie to law enforcement, etc. a letter on a piece from bonds or clemens or arod doesn't mean much anymore.

thoughts? agree? disagree? would you still put faith in a letter from bonds/clemens/tejada/arod/palmeiro?

rudy.
rudy,

I would still believe them.

But I'd wash my hands every time after handling that letter, because I wouldn't want to wake up with a Jay Leno chin, and not be able to put my shoes on.

Regards,

Steve