Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to authenticate a Willie Stargell bat...

I have a Willie Stargell bat I obtained from a neighbor who frequently deals with athletes in his line of work (manages a golf shop). He claims he was given this bat by a former minor league player that was a friend of Stargell, and that the player told him Stargell had played in the post-season with it. I know it is impossible to verify the post season play, but I'd love to be able to pinpoint the approximate time frame the bat could've been used by "Pops", if indeed this is one of his bats.

It is a slightly dark-blonde 125 Louisville Slugger that says "Powerized" above the label. On the signiture spot it has a fascimile signiture "Wilver Stargell" with "Genuine" and "U1" above, and "Louisville Slugger" below.

The bottom 13" or so of the bat is slightly darker shade, which I believe is from tape which has since been removed, but no pine tar stains from what I can see. It doesn't have a knob at the end of the handle. Instead it is smoothed and slightly thinker at the very end where the knob of the bat usually is. I've seen photos of Stargell batting with his pinky finger below the bat, so maybe this is how he ordered them. There is no "8" written on the bottom of the knob, however.

Apart from the above, there are some small knicks on the handle here-and-there, and what appear to be seam indentations on the sweet spot of the bat (label up for a lefty). On the other side of the bat (sweet spot, label down), there are some faint dark stains, possibly from tapping the cleats.

I'd really appreciate any help on this one. It's a beautiful bat and brings back so many childhood memories of the home runs I saw Stargell hit at 3 Rivers. Thanks!

Re: Trying to authenticate a Willie Stargell bat...

I forgot to mention that the bat is 35 inches in length. I haven't weighed it yet, but it's a monster.

I ran across a photo of Stargell using a bat just like the one I have. Everything visible in the photo matches up. http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ge...22/cf1313.html

It's the posed photo where he's in a batting stance with his thumb taped. I can't see the knob of the bat, but it looks like he has his pinky under the knob (in essence swinging with 9 fingers on the bat). My bat is a darker shade of blonde than that photo, most likely from age and sunlight. From the uniform, I'm guessing that this photo is from the late '60's.

Hi John--

Here are some thoughts on the bat you describe. Fiorst, if you are asble to post a picture of the knob end, center label and the barrel label, it would be easier to pinpoint the manufacture date. If not, here is a site to go to which shows the various H & B labeling periods that you can match your bat to as well:

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/LS.htm

In the meantime, the labeling you describe dates the bat from between 1977 to 1989. You will be able to quickly determine when looking at the site above whether it is from 1977-79 (old H & B center label) or 1980-83 (large new Louisville slugger label), 1983-85 (small new LS center label) or 1986-89 (registration trademark under the barrel label after Lousiville Slugger.)

Given the above information, Stargell's personal H & B factory records show that he ordered 35-inch model U1 bats for his personal professional use in 1962, 1968, and 1969. All of those orders predate the labeling you describe. In 1964 he ordered 35.5-inch U1 bats, but they predate the labeling you describe as well. The only orders of U1 bats that may match your labeling post-1976 are orders of 34-inch (1982 - last season and 1983 post career) and 35 inch (1992 post career) all of which were invoiced to BB Miscellaneous, with specified weight indicating possible production for Stargell.

The other thing that must be considered is that the bat is a team index bat, which is basically a bat ordered by the team for use by players and persons throught the organization that may bear the names of the teams players who have endorsement contracts with H & B> Although not Stargell's pro stock model, U! was ordered with some frequency by him prior to 1976. If you do a search on this GUU site using key words 'team index bats' you will find more specific information about them.

When a bat does not appear in a player's ordering records, yet matches the model, length, weight, finish, etc known to have been used by the player at various times during his career, an examination of the player's personal use characteristics must be considered to determine if there is a possibility that he may have actually used a bat that is being considered. Stargell often specified the use of wide grained wood, knots, and the weight written on the knob of bats he ordered. As his career progressed, 34 ounce bats were the norm, with weights increasing to 35, 36, and even 37 ounces---true monsters. Again, post pics if you get the chance.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

You say the labeling is from 1977 and later, but I found a late '60s picture of him with the same bat I have. Maybe I left something out in the description. I'll send pictures later (I have a men's over-38 league game to play right now).

I forgot to mention that in the label "Louisville, Kentucky Made in U.S.A." is in small print under "125 Louisville Slugger".

Nope...I was wrong about the photo. Looks like it's 1980 or so. I'll get back with photos.

Hi John--- looking forward to the photos--- Also, the labeling that puts the bat at post-1976 is the model number being on the barrel label rather than stamped onto the knob, which it had been until 1976 when the model number was made part of the barrel label. (Note-- even though the model number was moved to the barrel in 1976, the "Powerized" was replaced for that one year with the Bicentennial logo.)

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

photos.... [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/John/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2009-02-15/Picture%20001.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Images Attached Images  

more photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images