Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Thoughts on this...

Dave and Joe -

Thanks for the input. As far as PSA, I had the same issue when I sent my ball to them. Came back as 'unable to authenticate' or some crap like that.

I got the auto personally outside the back door of Niketown Denver at the Denver Pavillions in 2002.

I thought the scripts matched pretty well too - I just wanted some other opinions...

A couple of things I do know are there aren't many early ROY Pujols autos out there, so the '-' between ROY and 01' was a good mark as well as the slight curve at the bottom of the 'y' in Roy. Also, most of the fakes I seen tend to not put the '.' betwwen A and Pujols...

The seller was told that it's a GU hat - I'm not buying it on that premise - I'm buying solely as an AUTO Hat... and I think it's a pretty good deal at right around $215 w/ shipping. What do you guys think?

- Chris

kwitzel

I obtained this non gamed used bat a couple of years ago. It is one of my favorite items in my collection.

Thank you,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Dave and Joe -

Thanks for the input. As far as PSA, I had the same issue when I sent my ball to them. Came back as 'unable to authenticate' or some crap like that.

I got the auto personally outside the back door of Niketown Denver at the Denver Pavillions in 2002.

I thought the scripts matched pretty well too - I just wanted some other opinions...

A couple of things I do know are there aren't many early ROY Pujols autos out there, so the '-' between ROY and 01' was a good mark as well as the slight curve at the bottom of the 'y' in Roy. Also, most of the fakes I seen tend to not put the '.' betwwen A and Pujols...

The seller was told that it's a GU hat - I'm not buying it on that premise - I'm buying solely as an AUTO Hat... and I think it's a pretty good deal at right around $215 w/ shipping. What do you guys think?

- Chris

I think $200-$250 is the correct price for a good Pujols sig on a ball, hat or 16x20. Bats are far more expensive because of the rarity - jerseys too.
    You could expect to pay around $800 for an unused signed, and game-issued bat. UD has one for that price - though it is an older model SAM bat. UD sells a jersey for $1200, but dealers sell them on eBay cheaper.

The thing is, UD sigs that don't fade have almost always retained value if it's a high dollar item. Just look at the Mantle signed products that they sold in the 1990's. People see that UD hologram and know it's far and away the real deal.

I've seen JSA and PSA balls sell in the $150-$300 range (offical MLB balls). There have been several hats like yours (sans the inscription and GAME USED) that have been sold for $200-$500 in the past few years. Game used is certainly more desirable, so if yours has the correct characteristics - you might have a gem coming to you. Even if it's not a gamer, it's got some value...unless, of course the sizing is all wrong, and it has a little kid's name under the brim.

Hope it all works out for you. I think it will.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    First - Bobby, DUDE! That bat is seriously sick. One of the best I have ever seen....and I am jealous.

I agree with Joe (Cigarman) that the sig and inscription looks good, even though it is one of my least favorite autographs scripts. I have had 3 just like it (1 was in-person) and all were rejected by PSA. As a matter of fact, of the 5 Pujols sigs I sent them, NONE came back good. Considering that one of them was purchased from the Cardinals wives for a charity day at the ballpark, I was miffed.

Big Al was in the habit of changing things around back in the 02-04 period. It was about that time he started using one of the ugliest ball-park sigs out there...even for little kids sometimes.

He's a great guy, but VERY tough when it comes to his memorabilia - and rightfully so...he's one of the most forged/faked athletes around. I was always more into the way Ripken did things - he signed for EVERYONE and because of it, you rarely see Ripken fakes (though eBay usually has a few a month)...and his sig still retains some value.

Anyway, back to the hat - I have seen this exact same sig on things before...and all I can tell you as a Cards guy is...go with your gut, and don't overspend. When looking for Pujols merch, I tend to take the high road - the road that leads to Upper Deck, Steiner, Tri-Star and Cardinals Care - and no-doubt JSA sigs (because even some of those I question)...but that's just me.
    Dave,

Thanks! It's a early Pujols bat and when I spoke to the owner of Old Hickory several years ago, he told me only two of these two tone color combo bats were sent to Pujols for him to try in 2002, I guess the handle was too thick so he shaved it down. Besides the card match, I have a getty image photo match of the top of the cupped barrel, with his number 5 written in silver.

Chris,

The auto on the hat looks good, nice pick up!

Bobby

xpress34: is it possible you can forward me an email at Josenemsn13579@msn.com? I have a few inquires on Rockies GU (of recent years (05-09). Thank you.

- Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by Instanton View Post
    xpress34: is it possible you can forward me an email at Josenemsn13579@msn.com? I have a few inquires on Rockies GU (of recent years (05-09). Thank you.

- Jose.
    Jose -

eMail sent.

- Chris