Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MCGwire bat knob

Hi guys I have a Mcgwire gamer with the knob pictured below... but I have been reading that the knob should contain an order number then a year?

is this true?... is my bat legit?

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Re: MCGwire bat knob

I've NEVER seen a knob like this one. Inquire to Mike Specht on this one.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I have never seen anything like that, I do not think it is a legit bat in my opinion.

Looks like a promo bat, knob isnt rounded off. No weight written on the knob, no batch code.

Banned

You got this on ebay didn't you? I remember seeing it and thinking the same as the previous posters. No batch number, no last name and weight written on the nob. I've never seen anything like this before. The model number should be stamped more in the center and this is higher up...all of that was a red flag so I decided not to bid.

Aaron

I had a Darryl Strawberry game used bat which only had the model number stamped on it (113A). I was told that the missing lot and year code was due to the bat being made by Rawlings onsite in a truck during spring training. Supposedly Rawling made bats for players to try in spring training in trucks. The Strawberry had the same shape (unrounded) as this MAC bat.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Thanks guys... all interesting information... still dont know what I have...LOL
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

I believe, like the others, that you have a non-legit bat. Hope you don't have much money wrapped up in this thing Bert.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Just to let you know I ended up returning the Strawberry bat..
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Bert -

I use to work for Rawlings here at Coors Field when we had the 'Making the Game' booth here (2004 - 2007) and we use to make bats during the game... yes, we turned both maple and ash bats on the lathe while you watched...

The thing that gets my attention about your bat knob is the 'ring' around the edge - that shows signs of the bat being hand turned (not machined)... and the way the end is 'cut off' before being stamped - not something you should find on a store or souvenir model as they are usually turned by machine and sanded down smooth before being marked and stained / waxed / laquered. Next time you're at your sporting goods store, grab the knob of a Rawlings bat... you should notice three to four spots that the coating is kind of pointed and hard - that is where the 'claw' held the bat as it dipped it in the laquer barrels and hung them to dry.

If it is hand made, it may add some credence to the story about the Strawberry bat.

I can't say I was ever aware that Rawlings did that, but who knows.

Do you have any pics of the end of the Barrel as well???

No expert on McGwire gamers, just my observation and .02 worth.

- Chris