Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: OT: Favorite Sports Quotes or Stories

Les,
    I agree that quote by Clemente is really good. I just used it last week for a project in school.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Les,
    I agree that quote by Clemente is really good. I just used it last week for a project in school.
    Sweet. Great quote for a school project. I know of Clemente mostly as a human being. I have read about his career, but since I never got to see him play, I haven't really collected his stuff, though I've thought about it.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

From ex-umpire Ron Luciano's book:

Luciano was the home plate umpire in a minor league game. He rung up a batter and said to the player "When you learn to hit that pitch, you'll be in the majors." The kid looked back at Luciano and said "When you learn to call that pitch, we'll both be there."

For fans of Bob Brenly, his straight-faced, low key wit is legendary.

Manager Brenly, during a stretch when the Diamondbacks were having a problem keeping catchers healthy and off the DL, was asked by a reporter who the emergency catcher was. Brenly replied, "Well, it's Junior Spivey...but we haven't told him."

During his days as a broadcaster, Brenly's partner in the booth was Thom Brenneman, who would sometimes get a little too wound up and passionate and let his words outpace his thinking. Once, when he meant to say that a batter "missed a pitch", he said that the player had "pissed a mitch"...to which, with a straight face and without hesitation, his color man responded, "I agree with whatever you just said."

Banned

For quotes from the master himself, check out

http://www.umpirebob.com/DATA/yogiisms.htm

Jim

In his book, Catcher in the Wry, Bob Uecker wrote about being traded to Philadelphia, "the city where, on Easter, they boo the little kids who don't find any eggs."

Back in the 80's my brother was part of the Rotoray Club of Garland, TX (suburb of Dallas) and Dan Reeves was their guest speaker.

He told them he was going to relay a story from an unnamed former player of his on Inspiration and Motivation.

This is the story he told them:

So this player goes out with some team mates one night after a game to blow off some steam. They're out a at a night club and he meets an attractive young lady - one thing leads to another - and they end up back at her place.

As things are getting hot and heavy at her apartment, he hears what sounds like someone coming in. He asks if it's her roommate and she freaks out and says, "Oh my God, it's my husband!"

The player says, "where's your back door?" to which she replies, "We don't have one!".

At that point, the player responds, "Okay. Well where do you want one?"

Inspiration and Motivation.

More Bob Uecker:

(This was on MLB Network as he was calling a Tigers vs. Yankees game on Monday Night Baseball back in the day)

"You know, when you're talking about hitting, you're talking about one of my favorite subjects. .200 lifetime batting average...tied me with another sports great averaging over 200 over a 10-year period. That was bowler Don Carter."

"But you know...a lot of people looking in tonight, I know what you're going to say. You're going to say, "Sure, you can talk that way you do because it was always easy for you. This is not true. I've had my problems...all incidents that happened during the game with me hitting. Coming up in the 9th inning of a ball game, bases loaded, two outs, down by a run, and look into the Visitor's dugout and seeing them sitting there with their street clothes on."

"But these are things that never bothered me. Maybe the look down at the third base coach for a sign...having him turn his back on me."

"I can remember ordering bats. Sometimes they'd come back with a handle on each end."

"I've had many people ask me a lot of times, 'Bob, how long will a dozen bats last you?' I would have to say, depending on what model, what weight the bat I was using...8 to 10 cookouts."

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

In my earlier post, I mentioned that Mantle was known to be a bit salty at times, like in that letter I posted....

Here's another Mantle gem! Sorry for the language, but I didnt sign it, Mickey did! (pic from a Grey Flannel auction)