Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Wood bats VS. Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    All of the flying bat pieces - at fans, at other playes, at umpires - are far more dangerous than aluminum bats. Why do we use them in college, if they are supposedly so dangerous? And they are more environmentally friendly. A bunch of reasons to favor aluminum.

Plus, everyone says that he/she loves the longball. There would be more longballs with aluminum. And it would be a more exciting game.
    I think it's safe to assume Les isn't a baseball historian.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    If you really need more than this - you are just grabbing at straws. My guess is that you've never played real baseball Frik (and that's not being sexist) - because if you did, you'd realize how silly of an 'argument' this whole thing is. Wood bats can be recycled and are biodegradable BTW.
    "Real baseball" as opposed "fake baseball"? Not sexist?

So - the inferior version they have for girls is not "real baseball"?

Softball?

Because girls are simply not capable of playing baseball?

They can't even have girls only baseball? Because girls are not capable?

Not sexist?

This is what I love about being a female baseball fan; I am somehow less a participant in a sports-related community because of my biological sex. Nothing fails like being female, because the sports world takes part in discursive norms that are by definition, exclusionary. And somehow, I am supposed to believe it's "not sexist"!

That's why we have the NBA and the WNBA. As opposed to the MNBA and the WNBA. It's because the WNBA is the marked form, equated with the female, lesser sex. It's pretty obvious the message that women in this culture get. And the sports world does nothing but reinforce that women are second-class citizens.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

[quote=frikativ54;125639]Huh? Don't understand your analogy with seatbelts.

You know, I've read a LOT of your previous comments, on a LOT of different posts, Frik. You were even nice to me once, as I am a fairly new member here, and gave me a tip on what to use to post pics, and for that I was truly greatful (even though I used a different program another nice poster rcommended).

Then there was your infamous "harrassment" thread. That was kind of ugly.

With all due respect, I know you are absolutely and infinitely intitled to your own opinions........but in My opinion, I must say there is apparently a LOT you don't understand about a LOT of things. You will as you get a bit older and get a bit of "exposure" to things in life, I promise.

But in Major League Baseball........it's wood bats, or get out. That's not my opinion, it's God's word.

Just ask Brian Hillerich.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post

Wood should always be the bat of choice for MLB - and to address an earlier comment about NCAA players who don't make it in the pros - many of them have never swung a wood bat until they hit the pros... and that's a HUGE adjustment from Aluminum.

- Chris
    I appreciate your perspective from Rawlings, Chris. So - would you prefer if ballplayers used wood starting out? At a certain age? Just curious.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    "Real baseball" as opposed "fake baseball"? Not sexist?

So - the inferior version they have for girls is not "real baseball"?

Softball?

Because girls are simply not capable of playing baseball?

They can't even have girls only baseball? Because girls are not capable?

Not sexist?

This is what I love about being a female baseball fan; I am somehow less a participant in a sports-related community because of my biological sex. Nothing fails like being female, because the sports world takes part in discursive norms that are by definition, exclusionary. And somehow, I am supposed to believe it's "not sexist"!

That's why we have the NBA and the WNBA. As opposed to the MNBA and the WNBA. It's because the WNBA is the marked form, equated with the female, lesser sex. It's pretty obvious the message that women in this culture get. And the sports world does nothing but reinforce that women are second-class citizens.
    and yet, another intelligent thread, takes a violent detour and heads straight for the crapper....

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    With all due respect, I know you are absolutely and infinitely intitled to your own opinions........but in My opinion, I must say there is apparently a LOT you don't understand about a LOT of things. You will as you get a bit older and get a bit of "exposure" to things in life, I promise.
    So - maybe I'm not experienced with aluminum vs. wood. But I don't understand a LOT about a LOT of different things. Care to clarify here or in email?
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    and yet, another intelligent thread, takes a violent detour and heads straight for the crapper....
    Well said. LOCK THIS ONE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Well said. LOCK THIS ONE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The biases operative here are so manifest to any objective observer, yet they don't even merit so much of a response from the GUU patriarchy.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Aluminum bats break would break a lot more than they already do if they were to be used be professionals
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

Seven silver swans swam silently seaward.