Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vintagedeputy
    • Oct 2005

Re: Wood bats VS. Aluminum

There's a guy here locally that makes things out of some type of polycarbonate plastic stuff. He makes axe handles, gun stocks and baseball bats. I'd love to see a guy like Pujols give one of these a whirl...

Comment

• aeneas01
      • May 2007

Originally posted by bigtime59
      The argument shouldn't be a simplistic wood vs metal one. It should be wood vs metal vs composite. IIRC, composite bats can be "tuned" just about any way you want them ("hotter" or "deader").
      i think this is moot given that non-wood bat performance standards (read: limits) were adopted by the ncaa, high schools and other baseball organizations in 2000 to ensure that, among other things, batted ball speeds of non-wood bats did not exceed the speeds of wood bats. here's a very informative read on the subject found at the u.s. consumer product safety commission website....

robert

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

High School Pitcher in Coma after Line-Drive Hit

Wed Mar 17, 12:28PM PT - AP 1:43 | 155395 views

A Northern California high school pitcher is in a medically-induced coma after getting hit in the head by a line drive. The incident is re-igniting the call to ban metal bats in youth baseball. (March 17)

Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• spartakid
          • Oct 2008

Wow, I didn't realize this was national news. A kid from my school was the one who hit him... He (Obviously) feels really bad about it.
          Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• ballhawknet
            • Nov 2007

Im sorry I missed this thread when it started over a year ago.

I think most if not all schools and Little Leagues have rules as to what type of aluminum bats are ok to use these days. They have to be BESR certified ( which measures the maximum speed at which a ball leaves the bat ) and at least in Little League where I coach , the umpires will line
            up the bats and check the before the game.

From every study Ive read a wood bat will hit a ball just as far if swung at the same speed . Its bat speed not the aluminum. The bat compaines use to "cheat" by making a 33 inch bat that only weighed 28 ( or less ) ounces . Now the rules specify a -3 difference in length weight.

Ive tried the newer aluminum bats , and the trampoline effect is no where
            near they way it used to be. They seem dead to me. I wonder what exact type of aluminum bat was being used here in the North California case.

Personally I would like to see all wood in all leagues. But that will never happen. It is a money issue , aluminum lasts forever...for the most part.

A side note , about 7-8 years ago ...I think , the White Sox where using an aluminum bat in batting practice. Many of the players where doing it.
            I remember standing on the concourse at Comiskey and Ray Durham was
            bouncing them of the back concourse wall and Thomas was coming within 50 feet of hitting the scoreboard !!! This lasted for about 3 weeks !!! It was crazy fun Good Time Ballhawking !!!

Comment

• BMH
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by spartakid
              Wow, I didn't realize this was national news. A kid from my school was the one who hit him... He (Obviously) feels really bad about it.

Spartakid,

Can you give us any more information about the incident? Every article we have seen keeps going back and forth between the batter using an aluminum or a composite bat. Each article never really says. Plus, I must ask, do you know what brand bat he was using?
              Brian Hillerich

Comment

• Manram
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BMH
                Spartakid,

Can you give us any more information about the incident? Every article we have seen keeps going back and forth between the batter using an aluminum or a composite bat. Each article never really says. Plus, I must ask, do you know what brand bat he was using?
                I also live near where this happened. I am pretty sure, but not 100% sure that he was using a composite demarini

Comment

• spartakid
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BMH
                  Spartakid,

I don't know a ton, I've just heard him and some other people talking about it. I'm not mistaken, I believe they said it was a white Stealth. Not sure if that tells you whether or not it's a composite, I don't know a ton about bats like this.
                  Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• BMH
                    • Jul 2007

Sounds like it was a composite, each story I've read so far keeps switching from aluminum to composite. Thanks for the information; ever since the Montana ruling I've been pretty "gun-shy" every time I hear of an accident.

Any updates so far on his condition?
                    Brian Hillerich

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

here another news update with video.

they show a coach talking about a bat but its a demarini bat he is showing in the video.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com
                      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

Working...