Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Kazuhiro Sasaki Autographed 2001 All-Star Baseball

Kazuhiro Sasaki 2001 All Star Autographed Baseball

Here are the pictures of the ball from the currently running auction as well as a direct Link

This auction here states that the ball, shown in the pictures above was not only signed by Kazuhiro Sasaki but also game used. The inscription on the side panels of the ball suggests this is game used and a 1/1 baseball. This is simply not the case and is the crude practice of someone altering the ball in order to try and fetch more money from said item.

Here are some pictures of an auction that was ended at the beginning of February as well as the direct Link

Below you can see my comparison markings of the ball in the photos.

There is a mark on the side panel above the signature.
    There is a mark/defect on the ball right above the “K” in the autograph.

The “R” in Rawlings is blemished a bit and can also be seen in the photo with the “G.U. 2001” inscription.
    Very light blemish on the ball under the 2 in 2001
    The letter “A” in Official is blemished
    The Star along with the bottom of the “G” and top left of “M” are blemished.

The 2 Photos of the autograph for comparison

This next photo is an overlay of one photo on the other. I set the transparency of the new auction photo at 50% so you can see both images. The size of the original auction photo was also reduced to roughly the same scale.

While it’s not right on because of the different angles at which the photos were taken, most of the auto matches up perfectly.

I am not in any way disputing the Kazuhiro signature, as I believe it is real and clearly PSA/DNA agrees. I have never used PSA/DNA so I’m not aware of whether they authenticate the signature only or consider them as one and authenticate the signature/inscription. Clearly 2 different pens were used on this ball which should have been a red flag with them.

I have contacted the current seller of the baseball who is also a forum member here (Josh099). My question to Josh on weds. Feb 25th was simply.

Can you give me any history on the ball, when it was signed, when/where, etc? Or any provenance aside from the psa/dna which hasn't come back yet. Thanks”

Below is his response that was received on Feb. 26th.

This ball was used for warm up tosses/pitches before the ninth inning of the actual game. It was tossed in the stands and I was able to get Kaz to sign it (at the All Star Game). It's a very rare piece. A true 1/1, game used auto.”

Now that is quite interesting to say the least. This ball, which in my opinion is the exact same ball from the auction that was ended early sans inscriptions, was actually obtained from Kaz himself during the actual game?

I contacted the first seller of the ball and even gave them a link to the new auction. That seller stated right away, that’s the same ball I had. I asked about the inscriptions and they said that there were NO other pen markings on the ball other than the autograph. They would not disclose the name of the buyer but did say that they sold the ball to a person in Renton, WA. And they know it’s the same ball and person selling it now.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Re: Kazuhiro Sasaki Autographed 2001 All-Star Baseball

I am going to clear this up for everyone. This ball is a game used ball from the 2001 All Star game. I have done a lot of business with a local seller who has asked me not to use his name in any resale business I do b/c of the prices I get compared to those of his retail customers. In my response to the question asked of me via ebay - I respected that request by saying "I got the autograph" and used the description I was given for the ball. Originally, I bought the auto to keep in my collection. I have been chasing this ball for 7 plus years; since its original sale. I missed my opportunity to purchase the ball back in 2001 and have kicked myself ever since. I'm unsure if the ball was sold since its original purchase - which I'm actually pretty sure it had been due to the price I got the ball for, but I know it's the exact ball I have been looking for. I kept a photo of the ball, waiting for the very opportunity that I received back in Jan/Feb this year. I was able to purchase this piece from a local seller. I NEVER said that this ball was inscribed by Kaz himself. I wrote that Kaz inscribed the ball #22 - which he has. This has been certified through PSA/DNA as an inscribed baseball. I made sure that the separate inscriptions were done in bold pen so it looked nothing like the original signature. I did it for the sake of noting the significance - not to mislead anyone! I have a VERY good reputation on ebay and off. I AM SORRY TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE THAT FEELS MISLEAD BY THIS ITEM. I have changed the verbage on the auction so it's VERY clear what you're looking at and/or purchasing. If it can ever be proven in writing from any of the major authenticators that this piece is not, in fact - a game used ball from the 2001 All Star game - I will/would refund the full purchase price immediately. I don't feel I was in the wrong when I posted the auction. I can now understand why this was taken the way that it was and again, I am very sorry. I thought I was very clear, but obviously wasn't.

I think you noting that you wrote the GU inscription in your own hand
    will help clear things up. Good to see you made the necessary changes
    to avoid any confusion and potential problems.

Josh, I am not going to get into anything about the ball itself, but the burden of proof is on the seller. I don't understand where you say that the seller would need written proof to show that it is not game used. If you get some more concrete proof of game use, it may help you out.

I don't know where you can get that w/o having an MLB hologram on the ball. Any advise would help. Anyone can print up a certificate saying a ball is this or that, but as far as game used goes - there are only a couple avenues you can go for certification and none of them are for baseballs - as far as I know. I'm just saying that I would honor my word of a 100% money back guarantee at any time if proof was ever presented to me after the sale of the baseball. That's how I wanted that read. Thanks for your input.

Josh,
    That’s a great point so how can you say its game used when you didn’t get the ball at the game but seven years later and it has no MLBA authentication. That sure hasn’t stopped you from asking $750.00 for it which I assume is your perceived value add for a game used ball in that game.

Would love to see this image you have had on your computer for the last 7+ years that leads you to believe it’s the same ball.

Shame on anyone that alters a collectible for their benefit after the fact…especially 7 years after the fact! The story gets lost.
    Ty
    www.FriendsOfCFF.com
    Visit our Mariner Museum.
    Make a difference, help find a cure!

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is the meaning of success
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.SeattleMarinersRBI.com
    Seattle Mariners Real Baseball Involvement
    A new day, a new way....working with the M's to improve the community.

I have to agree with Ty on this one, if you have been chasing this ball down for 7 years, and the auction which you obtained it had no mention of it being game used, how can you apply your markings on it as being such?

Thumbs up Re: Kazuhiro Sasaki Autographed 2001 All-Star Baseball

How does your business with a local seller have anything to do with this auction? Is that you trying to give a hobby reference that you deal 100% legit items?

I guess I'm one of the few here that are not so naive to think that you just happily decided to add some notations to a ball for the greater sake of the hobby. I might understand this if you were say 10 years old and just got the ball and wanted to make note on it, kids do things like that. You've been in this hobby long enough to know that collectors do NOT like other collecters custom alterations. Esp. those alterations that are NOT disclosed until AFTER you are questioned about it. You made changes to the auction listing before this thread was made to include the PSA info, which was later removed. Not to my surprise, right after this thread was posted you made another edit and only then did you state, oh I added that stuff to it on the sides.

Collectors everywhere who do their homework on items and have some common sense would want full disclosure on an item. Need further proof, look at the thread that was talking about folks who wear their game issued/worn jerseys around town. People were very adamant about full disclosure if the item is ever sold. Are you seriously trying to tell me, that a hobby veteran such as yourself would assume other buyers of this ball wouldn't care to know you altered the ball but care if you wore a jersey around the house?

Another thing, can you please show me one legit authenticator that authenticates baseballs as game used or not, not the autos or inscriptions but will certify a ball as game used or not? I can't think of one as it's too difficult and really not worth anyones time, so your money back guarentee.. garbage, imo. Also, I understand when folks will try to give the history on an item as it's passed along, but even if you were told it was used in the game, how can you yourself know for sure? It certainly doesn't look used much if at all, maybe from handling it while waiting for an auto. Then again, I don't have it in hand to examine, but from the photos it appears to be in very nice shape and color for a game used ball, aside from the obvious blemishes.

You also said YOU got Kaz to sign it at the game.. really?

So the signed jerseys I have, it's ok to say I had them signed myself even if I bought them with the signature on them already? I'm just assuming the main role in the history of the jersey right?

You ruined a very nice baseball because you possibly thought you could make even more by adding your own inscriptions. I would have paid good money for it.. before you altered it and then lied about it. You hid the true facts until it was brought to an open forum. Now you claim it was for the better of the hobby, because now it's properly labeled. You've had issues with questionable memorabilia in the past and now this ball comes up, the paper trail is growing.

If you want to dispute the auction changes, I can and will provide screen shots of the changes for anyone interested.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

thank you for this information, this will help me to select or to find baseballs, but i also have found one information for online baseball tickets, if any one wants to purchase online tickets then they can contact here.

Banned

If I recall was it not this guy who was selling a bogus Ichiro jersey ? Trying to pass it off as a gamer ? If I am wrong please ignore this but iam almost certain it was this guy. (josh)