Photos of Willie McGee game used jerseys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G1X
    • Nov 2005

Re: Photos of Willie McGee game used jerseys?

Thanks Greg and Mike. I started the collection about 15 years ago. McGee and Darren Lewis are two of my all-time favorite baseball players, and when both ended up in the early 1990s playing for my favorite team (Giants), I started collecting their items. With the help of the late-Dick Dobbins (I can never say enough good things about the man) who obtained the Giants equipment at the end of each season back in those days, I was able to slowly accumulate items of both players.

The frustrating part is that I haven't been able to obtain anything from McGee's first stint with the Cardinals other than a few bats, and I have missed out on some nice items over the years by trying to be too cheap. Needless to say, Darren Lewis items are much easier to find and more affordable to collect.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL jerseys

Comment

• harpt
      • May 2007

I don't have any pics of Willie McGee jerseys, but I do have this great shot of my friend Drew with Willie McGee's twin sister.
      Attached Files
      Scott Harpt
      scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
      Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• bigtruck260
        • Sep 2007

I'd like to see that E.T. throw a 300 foot strike to home - or better yet, hit a triple off of a bounce.

Willie is the only person I have ever seen get a staning ovation in STL for striking out. If you non-St. Louisans only knew Willie's place in Cards history...

I am serious about this one (ask Jeff) - Willie's only rivals in popularity are Albert and Stan - and honestly, he might even be more popular than those two. When he comes back to Busch, he always gets the loudest and longest ovation. In his second stint with STL, every time he came to bat, the bathrooms and food lines emptied - and it was like the playoffs for a few minutes.

I think it was the humility and the effort. Not to mention, he was funny looking (thus the ET moniker) but funny looking in a human caricature sort of way. There will only be one Willie McGee....
        Dave
        Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
        River City Redbird Authentics
        http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• harpt
          • May 2007

Yeah but he beat the Brewers in the World Series as a rookie in '82!!

I am just kidding...I totally see the appeal. Great guy...great player.
          Scott Harpt
          scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
          Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• 5kRunner
            • Aug 2007

Plus he has to be the only player who won a Batting Title while then playing in the other league.

I always thought that was an interesting fact.
            SCOTT
            scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...