Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: $1500+ for a locker name tag

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I am watching the WBC Finals and it is in the 8th inning between Japan and Korea and Japan leads 3-2

I love their hustle. Everyone hustles. They are all intense. They love the game. Reminds me of how it used to be when I was a kid.

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie
    That had to be one of the most well played, intense, suspensful, and exciting baseball games I have ever seen! Of course I was disappointed with the USA not being there but as they were constructed they just weren't as good as either of those teams last night. What a joy of a game to watch. Now if Bud Selig could only either get a clue or get fired we could get some much needed changes to this tourny to make it even better. But as it is, great job by both Korea and Japan for some seriously awesome and precise baseball...that's the way the game should be played!

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Can you link us to that? I'd like to see it, thanks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200320051015

The guy posted some really crappy photos - very blurry. Looking back, though, it looks like he deals mostly in signed photos. Probably not set up to photograph any item with three dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I thought maybe it was made of solid gold. Nope, plastic. Are you kidding me?

http://wbc.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/n...unbr=103676213
    The auction ended at $1,600 for this name tag.

Name:  img7840850med.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  6.3 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Andrew,
    Just to let you know, that bidder HARASAN is to Japanese MLB Auction items
    what bidder EXQUISITE is to NBA Auctions. The items he buys on MLB auctions have never resurfaced in the Japanese market so I am sure everything he wins becomes part of his extensive collection. When he wins an item its usually for something ridiculous and above and beyond any rational market value but I'm not mad. Its good for the hobby to keep the pushing the ceiling on rare 1/1 items no matter the rationale. You can make an argument
    for any 1/1 item going for any amount.

Goh Nishiyama

Goh,
    Thanks for the insight on Harasan, that guy has never lost a auction that he gone after, as far as I know. If I see his name I just don't bid!!!
    Oh well if I had his kind of funds, I guess I'd buy everthing too.

Quote Originally Posted by gnishiyama View Post
    Andrew,
    what bidder EXQUISITE is to NBA Auctions. The items he buys on MLB auctions have never resurfaced in the Japanese market so I am sure everything he wins becomes part of his extensive collection. When he wins an item its usually for something ridiculous and above and beyond any rational market value but I'm not mad. Its good for the hobby to keep the pushing the ceiling on rare 1/1 items no matter the rationale. You can make an argument

Goh Nishiyama
    Goh - Thanks for the insight, but my bigger question than is was that a 1 of 1 or did they have new Locker Room Nameplates for each game in the Tournament?

I can't wait to see what Ichiro's sells for.

I also want to see Harasan's collection!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnishiyama View Post
    Andrew,

Goh Nishiyama
    I agree.

What I find funny is how in a down economy has the asian enthusiast fans have so much more money to spend on more (common) non super star players. I understand they support there own and I commend them for that.
    I am just surprised it seems more like there financial funds are unlimited compared to the average american collector.

A John Doe collector might buy an AROD Bat for a couple of thousand

Meanwhile
    An Asian collector will spend 4k on a Common Asian players game used sock.

Of course I am exagerrating just making a point.

But it is interesting in the differences.

Andrew,
    I don't believe those are 1/1's since it was up on MLB auctions before the semifinals even began. But I'm sure if only 1 is made available to the public
    a lot of these collectors see it as a 1/1, meaning 1 of 1 available, since there's only 1 opportunity to obtain one.
    I'm pretty sure if MLB was to list 3 more Johjimas we would see fair market
    value since it would eliminate the usual same 2-3 bidders.

Goh Nishiyama

Suave,
    Believe it or not Japan's economy is in a lot worse shape than ours at the
    moment.
    Here is how I explain things in regards to my Japanese customers since that
    is where 95% of my business goes:

In Japan there are generally two types of mid/mid upper class. I won't speak of the upper class since they can afford most things.
    I will preface by saying that the pay scale is higher (so is cost of living)
    in most parts of Japan. Minimum wage is about the same as here but per capita I believe the average salary is (was) higher over there.

There are the married middle class with a family. Most of those people are like any other hard-working family here in the US. They pay their bills and do their best to provide for their family and can't barely afford anything else, muchless sports memorabilia. Majority of these families live off of
    one income since most wives stay at home. I have very few of these customers; oftentimes I am asked to ship items to their workplace or lie (which I never do for obvious reasons) on the customs declaration forms so
    his wife won't find out. Most of these guys would ask me to reserve the item for a few weeks or so while they save up enough money. That sounds like the usual collector over here. (not the lying or sending to workplace part)

The majority of my customers in Japan are single men with a good income that would normally have enough money to raise a family. These guys tend to not feel the need to buy a home or invest so them spend their disposable income on themselves for hobbies such as collecting cars, sports memorabilia, Zippos, etc.

I'm in my late 20's, born and raised here in the US, and I do not see the same type of spending habits here in the US when it comes to single men.
    I'm engaged, own my property and hope to one day have a family, but even if I were single, even during good economical times, I would be saving or investing and I'm sure I speak for most. Aside from a car every 4 years or so and an occasional watch (guilty pleasure) would I spend THOUSANDS on on a hobby.

I just think there's a difference in spending habits among people in the same demographics here and in Japan.

And lastly, Japanese customers, pay a PREMIUM for great service and a peace of mind from a native dealer who is fluent in the language, hence the reason why I am able to make a living in such a small niche market. But I would like to add for everyone reading this that providing great service to
    Japanese customers is NOT EASY. Different language and a different culture= nightmare. Expect to take 5 pictures of a single signed ball and pick up a magnifying glass to look for any flaws

I just wanted to clear it up because I think there is a misconception that
    if you are a Japanese collector you have endless supply of cash.

Sorry for the long post

Goh Nishiyama

Just curious. Do game used items from the Nippon Professional baseball league ever come to market and with the same frequency as MLB items? What commands the premium: MLB or NPB?

I don't know much about collecting Japanese baseball items, but have always been fascinated ever since Cecil Fielder joined the Detroit Tigers from the Hanshin Tigers.