Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 Minutes with Bobby Grich

I had an interesting five minutes with Bobby Grich on Saturday. My daughter plays in the Santa Margarita Little League and opening day was that Saturday. Bobby Grich was one of the speakers. I took his game used bat and a game used cap. He spoke for five minutes to the kids and then took off. I caught him as he left and told him I had a couple of his GU items that he might be interested in. He verified that the cap and bat were both his and signed the cap immediately. However, the bat really interested him. He signed it and then indicated that he wanted to add an inscription (6x all star, 4x gold glove). He then proceeded to look over the bat really carefully. By this time a crowd was around him. He indicated that it was a "great piece of lumber". I asked if it was from the 1979 era and he said no, that he had used that bat in 1974 while playing with the Orioles. He swung it around a bit and said it was a 34" x 32 oz (which it is) and that it was the same bat that Baylor and Robinson used. He was genuinely stoked to see it again. It was a pretty cool experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Re: 5 Minutes with Bobby Grich

This is the hat he wore in 1971 for the Rochester Red Wings, the year he was Minor League Player of the Year. I keep going back and forth on whether to have him sign under the bill or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

he used it in 74? it is from 77-79! how did he used it in 74?

Quote Originally Posted by momen55 View Post
    he used it in 74? it is from 77-79! how did he used it in 74?
    As I recall, it was sold as a 1977-1979 bat. I'm not a bat expert, but I thought this style was made between 1973-1980. Can anyone shed some more light?
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

The model number (B267) moved from the knob to the barrel in 1977.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Grich is a class act all the way! I have a game used glove of his that I'd like to get signed (hopefully he'll come back east sometime soon). I also have a 1976 H&B Liberty Bell style GU bat of his as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Grich is a class act all the way! I have a game used glove of his that I'd like to get signed (hopefully he'll come back east sometime soon). I also have a 1976 H&B Liberty Bell style GU bat of his as well!
    Bill, Grich lives about 5 minutes away from me and does appear at events around the area. If you are interested, and I have a heads up to where he will be, I would be willing to get your items signed.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Sure Rob, that will be great!

Thanks

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

Say, I have a bat of his I'd love to get signed, if that offer is open to others, too.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    This is the hat he wore in 1971 for the Rochester Red Wings, the year he was Minor League Player of the Year. I keep going back and forth on whether to have him sign under the bill or not.
    Great pieces. I always get my hats signed on top of bill, but I have friends that go underneath. To each their own!

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com