Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

O/T What Else Does Everyone Collect?

Reading Bill's thread got me interested in what other items GUU members collect outside of the game used gear. I am the first to admit that I have an obsessive collecting personality and have not been able to limit myself to only sports related collectables. Again, obviously a bit off topic, but could be fun finding out what other types of collections are out there. I actually collect drumsticks/concert memorabilia from the legendary Rush rock drummer Neil Peart. I have been able to secure 6 stage used sticks from 6 different rush tours as well as a host or rare non used sticks. It does not sound like a lot, but legitimate ones are extremely difficult to find, and can get really really pricey. One pair recently sold for $2500 a few months back. I also have his last set of red Simmons electronic drums he used to tour with in the late 80's. Anyone else want to share...

Thanks,

Tim

Re: O/T What Else Does Everyone Collect?

That sounds like an awesome collection! Do you have any pics that you can post?

I actually collect Rush autographs. My collection is small, but I have a tour book signed by the band, a piece of paper signed by Neil Peart and Geddy Lee, and a CD insert signed by Hugh Syme. Aside from Rush autographs, I also like to collect Beastie Boys live concert CDs.

I also collect band memorabilia. I had a bigger Metallica and Godsmack collection, but most of my stuff now is from Staind or their singer Aaron Lewis, who now does his own solo touring. I have one of his used guitars with the case, one of his used hats, tons of used picks and drumsticks, stage setlists, passes, tour itinerary books, rare OOP CDs, signed photos and tour posters, and a load of other rare odds and ends.

Chris

I used to collect old police shooting medals, and I still have a couple of hundred of them, carefully packed away in a large box. The thing is, I'm not really sure why I began the collection, never having been either a civilian cop or a particular gun enthusiast.

I remember seeing some like those I later began to collect, at a flea market in San Diego, back in the mid-'70s, priced at probably about five bucks each, and I thought they were really cool, but my budget in those days didn't permit me to buy them.

Then, shortly after discovering eBay, about eleven years ago, I was just surfing around the site one night and saw a half-dozen incredibly cool-looking, vintage police shooting medals about to end for only five or six bucks each, and on impulse I bought them. I haven't looked at them in years, but I remember that some go back to the early '30s, and were sponsored by Chicago newspapers. Some I had to bid fairly high on, like the 1940s White House Police medals. There are some real oddities, too, like the (probably '50s vintage) shooting medal from some obscure government agency, exact name forgotten, but something like "Atomic Energy Security Force".

Some of my more active collections, currently, are resin and ceramic superhero statues, virtually anything having to do with Tarzan or Zorro, and posters and lobby cards from those (mostly) terrible old Italian sword-and-sandal films of the late '50s - early '60s, in addition to dvds of the films themselves.

Great stuff guys... It's nice to hear that I am not alone. It's funny though as my stuff is packed away in my closet as well. I simply have no room to display any of it as my sports stuff is taking up all my wall space/room. nycsports... I, unfortunately, still have not yet mastered the art of posting pics. I have been meaning to do so, but just never got around to it. Send me your e-mail and I'll send you some pics when I dig them out.

Thanks,

Tim

sandmanclan@sbcglobal.net

I collect Jim Thome HR tickets. I have been collecting them for about 10 years. I have approximately 472 out of 541. The one that seem to be the hardest are the early road tix. Especially places like Minnesota,Texas,KC,Boston etc. Sometimes I go for months without finding any. Then, like this week I come across 5-6. I thought about giving up a few times. But then I have to remind myself that I have more than anyone else I know. Plus, I am closer to the end than I am to the beginning. I guess it's all about the thrill of the chase
    Roger Ward- Thomecollector
    thomecollector@verizon.net

I have collected coins for 34 years and still do to this day. Collecting coins got me into baseball cards, which led me into collecting game worn jerseys. I have gotten more into coins again, but like balancing my hobbies.

Don

I have a 1969 mach 1 mustang, so i'm into old cars and I collect old signs like coke and pepsi. The game used and autographs are fun, but sometimes jump from one of the collections to the other.

Besides the 19th Century baseball items that are on my website, I have been picking away at the T201 Mecca Double-Folder baseball cards that came out in 1911. These are great, they have one player on the front of card. The card then folded and another player is depicted, using the same lower legs of the player on the front. The back of the card also had the stats of both players which was a first (along with the 1911 T205 cards). There are 50 cards total (of which I have 38) and numerous HOFers (Cobb, Crawford, Johnson, Evers, Tinker, Huggins, Jennings, McCarthy, Wheat, among others). I also have about 60 T206 cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Hey Don
    I have some coins I got from my grandpa when I was a kid and know nothing about them. If I take some pics, do you think you can try to help me out? I know my grandpa loved coins and would love to know more about what they are!