Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Portland Beavers 1941 Jersey

Based on the outstanding photo style matching capabilities of some of the Forum readers, I challenge one of you to locate a photo of any Portland Beaver (Pacific Coast League) wearing this style jersey from 1941 or later years.

Name:  BEAVERS.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  49.1 KB

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

ALWAYS BUYING PORTLAND BEAVERS JERSEYS AND EQUIPMENT FROM 1978-1986. TOP DOLLAR PAID FOR BETTER NAME PLAYERS' JERSEYS. MINIMUM $500. PAID FOR AN ORIGINAL PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEY (1973-1977) AND PANTS.

Banned

Re: Portland Beavers 1941 Jersey

Hello Howard I hope this helps a bit. I am not sure how your Jersey is attributed to the Beavers of 1941. But I found a ton of team photos and all of them were pretty much consistant with each other of what they wore and none of them seem to come close to the Jersey your showing. And doesn't seem like any of them had portland on there chest with a line under it. The only thing might be possible if you check the 2 young kids at the end of the first Team pic. might of been bat boys. they have what seems to be colored sleeves. Maybe at most your Jersey might be from a Ball boy.

Here is a team photo from 1940 and 1943

Banned

I found a picture of this Baseball card attributed to the 1941 Beavers

Banned

Although the photos shown are not the same style, Dave Bushing contacted me and noted that included in the 1943 Louisville Slugger yearbook, you will find a picture of the PCL batting champion wearing this exact style shirt.

Anyone have access to this specific yearbook?

Thanks to all for the posts to this thread.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Banned

Hello Howard,

I would love to see it too.

Johnny Moore was the batting champion for 1941

Of all the pictures I found of him, I couldnt find one of him wearing a Jersey like this.

howard

i notice this jersey is back on ebay with a revised LOA and new photos added. the MEARS LOA notes the photo of Norbert wearing "this very style of jersey". but of course, he's not wearing this very style. he's wearing a different style. on the mears forum, dave b. stated he felt it's "hard to tell where the grey ends around the neck". anyone who takes one look at the photo can see the red of the sleeves doesn't go up to norbert's collar, as it does on the ebay jersey. there's nothing "hard to tell" about it.
    the front is restored so who knows what it looked like before the restoration. so in deeming it a 1941 beavers shirt, bushing looked at a photo in a 1943 yearbook of norbert wearing a different style of shirt, compared it to his restored-front shirt of a different style and then based on the absence of a war patch, declared it a match. can mears find a single image of any portland beaver wearing this specific style of shirt?
    personally, i liked the shirt more when troy slapped an A10 on his buddy's completely restored shirt.

rudy.

rudy.

Banned

Rudy-

Do you work for the CIA?

As noted in my original post, "I challenge one of you to locate a photo of any Portland Beaver (Pacific Coast League) wearing this style jersey from 1941 or later years".

I've seen the two photos you posted, and clearly the shirt being offered on Ebay is not the same style. Not only is the area on the shoulders completely different, but the "restoration" is off. The line under the word PORTLAND is wider on the resotred jersey, and the letters are not the same style (compare the D and also the spacing). Likewise, are my eyes playing tricks or does the one photo with the war patch on the sleeve also appear to have trim on the end of the sleeve?

If any Forum reader can match the restored jersey to a photo, please add it to this thread.

Rudy-thanks again.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

i guess it's hard to get

Rudy,

The Portland Beavers jersey was originally evaluated by Dave Bushing on 12/7/05. At the time of his first evaluation back in 2005, in his notes, he awarded the jersey the A10 grade. An LOA was produced back in 2005 based on Bushing's original notes. The LOA was filed with the 100's of other LOA's filed for MEARS owned items.

Although Bushing had evaluated the jersey, he held the jersey back from public sale as he was looking for a photo style match. The jersey was in his possession since 2005. He never obtained an exact match. The main issue at the time was a question to whether or not the phrase "PORTLAND" was found on Beavers jerseys. The photo Dave referenced was to illustrate PORTLAND was found on Beavers jerseys.

When Dave found the PORTLAND photo, the jersey was submitted to the auction with a reference to the image provided which illustrated the jerseys were produced with the word PORTLAND on the front.

During the processing of the writing the description for the online auction, I personally reviewed both the jersey and the letter. I noticed the jersey had restoration. I contacted Dave Bushing regarding the jersey, and he too had also noted the restoration before he made the final decision to consign the jersey to the February auction. Dave Bushing had left instructions with our data entry employee to downgrade the letter to the A5. This was done before the auction was launched. The LOA was downgraded to an A5 before the auction. The jersey was never represented as anything but an A5. In the lot description, the fact that both the front and back of jersey was restored was clearly noted. The grade of A5 was clearly noted. The fact that the jersey was owned by a member of the MEARS staff was clearly noted. It is irresponsible for Rudy to come to a public forum and state that there was some favoritism from me to Dave Bushing regarding this jersey. No A10 grade was "slapped on the jersey". When posting such a damning statement, it should be expected that the most basic of research such as reading the original lot description should have been conducted by Rudy. Many people read GUF, and these incorrect, sensationalized comments have real negative impacts if left unaddressed.

The jersey was never offered or sold as an A10. If you go to our auction site, http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...spx?lotid=1024, you will note that the jersey was auctioned as an A5.

The issue of the A10 letter arose when the jersey was shipped. Our part-time worker in charge of shipping pulled the old A10 letter that was on file, not the new A5 letter that had been produced. The jersey was shipped to the high bidder with the old A10 LOA. The winner then listed the jersey on Ebay with the letter we had provided him.

At some point, and GUF member contacted the seller and noted the jersey was sold in the MEARS auction as an A5 and now it had an A10 grade. I immediately contacted the seller, and sent the amended A5 letter, which again, was the correct letter as sold in the MEARS auction. When the Ebay seller was made aware of the error, the auction was immediately ended. The jersey was then relisted with the A5 letter. The jersey was originally sold by MEARS auction as an A5, and at no time did the jersey ever sell as an A10.

I take full responsibility for the incorrect letter being sent, and we have included measures to verify LOA= correct item. Although this was a mistake, again, I must stress the jersey was never sold, offered, or stated to have an A10 grade. If Rudy wants to criticize me for sending the incorrect letter, I will accept his criticism, but I refuse to accept his statement that I slapped an A10 grade on Bushings's jersey. That statement is invalid, as evidenced by the original lot description. Just as I should be more responsible for including the proper LOA with each item, Rudy should also be accountable for his incorrect accusations.

I have seen continued debate regarding the style of the jersey. Available images are quite rare (yes, some images are available, and we have reviewed them), and there are no known images that span the entire possibilities of this jerseys issuance to allow for an exact style match. When Dave first purchased the jersey in 2005, there were no know images available to use of this style of jersey with the word PORTLAND. Within the past 12 months, Dave Bushing did find the images what at least verified the existance of PORTLAND on the front of the jersey.

Due to the controversey this jersey has caused, I have excersised the MEARS Buyers Protection Policy and purchased the jersey back from the customer for his full purchase price. The jersey will remain in the MEARS inventory, not for sale, as a policy sample until more research can be conducted.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen/MEARS

Troy Kinunen/MEARS