Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sheffield released

The tigers just released Gary Sheffield...(499 career home runs).
    no one has ever hit his 500th playing for the tigers....hard to believe !!

Re: sheffield released

Sheffield may never see 500 himself. The guys batting under .200 in Spring Training, and is often injured.

Banned

Sheffield will defiitely get picked up. Even if his game has dwindled down he will still be a short term PR attraction for some team, when he hits his 500th Home Run. Sheffield himself has no intentions of stop playing. I am not sure how he has been doing during Spring Training or the reason why he was doing poorly but I am sure it is just a small slump he is starting off in. I am sure he will break out of it. He is still a big power hitter and in great shape.

We will see him pop up somewhere!!

I have spoken with Sheffield in the past and in his mind he wants to play as long as he possibly can, he loves the game. If he can I am sure he will try to push to hit 600.
    Now I am not saying this is going to happen or that a team will carry him for that long but, he could pull it off if a team does carry him.

Toronto may be a good fit for both sides.....

Im sure he will fit in with the Phillies nicely.

I would take him in DC!

Let Sheff play 1st with Dunn in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I would take him in DC!

Let Sheff play 1st with Dunn in the OF.
    Good lick with that idea. Sheffield came to Detroit and as of last year, stated publicly he did not want to play DH, and prefered OF duties to 1B. While I agree that due to the deal someone will get this year signing him as Det will pick up the salary...he does so much complaining and a cancer in the clubhouse that he is not of value down the road. Good ridance to him!!!
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

i wonder if sheffield has pissed many people off in detriot. i think its good that they cut him one homerun shy of 500. thankfully im not a fan
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Sheffield will defiitely get picked up. Even if his game has dwindled down he will still be a short term PR attraction for some team, when he hits his 500th Home Run. Sheffield himself has no intentions of stop playing. I am not sure how he has been doing during Spring Training or the reason why he was doing poorly but I am sure it is just a small slump he is starting off in. I am sure he will break out of it. He is still a big power hitter and in great shape.

We will see him pop up somewhere!!

I have spoken with Sheffield in the past and in his mind he wants to play as long as he possibly can, he loves the game. If he can I am sure he will try to push to hit 600.
    Now I am not saying this is going to happen or that a team will carry him for that long but, he could pull it off if a team does carry him.
    I totally agree with you as the Baltimore Orioles did with Sammy Sosa several years ago and Palmeiro.

Those guys sell extra tickets which Angelos likes. What is not good is those guys are generally disgruntled employees and don't win many games for you.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Speaking as a Michigan resident, Sheffield ruffled more than a few feathers for sure last year. Very poor attitude. Glad to see him go as I'm sure are his teammates and LeLand!!!

When you make that kinda dough...you'll play wherever the mgr tells ya to play!! He's a me-guy, not a team player. Whoever gets him will have to endure his piss poor attitude and desire for money and the #500 only. I can't say enough negative about the guy. Wish I had something positive to say...I'll get back to you when I do.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com