Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Question For Everyone On Here.........

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Take for instance cars that are mass produced. Do you know how many cars are put out on to the market with faulty parts? And get called back? Or the parts themselves get called back?
    Do these companies go under No. Of course not because they produce over all quality product.
    Horrible analogy. Just plain horrible. Use Frito-Lay or The Gap as examples. Maybe NIKE or Nabisco. How about Apple or Taco Bell?

I think we're all willing to accept that mistakes are going to be made. No way around it. What I and a lot of others have trouble with is how easy it is to spot so many of these mistakes. Take the Chris Leak jersey as an example. You're Grey Flannel and this jersey has just been offered to you for consignment in your auction. It's presented to you as a game used 2004 jersey. First step: look at photos from 2004. Hmmm, it seems the Gators wore A-Ross commemorative patches in 2004. Next step: Look at jersey. This jersey has no patch. No evidence the patch was ever on there. Step 3: reject jersey.

There's just no excuse for this crap getting through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Horrible analogy. Just plain horrible. Use Frito-Lay or The Gap as examples. Maybe NIKE or Nabisco. How about Apple or Taco Bell?
    Both teams play hard I am sorry you feel it is a horrible analogy. Do you not like the car industry?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcollector View Post
    I think we're all willing to accept that mistakes are going to be made. No way around it. What I and a lot of others have trouble with is how easy it is to spot so many of these mistakes. Take the Chris Leak jersey as an example. You're Grey Flannel and this jersey has just been offered to you for consignment in your auction. It's presented to you as a game used 2004 jersey. First step: look at photos from 2004. Hmmm, it seems the Gators wore A-Ross commemorative patches in 2004. Next step: Look at jersey. This jersey has no patch. No evidence the patch was ever on there. Step 3: reject jersey.

There's just no excuse for this crap getting through.
    Gator I 100% agree.

But it seems to some members mistakes are not allowed.

Mistakes are made daily within all our lives, there is no such thing as a company giving absolute a 100% perfection

I don't care if you are talking about major auction houses, ebay, online game used dealer web sites or even buying directly from the leagues: NFL/MLB, directly from the actual teams, or even from individual players directly--there is NO source that puts out only 100% legit game used items 100% of the time. It is counter productive to crucify any entity on this message board. Everyone makes mistakes despite their best efforts, and no authenticator can rapidly authenticate game used items across the full spectrum of professional and collegiate sports with 100% effectiveness.

The best thing any of us can do is become an expert in the subject matter you decide to collect and act as your own authenticator. Ultimately YOU are the only authenticator you can trust 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by byergo View Post
    Everyone makes mistakes despite their best efforts
    I guess that's my point. Did they really give it their best effort? If they did, that's a sad statement.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Both teams play hard I am sorry you feel it is a horrible analogy. Do you not like the car industry?
    The American car industry makes a piss-poor product and they seem to have trouble going out of business. Please continue Suave...let us not derail this thread to an off-topic bonanza.

Here's the problem... GF are passing themselves off not only as an auction house, but as a world-class legitimate AUTHENTICATION SERVICE. Exactly what are they doing when they supposedly "authenticate" an item? What evidence and research made them say, "Yes, this is indeed a game-worn Joe Morris Giants jersey, and here's why..." My God, people on this forum have spent five minutes (and sometimes several hours) looking at photos online and have determined several jerseys are crap. Personally, I have an extensive NFL game collection on DVD dating back to the early 1970s, and I can PROMISE you that the Giants never wore the style of numeral seen on that laughable Joe Morris jersey.

But once again, the question is why did the jersey pass authentication in the first place? We're not talking about a minor detail that was overlooked... Were talking about a style of jersey that was NEVER WORN by the Giants!

Of course the auction will contain legit pieces.... I think we all know that. But in my book, GF's "authentication service" is about as useful as a bottle of Windex in a pigpen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

My God, people on this forum have spent five minutes (and sometimes several hours) looking at photos online and have determined several jerseys are crap.
    So why would GFC spend time and money researching these pieces, when GUF members have proven, once again, that they will do the work for free?

You might want to publicly present your findings after the auction ends, rather than before it begins. That might make things a little more interesting, down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    So why would GFC spend time and money researching these pieces, when GUF members have proven, once again, that they will do the work for free?

You might want to publicly present your findings after the auction ends, rather than before it begins. That might make things a little more interesting, down the road.
    Ouch, that's actually a very good point. Considering the auction is only in the preview stage, forum members do the grunt work, GF (or any other like entity) pulls their bad items based on our grunt work, and they make all the money?! Who's fooling who here? Man do I feel low now...