Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Old catcher's mask

Hi, I'm a new member & I have an old catcher's mask that I am trying to get info on, like how old it is & who made it . It is put together very well with a diamond on the lower mouth cage & has heavy weld beading & has no tags. Can anyone help!
    thanks
    Bert
    whoaholly@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Old catcher's mask

Very nice mask. Diamond "spitter", excellent welds. and "Spiderman style" eyes. 1920 or earlier. I love that style, I currently do not have a diamond spitter with spiderman eyes in my collection.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

i have always been infactuated with these types of masks. i might have to pick one up.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Thats a really nice mask. As mentioned, circa 1910's-20's. It has a lot going for it; original head-strap, nice complete padding, heavy bead welds, "google" eyes, and diamond shaped spitter. Everything a collector would want. Congrats on owning this mask.

Thanks for the info on mask! I thought it was very old. Since it has no tag does anyone have any idea who made it, was it company made or custom made. Was it common to put a mfg tag on it?
    Bert

Most tagging would have been done on the straps or stamped into the leather (normally in the chin area).

Great mask - unusually large spitter area though. Most spitters I've seen generally have a smaller circular opening.

Just wondering - can a ball fit through that diamond? The picturea make it appear that it is large enough that one might be able to.

All the best -

Chris

Chris, The pix makes it look larger than it is, no way a ball can get in. Re-checked & there is nothing stamped in the chin so the tag must have been on the straps & lost.
    thanks
    Bert