Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: 2009 Turner Field photography available for photomatches!

Treant and Joba ~

Remember we're talking about high quality photos that amatuer photographers as talented as Kyle take. He's topping a lot of pros that I know!

The issue is sales and rights.

Even back in the dinosaur days of film (not digital) an amatuer like me could take a concert photo like this:

By knowing the laws and obeying them, I acquired permission to sell 5 copies of this photo. And with the money I bought a camera system the price of a car back then.

Joba, you'd maybe not be trying to take photos at a concert like this ... but this is what the Kiss security guards were concerned about that people can do who might not know and follow the copyright law. Interesting, you lost a camera and I bought a new one ... just by knowing the law and following it.

I agree, Nate! Back to the topic. I apologize for it going down a different path.

Kyle, you are GOOD! Makes me want to collect a player from Atlanta so I can have photomatches from you. Instead, I might just have to start collecting photos taken and signed by you!

Major League Baseball isn't going to go after one kid taking pictures with a personal camera

Now let's stop trying to play Detective and get back to the original topic

All this side track crap is starting to get real old, real fast
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

I'm sorry kyle once again for stepping all over your thread.But cordover said something i just have to respond to.I gave up my camera,because i did'nt feel like getting my butt kicked by 10 security personel,and besides that i did'nt want to miss the concert.Me giving up my camera had nothing to do with "me knowing the law and following it".It was about being able to look the same way after the concert as i looked before the concert.Because the security was'nt going to just let me walk out of the concert(if i made them take the camera from me,and i did'nt willing give it to them)from thier tone i took it as they were going to walk me.So that's why i gave it to them.I'm pretty sure me saying "hey that's not the law,i'm going to ask permission from kiss to sell it,so they will be alright with it"was going to make the security go,"well ok take your pictures then".It was'nt a fight i was going to win,even if i was right and the law was on my side,at that time they are the judge,jury,and if i did'nt give it to them,the exacutioner.They don't care if you ask permission to sell it,they don't care if it's just for you,no cameras means just that,cause they know once you take a picture,they can do nothing about it.Again like bands and sports once you take a picture,you are free to do with it what you may,it does'nt go by how good a picture it is.That's just funny,it's your picture,you took it,how can they own something you took with your own camera.But i don't watch perry mason so i can't say things on here as fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by cordovacollector View Post
    Treant and Joba ~

Remember we're talking about high quality photos that amatuer photographers as talented as Kyle take. He's topping a lot of pros that I know!

The issue is sales and rights.

Even back in the dinosaur days of film (not digital) an amatuer like me could take a concert photo like this:

By knowing the laws and obeying them, I acquired permission to sell 5 copies of this photo. And with the money I bought a camera system the price of a car back then.

Joba, you'd maybe not be trying to take photos at a concert like this ... but this is what the Kiss security guards were concerned about that people can do who might not know and follow the copyright law. Interesting, you lost a camera and I bought a new one ... just by knowing the law and following it.

I totally agree with you chakes-That's why i apologized as i was guilty of it.But i just had to say something as this perry mason stuff drove me nuts.And it just sounded so funny to warn kyle about this.I take pictures just like kyle(just not as good) and i am pretty sure i don't have to worry about bud selig knocking at my door asking for the pictures.It's tough to read and be silent about things so you have no choince but take the bait and go off topic and for this i'm sorry kyle.That's it for me,back on topic,great pictures,kyle-are you going to be at the upcoming series vs the yankees?
    Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    Major League Baseball isn't going to go after one kid taking pictures with a personal camera

Now let's stop trying to play Detective and get back to the original topic

All this side track crap is starting to get real old, real fast

Quote Originally Posted by treant985 View Post
    And for a really good discussion of using pro athletes' likenesses, check out this page: http://www.commlawblog.com/2009/05/a...-of-publicity/ .

Sorry, one more post. Treant, you missed the whole point in your own references. Here's the main quote from your second one:
    "2. The game makers had previously used fake names and players until an agreement was reached with each league's players association for the image rights."
    That means they had to use fake names and fake likenesses UNTIL they bought/paid $$$ each league's players association for the use of the image rights.

And your first reference says nothing about an image of a specific player, singer, actor, celebrity, etc. That article is talking about if you take a picture of a tree, landscape, deer, etc. you can copyright it if you want to at the LOC. (But you really don't have to because the second you take it, you own it, you created it, you have the proof you took it. So it is usuallya waste of effort to go through the motions.)

But that applies only to images of generic things. You have to know your stuff when you start to sell because even some buildings own the copyrights to images of them. You can take a picture, make a poster, and sell it of an abandoned saloon in UnknownGhostown, USA ... but try and sell a poster you make of the Chrysler Building in New York ... OY!!!

This has been fun. Gotta dust the cobwebs off my old brain now and then.

Joba, don't explode. You get the permission to take the photos before the concert. And days later you get written permission to sell a specific photo a certain number of times. If they say no, the camera stays in car.

Truce? I do like and respect you.

Man we are destoying kyle's thread.cordover,"don't explode",did i come accross like i was a volcano?Sorry if i did,i was just trying to state what happen to me.Truce,i did'nt realize we were fighting.There's no need for one of those,just people expressing themselves,it's all good.Thanks for the nice words,my friend
    Joba, don't explode. You get the permission to take the photos before the concert. And days later you get written permission to sell a specific photo a certain number of times. If they say no, the camera stays in car.

Truce? I do like and respect you.

I agree, Nate! Back to the topic. I apologize for it going down a different path.

Kyle, you are GOOD! Makes me want to collect a player from Atlanta so I can have photomatches from you. Instead, I might just have to start collecting photos taken and signed by you!

Thanks....but actually you don't have to collect just Braves to have a need for my photos. I always take photos of the opposing side and I like getting close-ups of the bats and other equipment. Just yesterday at the Braves-Brewers, I was able to sit on the side of the opposing dugout so I got as many shots as I could of players warming up with their bats so I can get nice close-ups.

...so if anybody is getting any Brewers bats soon from these players....just let me know and one of these might be a good photomatch for you:

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post

kyle-are you going to be at the upcoming series vs the yankees?

Yes...I'm going to try my best to make it to the whole series as well as the whole series against Boston which comes the day after the Yankees leave. The stadium is expected to be packed though so I'm hoping I can still find a good seat to take pics from.

Kyle,
    Do you have a website for your photography?

Email me if you can't post it.

Thanks!
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]