Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Has anyone ever requested a letter from an athlete regarding a GU item?

I guess the point here is that there is a major difference between buying stuff directly from a player and buying stuff from a third (or fourth or fifth) party and then asking the player to authenticate it long after use. That being said, if buying directly from the player, I think that the notation "this jersey / bat / helmet / etc has been in my personal possession since it was issued / given to me" is an important addition to the letter."

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
    I guess the point here is that there is a major difference between buying stuff directly from a player and buying stuff from a third (or fourth or fifth) party and then asking the player to authenticate it long after use. That being said, if buying directly from the player, I think that the notation "this jersey / bat / helmet / etc has been in my personal possession since it was issued / given to me" is an important addition to the letter."

Mike jackitout7@aol.com
    I agree with what you're saying. I just want to try and document the history of the helmet and jersey I bought for my own interest.

I bought them from a friend of the son whose father is the athlete. So it's a little complicated. I asked the athlete if he remembers how they got into the seller's posession, if he remembers signing them etc.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    One of my favorite game used Phillies jerseys in my collection is my 1980 Greg Gross World Series road. Not only is it from the magical 1980 season, but it was worn throughout the regular season and then into the Series.

I’ve always loved this particular jersey, both for the season it was worn and also the fact that “GG” gave his all every time he stepped between the lines.

While working in Cherry Hill, NJ, we employed the services of one of the largest printing houses in the area. The owner had the contract for various Philadelphia Phillies projects, and landed these jobs by employing the services of his friend, Greg Gross in the off season. Gross worked as a “PR/Salesman” for this firm. When I learned this, I asked the owner if it was possible to meet Gross. Not only did he agree to bring Gross to our office, he also arranged for the three of us to do lunch. What a great day-breaking bread with Greg Gross and hearing all of his amazing stories about his career and days with the Phillies. At the conclusion of our meal, we discussed memorabilia and specifically, my passion for collecting Phillies game used jerseys. I then pulled his 1980 road jersey from my bag. He could not believe I had it, inspected it and immediately acknowledged it was his and also worn during the regular season and into the World Series. Knowing the history behind the 1980 jerseys, I had prepared a detailed LOA and asked him to sign it. He graciously agreed.

Not only is the shirt 100% original and from the magical season, but the lunch and LOA certainly adds to my fondness of this particular jersey.

Attachment 23617

Attachment 23618

Attachment 23619

Attachment 23620

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
    nice piece howard. the like the description in the letter. i wish dealers would try to include such a descriptive letter with a purchase. i gather most buyers are just satisfied with a COA. nice piece and nice history behind the item.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.