Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Has Grey Flannel Lost It?

I could not recall if I had previously registered at Grey Flannel, but couldn't get logged in so I tried to register. However, I couldn't because I didn't have the two auction house references, so I emailed them. First a Debbie emails me that I'm in their system but they need to update my address/phone/credit card, which I replied to.

Then I get the below from a higher up:
    Mr. Vandor,
    Please disregard the previous email from Debbie in my accounting department. If you would like to bid in my auctions and have no references, we require you to put money up front. I would need you to send me a bank check/certified check for $10,000 to my attention at the address below. Once I have it, I will clear you to bid. If you do not win any items in my auction, I will refund your money after the conclusion of the auction on April 29th, 2009.
    Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Be well.
    Thank You,
    T.J. Favilla
    Auction Director - Grey Flannel Auctions
    8 Moniebogue Lane
    Westhampton Beach, NY 11978
    631-288-7800 x221
    TJ@GreyFlannelAuctions.com
    www.GreyFlannelAuctions.com
    www.GreyFlannel.com
    I'm looking at a lower end item or two, not a "Premier" item. I'm going to tie up 10 gr with auction houses rolling out of business or into bankruptcy??? I think not.

My reply:
    $10,000 given all the auction houses closing or near bankruptcy. You must be crazy.

Banned

Re: Has Grey Flannel Lost It?

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    I could not recall if I had previously registered at Grey Flannel, but couldn't get logged in so I tried to register. However, I couldn't because I didn't have the two auction house references, so I emailed them. First a Debbie emails me that I'm in their system but they need to update my address/phone/credit card, which I replied to.

Then I get the below from a higher up:
    Mr. Vandor,
    Please disregard the previous email from Debbie in my accounting department. If you would like to bid in my auctions and have no references, we require you to put money up front. I would need you to send me a bank check/certified check for $10,000 to my attention at the address below. Once I have it, I will clear you to bid. If you do not win any items in my auction, I will refund your money after the conclusion of the auction on April 29th, 2009.
    Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Be well.
    Thank You,
    T.J. Favilla

Auction Director - Grey Flannel Auctions

8 Moniebogue Lane

Westhampton Beach, NY 11978

631-288-7800 x221

I'm looking at a lower end item or two, not a "Premier" item. I'm going to tie up 10 gr with auction houses rolling out of business or into bankruptcy??? I think not.

My reply:
    $10,000 given all the auction houses closing or near bankruptcy. You must be crazy.
    You should have us all pitch in some to help you pay the deposit for the privilege to bid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    You should have us all pitch in some to help you pay the deposit for the privilege to bid.
    Wry humor I assume. It's not a question of financial ability it's a question of risk. AMI looks to be rolling into bankruptcy, another auction house has ceased operation and reopened under another name, others simply aren't paying consignors.

I'd have to be a complete fool to send $10,000 to an auction house for a deposit in this economic environment.

color me confused again. GFC's auction website states that in order to bid "you will be required to provide a valid credit card number". seems like typical auction protocol to me. however, if they have a valid credit card number, why then the need for a $10k cash deposit? in case i bid and don't pay? run the card! that's what they took it for isn't it?

the real problem of course is that if you purchase a bad piece from GFC and put it on a credit card, you can remedy the situation instantly by instructing your card to reverse the charge. if you send them a money order, as they're instructing, you're SOL.

how's this for a slogan:
    "Grey Flannel Auctions is not responsible for computer or human error which may result in any customer dissatisfaction"

anyway, i notice TJ's bio says he "worked at yankee stadium for 4 years" but strangely neglects to say exactly what he did at yankee stadium for those 4 yrs. anyone know?

rudy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

anyway, i notice TJ's bio says he "worked at yankee stadium for 4 years" but strangely neglects to say exactly what he did at yankee stadium for those 4 yrs. anyone know?

rudy.
    Rudy you don't know Freddy The Pan Man???

i know it's off-topic but it just struck me as odd; to overtly make a point of saying he worked at yankee stadium but completely fail to elaborate on the position. obviously, working at yankee stadium isn't the same thing as working for the yankees so it's got me curious. i imagine it was brought up by GFC because it's somehow relevant to his current position as auction director. if it's relevant, then i'd be interested in hearing what exactly TJ did at yankee stadium.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post

My reply:
    This must be their way of quietly refusing you access to bid in their auctions.

Do think this could be because you are a member of GUU?????

I have never placed a bid with a "major" auction house. I did bid in Historic's auction once. At the time I lived down the road from them, so I could have picked up any winnings in person.....
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Do think this could be because you are a member of GUU???
    I think they have a different email for that.

Here's the one I got

I would prefer that you not bid in my auctions. In reading your online postings concerning Grey Flannel, I see nothing but negativity towards us. Therefore, with this in mind, I see no reason to allow you to bid and greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter. I wish you well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    This must be their way of quietly refusing you access to bid in their auctions.

Do think this could be because you are a member of GUU?????
    Could be, the first email I received asked for updated info, which was reasonable, followed by the second email with the $10,000 demand from the auction honcho. Perhaps he looked here and verified my membership, or even saw I've made a commennt or two about their lack of effort to authenticate their items as of late.

there's something disturbing here, besides TJ's infantile customer service skills. one of the main responsibilities of an auction house is to try to fetch the highest price for their consigners.

i wonder how the consigner of the item(s) greg was planning to bid on would feel if knew that TJ shrunk the bidding pool on his item(s) simply out of personal spite or the consigner of the item lower-end item(s) mvandor was planning to bid on knowing that a ridiculous $10k deposit was being required. there is no mention of any such deposit required on their website. it simply says that if you don't have references, you'll be asked to leave a credit card.

imagine if you consigned an item to an auction house and that auction house was rejecting eligible bidders simply because some employee didn't like them. if i was a consigner, i'd be pissed. oh wait, you don't have to imagine it, it's the current GFC business model. brilliant. run an auction house like some sort of grade school playground.

"with this in mind, I see no reason to allow you to bid"

with the fact that greg posted on GUU in mind, TJ sees no reason to deliver the maximum return to his consigners by allowing a eligible bidder to participate? i guess you only learn that kind of sharp business sense spending "4 yrs at yankee stadium".

rudy.