Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Opening Day Baseballs 2009

Rawlings makes those nice balls with the Opening Day logos and I noticed from a foul ball in the stands that the Nationals didn't use them for Opening Day or if they did they ran out of them.

I also got an email from the Tigers that they didn't have logo'd Opening Day balls.

Does anyone have any insight into this from their teams?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Re: Opening Day Baseballs 2009

Andrew I can only imagine that they probably had regular season baseballs mixed in with opening day logo'd baseballs.

For example when I was at spring traininig Yankees vs. Team Canada game. One ball was fouled off and given to me and it was a WBC ball. The next ball fouled off was given to me and it was a regular major league ball.

They were suppsoed to be just using the WBC balls.

I Know The Tigers Didn't Use Them....the Last Time The Tigers Used One Was 2006.
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Andrew I can only imagine that they probably had regular season baseballs mixed in with opening day logo'd baseballs.

For example when I was at spring traininig Yankees vs. Team Canada game. One ball was fouled off and given to me and it was a WBC ball. The next ball fouled off was given to me and it was a regular major league ball.

They were suppsoed to be just using the WBC balls.
    Suave - I have seen the same as you just described.

This is what got me thinking was this email from Marc Himelstein of the Detroit Tigers:

Hi everyone. I just found out from MLB that the Opening Day Baseballs will not have a logo on them. Due to this, I am not going to charge $75 a ball. The new price for a game used Opening Day Baseball will be $50. For those of you that already placed your order, I have not charged your cc yet.

Marc Himelstein
    Authentics Manager

Now I know Rawlings made them as here is a picture of them, and here is a picture with the 2009 logo as I got a pic direct from Rawlings.

Name:  ROMLB09OPD_lg.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  26.6 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

That is very strange.

Others teams are using the Opening day logo'd ball.

Odd how he words it that MLB said Opening day baseballs will not have a logo on them. Is he just referrring to the Tigers not using them or all teams. If in fact he is referring to all teams that is not true as other teams have used them.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    That is very strange.

Others teams are using the Opening day logo'd ball.

Odd how he words it that MLB said Opening day baseballs will not have a logo on them. Is he just referrring to the Tigers not using them or all teams. If in fact he is referring to all teams that is not true as other teams have used them.
    Yes, his verbiage is puzzling to me too which got me thinking that maybe no teams got balls w/ the Opening Day logo.

I just made a call to the Nats and they don't think they got any with the Opening Day logo either.

My guess is the Mets and Yankees have their Inaugural season balls to use.

I know the Nationals bases had the Opening Day logos on them so I am thinking that maybe Rawlings didn't get the delivery out for the baseballs.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Hello Andrew,

Teams did get the balls.

They already are auctioning off opening day game used baseballs from 2009.

Suave - Good job! The Twins used a ball with a logo. Can't tell if the others used them as the pictures don't show them.

Name:  img7977797med.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  4.2 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500