Congratulations, Gary!

Re: Sheffield Hits No. 500

Finally

Banned

Did You Hear That Guys???

I Just Heard All My Sheffield Game Used Items Go Chhh Chhhhhing Lol Lol:d

He as juiced, just like the others. I'd throw the ball back. No way he gets into the HOF.

Aside from throwing the ball back on the field, like the idiots at Yankee Stadium3 yesterday,would you keep it or ask for something? Since there is a steriod issue and I don't know how much you can realize at auction,I would ask for the jersey he wore and the bat he used. Have them signed and have him write it's the jersey he wore when he hit it,along with the bat and have MLB stickers on both. Again since there is an issue with him, having the two items is better than the ball in this case.
    What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    Aside from throwing the ball back on the field, like the idiots at Yankee Stadium3 yesterday,would you keep it or ask for something? Since there is a steriod issue and I don't know how much you can realize at auction,I would ask for the jersey he wore and the bat he used. Have them signed and have him write it's the jersey he wore when he hit it,along with the bat and have MLB stickers on both. Again since there is an issue with him, having the two items is better than the ball in this case.
    What would you do?
    Throwing a baseball - especially a homer back regardless of who hit it...or what team it was is silly. This is one of the many reasons I can't stand (most) Cubs fans. How many times will a kid catch a baseball at a big league game in his life?

Yet...there will always be a drunk or group of drunks pressuring him to toss it onto the field...which is a violation of stadium rules.

Anyway, regarding Sheff's 500th, a great feat and a goal of his. He started as a middle infielder when I was in 8th grade...and to see him finish his career and reach that milestone is pretty cool.

If Gary did steroids....I can forgive him. Like McGwire and many of the steroid guys, he likely did it because of injury and recovery...and to keep up with everyone else that was using. Gary worked hard as a ballplayer and I would have been proud to have him as a Cardinal. Though, he might not have fit in here - from all accounts, he is one mean SOB.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't care if it was the lowliest player in MLB ... if I caught a HR ball, no way am I tossing my own personal baseball memory back on the field because other people who did NOT catch it are taunting me. I caught a foul that nearly hit the ceiling (no bounces, I might add ...) and like Charlton Heston you'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hands.

I know more than one Twins fan in LF keep a BP ball at hand to toss in case they are taunted. It must be a guy thing. But I wouldn't try authenticating that ball if it ends up being important later.

Apparently a 22 yr old kid (man?)caught the ball and traded it for 5 Sheffield store model Mets jerseys signed for him and his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    What would you do?
    Swob,

Gary Sheffield wouldn't give up the bat, or the jersey, singularly or as a package deal, for that baseball.

My guess is....the bat AND the jersey will go to the Hall of Fame, best wishes, Gary.

If one of the two goes, the other will certainly stay in Sheff's posession.

And for whatever reason, if MLB doesn't place stickers on those items tonight....it will never happen as once they leave the park, it's a done deal. My guess is that they will, though.

It will be interesting to see what pieces Sheffield gives the Hall. If he's a selfish a-hole like Barry, he'll just sent his helmet and cleats.

If he's like A-Rod...........maybe just his jock strap?

Oh....no, wait..............A-Rod sells those too.....

5 store jerseys sheesh what a sport... id burn it before i gave it to him for that... greedy ballplayers makin that kinda cash and for the milestone of his career he gives a fan nuttin shame on him and shame on the rest of the fans who root for him