Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Huggins: 1977 Brooks Robinson jersey

Huggins & Scott: 1977 Brooks Robinson game-used jersey.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...233&lotno=1027

1) the nameplate shows noticeable "pinching" around all of the edges. often, a pinched nameplate suggests it's been restored/re-sewn.

2) the front #5 appears to be the wrong font. the rear #5 may be the wrong font as well but i can't find any photos.

3) the "77 1" strip tag; the numbers themselves don't appear to be chain-stitched as was wilson's style at the time nor is the strip affixed via the "zig-zag" stitching typically used by wilson during the 70s and early 80s.

the stitching and style/font of the "77 1" is more reminiscent of wilson strip tags starting around 1988/1989.

AMI sold a 1977 brooks robinson orange jersey. note the differences in a) the era of the wilson tag 2) the #5 font front AND back 3) the strip tag stitching: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=35523

joel: before you have an aneurysm, yes bill huggins himself was notified of all of this over a week ago. what was bill's response? apparently he's still mulling it over. no i did not contact brooks robinson to get his side.

rudy.

Banned

Re: Huggins: 1977 Brooks Robinson jersey

Rudy:

Also look at the Wilson tag...it's the 1979-86 variety.

I've emailed the service contact for H&S about this. Bill has always done the right thing in the past (at least in what I'm aware of), and I'm confident he will do so again.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

that strip tag looks a bit too high on the shirt.......

Good work (as usual) Rudy & Dave...Regarding the font, the thing that jumped out to me (other than the nameplate) is that the "dot" on the "i" on the Orioles script from that era (Wilson alternate orange tops) should be connected to the "i" (not separate).

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    ..the "dot" on the "i" on the Orioles script from that era (Wilson alternate orange tops) should be connected to the "i" (not separate).
    what year did the "dot" separate from the "i"? what year is the wordmark on the huggins jersey from?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    what year did the "dot" separate from the "i"? what year is the wordmark on the huggins jersey from?

rudy.
    All orange alternates made by Wilson (1975-1983) have the "dot and i" connected.....When they went back to wearing them in 1988, they were made by Rawlings (and the dot and i were then separated).

I see a lot of bad Ripken "rookie era" Orange Alternates and the "dotted i" separation is always a tell tell sign that it's bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    All orange alternates made by Wilson (1975-1983) have the "dot and i" connected.....When they went back to wearing them in 1988, they were made by Rawlings (and the dot and i were then separated).
    that's what i thought but then what does that make this jersey? it's a wilson jersey with a rawlings-style "orioles" wordmark? you're saying wilson never made an orioles orange alt. jersey with this style of wordmark on it?

is it just some generic orange and black shirt with a 1988+ team wordmark stripped from another shirt and affixed onto this one? is this thing completely hand-made from A to Z?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    that's what i thought but then what does that make this jersey? it's a wilson jersey with a rawlings-style "orioles" wordmark? you're saying wilson never made an orioles orange alt. jersey with this style of wordmark on it?
    is it just some generic orange and black shirt with a 1988+ team wordmark stripped from another shirt and affixed onto this one? is this thing completely hand-made from A to Z?
    rudy.
    "Hand made, from A to Z" for the win, please. The Orioles script, aside from the obvious differences in the dot of the i and the extension of the O, is also very wrong in the l-e-s. You can walk away from this one with no concerns at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    "Hand made, from A to Z" for the win, please. The Orioles script, aside from the obvious differences in the dot of the i and the extension of the O, is also very wrong in the l-e-s. You can walk away from this one with no concerns at all.
    ok so the team wordmark is wrong, the wilson tag is the wrong era, the front #5 is the wrong font, the back #5 is the wrong font, the nameplate shows signs of being resewn, the nob is too big, the "77 1" is sewn incorrectly and is also the wrong font, the strip itself is affixed incorrectly. as eric stangel would say "other than that, it's good". there literally isn't a single correct element on the entire shirt.

what i find offensive about this, besides the idea of some little weasel sitting at his sewing machine whipping this thing up for the sole purpose of ripping someone else off for thousands, is the fact that the huggins description states "All original and unaltered". everything that could be wrong on the shirt is wrong and huggins didn't catch a single thing. 7 errors on the shirt and huggins got 0/7 right. "all original". nice work. way to earn that buyer's premium. i don't know who's worse..the guy who made the shirt up or the guy who "authenticated" it. you'd think they could put an ounce of work into a $5k shirt. anyway, huggins quoted 2 getty images as being matches for their shirt. here's one of them. you'll notice the "dot" is connected to the "i". great match.

rudy.

Here's a couple of mine for comparison.
    Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images