Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2009

Hybrid View

Yankees 2009

Hmmm. 22-4 Indians. Great that the Yanks went out and got CC Sabathia (lost 2 starts I think now?) and Mark Tex. (.194 thru today, and that was after hitting a homer). Nice to know that money was well spent...

Outdoing all the other teams for players sure is paying off for NY.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Banned

Re: Yankees 2009

Dude, we are 10 games into a 162 game season. Is this a serious post?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauer7 View Post
    Relax, of course he's serious. Yankee haters have been taking premature potshots for over 30 years now. I'm used to it. In fact, it's become boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Relax, of course he's serious. Yankee haters have been taking premature potshots for over 30 years now. I'm used to it. In fact, it's become boring.
    Nah.... Boring is how bad you guys have been for what... 10 years now and you still think you can win. Anything less than a world series win every single year for that amount a payroll is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
    Nah.... Boring is how bad you guys have been for what... 10 years now and you still think you can win. Anything less than a world series win every single year for that amount a payroll is a disgrace.
    I was attempting to be a bit more kind but actually that is true. In any other sport, if for instance my favorite team the Lakers could go out and double, triple, quadruple the payroll of virtually every team who thinks that they would not lock up the NBA title every year. You could put an all-star team on the floor at every position. Same thing in the NFL granted injuries could play a huge part there as well, but the Yankees have not done a good job managing that payroll. My five year old nephew could do a better job managing that payroll. Great signings/trades like Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi, even Damon have not exactly worked in their favor.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

And what is the common denominator in all this?

Scott Boras.

He's death to any team. And if they are stupid enough to give into him, then they deserve what they get.

The Yankees will be fighting for last place with Boston in the East and the "new curse of the Babe" will become known, that the Yankees will never win another World Series in their new billion dollar stadium, "the House that Ruth didn't build!"

Dodger vs. Jays in World Series, Dodgers win in six.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauer7 View Post
    This is true however the Yankees might be in some measure of trouble given the fact that Wang is getting absolutely rocked during every outing. I am guessing that the Yankees were counting on a very strong rotation of Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain and Pettite. Obviously, Wang is not fully recovered as he cannot spot his pitches and looks like he is pitching batting practice. If he cannot get it together, everyone has to step up. The Yankees greatest weakness has been their pitching or lack thereof over the past five to seven years. You remove a healthy solid Wang from that rotation and they have to find a way to replace 18 - 20 wins or at least that would have been the expectation from him based on historical performances.
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    This is true however the Yankees might be in some measure of trouble given the fact that Wang is getting absolutely rocked during every outing. I am guessing that the Yankees were counting on a very strong rotation of Sabathia, Wang, Burnett, Chamberlain and Pettite. Obviously, Wang is not fully recovered as he cannot spot his pitches and looks like he is pitching batting practice. If he cannot get it together, everyone has to step up. The Yankees greatest weakness has been their pitching or lack thereof over the past five to seven years. You remove a healthy solid Wang from that rotation and they have to find a way to replace 18 - 20 wins or at least that would have been the expectation from him based on historical performances.
    I think Wang will get it together, but I think Joba is a bigger concern. I'm still not convinced he is a starter. His fastball has no movement, and his speed is not what it used to be. He's probably better off as a setup guy who will move into the closer roll. This way he an come in fresh, and try to overpower batters. You are right, though, the rotation is struggling.

I still love 'em though- GO YANKEES!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markize View Post
    I think Wang will get it together, but I think Joba is a bigger concern. I'm still not convinced he is a starter. His fastball has no movement, and his speed is not what it used to be. He's probably better off as a setup guy who will move into the closer roll. This way he an come in fresh, and try to overpower batters. You are right, though, the rotation is struggling.

I still love 'em though- GO YANKEES!!

Mark
    Mark, great points, I am not a Yankees fan but I will say that I would give up on Chamberlain as a starter and do exactly what you are saying. Kind of like Rivera for Wetteland years ago. Since Mariano probably only has two or so good years left, this would be a perfect opportunity to get Joba the time he needs in a role that he was lights out in and then move him over as the closer once Rivera is done. Sure you lose him as a starter but they need to take advantage of the strength that they have there. In a one or so inning situation, that guy is lights out.

The other question is, do either Hughes or Kennedy ever pan out to anything and if not, are the Yankees kicking themselves for not pulling the trigger on that Santana trade with the Twins several years back.
    Brett Herman

Wang was fine until the HR to Choo. He just got shook up. No worries. 10 games in does not a panic attack make.