Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Serious post. First wait 'til you get the card. Contact a lawyer about fraud. Threaten Donruss with legal action. Tell them you have a friend who works for a National Newspaper who thinks this would make a great human interest story. I am very sorry about how Fran is your childhood hero and you are suffering from mental anguish. Night sweats? It's at least worth a prescription for medical weed.
    BTW...Pro-bowlers wore red, white and blue jerseys specially made for the game regardless of what team they're from. They were always red, white and blue. I have never heard of a pro-bowl jersey being re-used from game to game.
    I am also serious about the legal action. Somebody will say we are in a sue-happy society. Ask those people if they will pay your rent.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Serious post. First wait 'til you get the card. Contact a lawyer about fraud. Threaten Donruss with legal action. Tell them you have a friend who works for a National Newspaper who thinks this would make a great human interest story. I am very sorry about how Fran is your childhood hero and you are suffering from mental anguish. Night sweats? It's at least worth a prescription for medical weed.
    BTW...Pro-bowlers wore red, white and blue jerseys specially made for the game regardless of what team they're from. They were always red, white and blue. I have never heard of a pro-bowl jersey being re-used from game to game.
    I am also serious about the legal action. Somebody will say we are in a sue-happy society. Ask those people if they will pay your rent.
    The thing is, this is serious to me. When I thought that I purchased a card that had the jersey Tarkenton wore during his MVP 1975 season (76 pro bowl), I couldn't have been more thrilled.

Right now I'm looking for a box-score to confirm that he did not play during that Pro Bowl game, we'll see.

Banned

Re: Error on 2005 DonRuss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    The thing is, this is serious to me. When I thought that I purchased a card that had the jersey Tarkenton wore during his MVP 1975 season (76 pro bowl), I couldn't have been more thrilled.

Right now I'm looking for a box-score to confirm that he did not play during that Pro Bowl game, we'll see.
    He was on the rooster -

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...76/probowl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    He was on the rooster -
    If I didn't have such an exciting life, I would put together a photo-shop creation...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    If I didn't have such an exciting life, I would put together a photo-shop creation...
    Ok, here comes one. Go for it Warren.

I would like to see who comes up with a box score first without going to the library. I couldn't find one - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Ok, here comes one. Go for it Warren.

I would like to see who comes up with a box score first without going to the library. I couldn't find one - yet.
    Francis on a rooster

Banned

Both teams you kill me every time lmaoooo

Burlington. (N.C.) Times-News Fri., Jan. 4, 1977
    Tarkenton Under Fire For Skipping Pro Bowl

SAN DIEGO (AP) — They're saying some pretty nasty things about Fran Tarkenton at the Pro Bowl, mainly because he's not a part of it. "His not being here is like a slap in the face to every player taking part in this game," St Louis Cardinals quarterback Jim Hart said at Thursday's workout. Hart is closer to the situation than anyone else. He would not be a part of it, if Tarkenton, the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, had not decided to skip Monday night's game in Seattle.

Tarkenton claims an injury suffered about four weeks ago in the opening round of the National Football League playoffs is forcing him out of this annual all-star game though he never reported any after-effects from that game when he played in the National Conference championships and in the Super BowL.

"It's not the first time he's pulled this," Hart said of Tarkenton's withdrawal. "Personally, I couldn't be happier. It gives me a chance to play in a game that only a few players get a chance to play in. I'm absolutiey delighted to be here. Listen, it's more than just another game. It's an honor."

Tarkenton, it must be noted, is not the only Pro Bowl selection pulling out of this meeting of American and National Conference stars. Five others have done the same — but that hasn't stilled the criticism of Tarkenton.

"If a guy's chosen to play in a game like this," said Hart, "he should have the decency to be a part of it. It's not asking too much."

Tarkenton has now been selected to four Pro Bowls. But he has appeared in only one, in 1971. This makes the third straight year be is by-passing this game, which follows the Super Bowl by one week.

"His excuses are wearing a little thin, don't you think?" said Roger Staubach of Dallas, elevated to the NFC starting quarterback job by Tarkenton's absence. "I think what he's doing is disgraceful."

Even one of Tarkenton's teammates, rookie wide receiver Sammy White, was critical of his quarterback. "If it was really a bad injury that was keeping him out, like Franco (Hams of the Pittsburgh Steelers), I could see it," White said. "But from what's being said, I just don't know. "This is my first game, so I'm all excited about it. Maybe if I'd been picked for a lot of them, I'd feel different — but I hope not. I mean, the fans are paying to see the best players in the game. That's what they deserve. That's what they should be seeing."

----------------------------------------

sorry, no link - it's from a paid newspaper archive service. btw, the photo the card company chose to use (below) for that bogus collectible is actually from the 1970 pro bowl (played in 1971), the only pro bowl in which tarkenton participated...

robert

to be clear, tarkenton didn't make the trip to the pro bowls he withdrew from (including the 1976/77 pro bowl) - he didn't suit up for these games, he didn't hang out on the sideline, etc. - he was mia...

robert

Really interesting to see how critical his fellow players were of his begging out of the game. That just doesn't happen anymore. They saw a Pro Bowl invite as an honor not to be taken lightly and weren't afraid to call out a fellow colleague for thumbing his nose at the league and its fans. Refreshing to see in the milquetoast NFL of today.

And they were glad to play on the crappy Kingdome Field in SEATTLE --not Honolulu!