Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Here's a photo of the rear of the card...
    Name:  PBS-2 Fran Tarkenton Dual 02-25.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  136.0 KB

I wonder if the item cut up for this card was this Tarkenton jersey that was sold at least twice before and came with a letter from Lampson, Bushing and Knoll at SCD Authentic

Here's a listing from 2003
    http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

Here's a Hunt Auction listing from August 19 and 20, 2005
    http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=236&lot_qual=
    Name:  scdfrantark.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  32.1 KB

Interesting to note the font of the #1s are different. The one on the card goes horizontally, while the SCD Authentic one slopes down. (Not sure if this is supposed to be the jersey in the pic)
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Here's a photo of the rear of the card...
    Attachment 23931

I wonder if the item cut up for this card was this Tarkenton jersey that was sold at least twice before and came with a letter from Lampson, Bushing and Knoll at SCD Authentic

Here's a listing from 2003
    http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

Here's a Hunt Auction listing from August 19 and 20, 2005
    http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=236&lot_qual=
    Attachment 23932

Interesting to note the font of the #1s are different. The one on the card goes horizontally, while the SCD Authentic one slopes down. (Not sure if this is supposed to be the jersey in the pic)
    Thank you very much Eric, that was quite a bit of research their and does clear up a lot. It does (to an extent) restore my faith in the authenticity of the item. It does appear as if Tarkenton might be the only HOF'er in this Pro Bowl jersey set, if they were including bogus swatches, why not do so for more players?

I still have an issue with the 1976 being stated on the front, as well as the Vikings logo in the back. Clearly if this is real, it much have come from a Pro Bowl jersey he wore during his Giants days. Therefore, including 1976 and the Vikings logo seems to be a bit misleading while the statement of saying it was from an official Pro Bowl game (without specifying the year) does seem to be more legit.

A very curious situation indeed but I suppose it's a heck of a lot better than getting a swatch that wouldn't fit the style, design, or color of any jersey Tarkenton might have worn.

Now I ask this of you Eric, what do you think about this card? Do you think that it is the real-deal that was produced with a poor date or do you think their might be more to be concerned about?

I just now realized that clicking on the images in the link posted earlier in the thread would display the back of the card.

I'm disturbed by the Jamal Lewis nameplate cards. The back of those cards say that the jersey was from one that Lewis wore in an official ProBowl game where clearly, those nameplate patches game from an exclusive Ravens jersey.

This would worry me a lot if I had that card, but the question is...does their mistake with the Lewis cards in the set bring fourth a cause for concern regarding other cards in the set, let's say...the Fran Tarkenton card?

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    It does (to an extent) restore my faith in the authenticity of the item.
    Sir? Who? What? When? Where? How?
    The photo of Fran on the card shows the '71 Pro Bowl Game. The earlier posted news article verifies the '71 game as the only game he played. The Jersey posted by Eric and the photo of Fran on the card are not the same jersey. Different fonts on the "1"s.
    My teeth are beginning to hurt, so will someone explain what I'm missing?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    The photo of Fran on the card shows the '71 Pro Bowl Game. The earlier posted news article verifies the '71 game as the only game he played. The Jersey posted by Eric and the photo of Fran on the card are not the same jersey. Different fonts on the "1"s.
    I would have to agree with Both Teams. I am not sure how your faith is restored? If it came from the Jersey that was LOA'd by Lampson that's a whole ball of wax in itself.

Eric also points out difference's in 2 possible Jerseys.

I am not saying it is good or bad, but this definteily needs to be looked into further or just kindly request your money back with all the question marks on this piece.

Just my opinion!!

Banned

They make something to put in your mouth to help with your grinding teeth issues.

What helped partially restore my faith was the fact that the back of the card did not say that it was from the 1976 Pro Bowl, if that were the case, it would be even more of a blatant mistake. not to say that the 1976 on the front of the card isn't, but the fact that the back doesn't specify exactly which Pro Bowl its from makes it more likely to have been from the 1971 Pro Bowl.

Regarding the Jersey Eric posted, I'm not so certain that the front and back don't have different fonts but to be honest, I don't know. Nor do we have any way of knowing that the exact jersey found was actually used for the card.

Breaking News:

We better hope that the jersey Eric found was not the one used for the card because I found another picture of Tarkenton from the 1971 Pro Bowl...

I had to look under "1971 Pro Bowl" instead of "Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl". Now, do we know the date when the auction ended in 2005?

Also, this is another player from the exact same game. Do the numbers on his jersey look screen-printed or sewn on?