Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • both-teams-played-hard
    • Nov 2005

Re: Error on 2005 DonRuss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Originally posted by trsent
    Ok, here comes one. Go for it Warren.

I would like to see who comes up with a box score first without going to the library. I couldn't find one - yet.
    Francis on a rooster

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

Re: Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Both teams you kill me every time lmaoooo

Comment

• aeneas01
        • May 2007

Burlington. (N.C.) Times-News Fri., Jan. 4, 1977
        Tarkenton Under Fire For Skipping Pro Bowl

SAN DIEGO (AP) — They're saying some pretty nasty things about Fran Tarkenton at the Pro Bowl, mainly because he's not a part of it. "His not being here is like a slap in the face to every player taking part in this game," St Louis Cardinals quarterback Jim Hart said at Thursday's workout. Hart is closer to the situation than anyone else. He would not be a part of it, if Tarkenton, the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings, had not decided to skip Monday night's game in Seattle.

Tarkenton claims an injury suffered about four weeks ago in the opening round of the National Football League playoffs is forcing him out of this annual all-star game though he never reported any after-effects from that game when he played in the National Conference championships and in the Super BowL.

"It's not the first time he's pulled this," Hart said of Tarkenton's withdrawal. "Personally, I couldn't be happier. It gives me a chance to play in a game that only a few players get a chance to play in. I'm absolutiey delighted to be here. Listen, it's more than just another game. It's an honor."

Tarkenton, it must be noted, is not the only Pro Bowl selection pulling out of this meeting of American and National Conference stars. Five others have done the same — but that hasn't stilled the criticism of Tarkenton.

"If a guy's chosen to play in a game like this," said Hart, "he should have the decency to be a part of it. It's not asking too much."

Tarkenton has now been selected to four Pro Bowls. But he has appeared in only one, in 1971. This makes the third straight year be is by-passing this game, which follows the Super Bowl by one week.

"His excuses are wearing a little thin, don't you think?" said Roger Staubach of Dallas, elevated to the NFC starting quarterback job by Tarkenton's absence. "I think what he's doing is disgraceful."

Even one of Tarkenton's teammates, rookie wide receiver Sammy White, was critical of his quarterback. "If it was really a bad injury that was keeping him out, like Franco (Hams of the Pittsburgh Steelers), I could see it," White said. "But from what's being said, I just don't know. "This is my first game, so I'm all excited about it. Maybe if I'd been picked for a lot of them, I'd feel different — but I hope not. I mean, the fans are paying to see the best players in the game. That's what they deserve. That's what they should be seeing."

----------------------------------------

sorry, no link - it's from a paid newspaper archive service. btw, the photo the card company chose to use (below) for that bogus collectible is actually from the 1970 pro bowl (played in 1971), the only pro bowl in which tarkenton participated...

robert

Comment

• aeneas01
          • May 2007

to be clear, tarkenton didn't make the trip to the pro bowls he withdrew from (including the 1976/77 pro bowl) - he didn't suit up for these games, he didn't hang out on the sideline, etc. - he was mia...

robert

Comment

• Ripken
            • Aug 2006

Really interesting to see how critical his fellow players were of his begging out of the game. That just doesn't happen anymore. They saw a Pro Bowl invite as an honor not to be taken lightly and weren't afraid to call out a fellow colleague for thumbing his nose at the league and its fans. Refreshing to see in the milquetoast NFL of today.

And they were glad to play on the crappy Kingdome Field in SEATTLE --not Honolulu!

Comment

• RKO18
              • Sep 2008

Thank you guys a lot for helping me with all of this research.

Now I'm really not sure what to make of it. If he only played in the 1971 Pro Bowl, why not just say "1971" instead of "1976"? Heck, Tarkenton was selected to 9 Pro Bowls, why single 1976 out?

I have yet to see another classic Pro Bowl jersey insert in that series. The others are all from the 21st century, Culpepper in 2001, Brady in 2002, and Jamal Lewis in 2004 have been what I've seen so far, even using Beckett's website to look it up.

I'd imagine that the inclusion of a HOF'er's jersey into this set would be even more rare. How on earth could they not get this right? If I can find out that Tarkenton didn't play in the Pro Bowl of 1976, there is no reason why Donruss should have not been able to figure this out.

Now... What should I make of this card? The material seems to be an exact match to what Tarkenton wore in the 1971 Pro Bowl. Of course, I would have no way of knowing that it was real which brings me to my final thought...

What do you guys think is actually in this card?

A real Tarkenton Pro Bowl jersey? An issued jersey? A Pro Bowl jersey from the wrong year?

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                • Nov 2005

A quick guess would say that they used knits in 1970 and mesh in 1976 (don't know for sure). What type of material is the swatch?

Comment

• Rob L
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RKO18
                  Thank you guys a lot for helping me with all of this research.

Now I'm really not sure what to make of it. If he only played in the 1971 Pro Bowl, why not just say "1971" instead of "1976"? Heck, Tarkenton was selected to 9 Pro Bowls, why single 1976 out?

I have yet to see another classic Pro Bowl jersey insert in that series. The others are all from the 21st century, Culpepper in 2001, Brady in 2002, and Jamal Lewis in 2004 have been what I've seen so far, even using Beckett's website to look it up.

I'd imagine that the inclusion of a HOF'er's jersey into this set would be even more rare. How on earth could they not get this right? If I can find out that Tarkenton didn't play in the Pro Bowl of 1976, there is no reason why Donruss should have not been able to figure this out.

Now... What should I make of this card? The material seems to be an exact match to what Tarkenton wore in the 1971 Pro Bowl. Of course, I would have no way of knowing that it was real which brings me to my final thought...

What do you guys think is actually in this card?

A real Tarkenton Pro Bowl jersey? An issued jersey? A Pro Bowl jersey from the wrong year?
                  How about a Tarkenton issued jersey. Could also be another jersey from that game that is then attributed to Tarkenton.
                  Rob L
                  loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• RKO18
                    • Sep 2008

This might be a silly thought but...

Is there any chance that this is actually a piece of Tarkenton's 1971 Pro Bowl jersey (considering the picture of Fran is indeed from the 71 Pro Bowl) but the card was mis-printed to say "1976" instead of "1971"?

I also went to Beckett's website and did a search and found a picture of the generic non-jersey Tarkenton Pro Bowl card and it also said 1976. Perhaps Donruss simply mis-printed the year on all the cards?

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RKO18
                      This might be a silly thought but...

Is there any chance that this is actually a piece of Tarkenton's 1971 Pro Bowl jersey (considering the picture of Fran is indeed from the 71 Pro Bowl) but the card was mis-printed to say "1976" instead of "1971"?

I also went to Beckett's website and did a search and found a picture of the generic non-jersey Tarkenton Pro Bowl card and it also said 1976. Perhaps Donruss simply mis-printed the year on all the cards?
                      Anything is possible but then I think Beckett would have listed those as error cards. For something like that I would think it would be best to contact Donruss and try to get a hold of someone there to find out if that was a possible error card.

Comment

• Eric
                        • Jan 1970

The swatches that appear on cards aren't necessarily from the year represented on the card

Here is a Bucs jersey on a Chargers card of Keenan McCardell

Click image for larger version

Name:	keenan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	651607
                        Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• RKO18
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Eric
                          The swatches that appear on cards aren't necessarily from the year represented on the card

Here is a Bucs jersey on a Chargers card of Keenan McCardell

[ATTACH]23894[/ATTACH]
                          I've seen that happen before. If a player is traded, they include the jersey from his former team. With this Tarkenton card however, there can be no mistake that the material looks only like the Pro Bowl jersey he wore in 1971. There is no purple so it's certainly not a Vikings jersey, and when he played for the giants, there was no red in the jerseys at all.

I'll have a better idea when I can read the back of the card, that should give us some better answers.

Comment

• David
                            • Sep 2024

Of note, ordinarily if a player is injured or begs off beforehand, he doesn't even attend the Pro Bowl. He doesn't even fly to Hawaii. It's not like a regular season game, where the player will stand on the sideline if injured.

Comment

• skinsfan0521
                              • Apr 2009

I'm actually just getting into the whole game used memorabilia thing, I've been collecting cards for years. I just wanted to follow up on what a couple people said earlier about jerseys from different years/teams...

It is a VERY common thing to put jerseys in the card that weren't worn from a particular season or were worn by the player on a previous team. Also, just because it says "1976" on the front of the card, does NOT mean that the jersey was used during the 1976 season, it's just saying that for the "Pro Bowl Squad" subset purposes.

As you've said, it's really going to be important what the card says on the back, but from my experience they are usually very non-descript and give no real details about anything important. Most of the time it just says something like "this jersey was worn by player x in an official nfl pro bowl game".

So, I'd be very interested to find out what happens with this, so keep this thread updated. Like I said before, I'm really into cards and this whole memorabilia thing (at least full size pieces lol) is all new to me, so it's very interesting.

Comment

• sylbry
                                • Nov 2005

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.
                                Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

Working...