Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PayPal holding funds in my account on a item I sold? What?

I'm not a roook or anything... but I just recently sold something through eBay (few hundred bucks) and today I received an email from PayPal giving me a notice of payment received - please ship item. In the notice it states that eBay is teaming up with PayPal to make payments and eBay items even safer. In doing so they are placing a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction until

A.) The buyer leaves positive feedback
    B.) That they confirm the item has been delivered by shipping the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page.

Is this for everyone or is my account set up for this? I'm a verified member with Paypal, never had any bad deals. Can someone please help me understand this? To me it’s like a lose-lose situation - especially in our hobby! Many things we all have are one-of-a-kinds - CAN'T be replaced! To me the buyer could easily receive the item, claim I sent the wrong thing, open a dispute and get both the item and his cash back.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Any recommendations would be great! Thanks for your time!

Taylor
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Angry Re: PayPal holding funds in my account on a item I sold? What?

If you don't ship with a delivery confirmation, the buyer can say he never received the item and file a claim to get a refund.

Re: PayPal holding funds in my account on a item I sold? What?

Quote Originally Posted by texag View Post
    If you don't ship with a delivery confirmation, the buyer can say he never received the item and file a claim to get a refund.

This has happened to me before. What I did to get back at the buyer was I sent him an empty envelope and got delivery confirmation for it and entered that number into paypal and I won the case. If you don't wanna lose hundreds because of a fraudulant buyer, then just spend a dollar or two and send an empty envelope with delivery confirmation.

Thanks guys!
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

I see another problem. What if you ship the item and it's received and the paypal transaction does not go thru because of insufficient funds??

On the planet we live on the customer does not get the goods till payment is received.

Is paypal going to guaranty the funds availability with some sort of seller protection??
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

My resentment and loathsomeness for ebay and paypal were, I thought, maxed out.

Then I read this post.

God, I hate them. The fools that run paypal have villified the sellers, and empowered the buyers to basically do whatever they want, which includes the ability to act on buyer's remorse, lie about receiving the item, protect them from having negative feedback left for them, give them as long as they choose to pay for an item, tie-up some seller with perfect ratings and history by locking up their Paypal account with a completely bogus and fraudulent claim......and buy them Maxi-pads when they are having a menstrual episode, charged to the seller's account.

The whole place is ruined. I avoid it like the plague........unless of course I feel like buying something cheap and reaming some poor pathetic slob for using the services. After all.....Paypal has developed the means for allowing me to do so, with ease. (Of course I refrain.....but point rendered). The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.

So what is the purpose of the envelope exactly? Do you mail the envelope and then basically show they recieved the envelope, claiming the item was in the envelope? Can someone clear this up. thanks, Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Tay1038 View Post
    I'm not a roook or anything... but I just recently sold something through eBay (few hundred bucks) and today I received an email from PayPal giving me a notice of payment received - please ship item. In the notice it states that eBay is teaming up with PayPal to make payments and eBay items even safer. In doing so they are placing a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction until

A.) The buyer leaves positive feedback
    B.) That they confirm the item has been delivered by shipping the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page.

Is this for everyone or is my account set up for this? I'm a verified member with Paypal, never had any bad deals. Can someone please help me understand this? To me it’s like a lose-lose situation - especially in our hobby! Many things we all have are one-of-a-kinds - CAN'T be replaced! To me the buyer could easily receive the item, claim I sent the wrong thing, open a dispute and get both the item and his cash back.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Any recommendations would be great! Thanks for your time!

Taylor
    I have only run into this problem, if the buyer use's a credit card and not a bank account to fund paypal.

Kyle,
    What I did to get back at the buyer was I sent him an empty envelope and got delivery confirmation for it and entered that number into paypal and I won the case. If you don't wanna lose hundreds because of a fraudulant buyer, then just spend a dollar or two and send an empty envelope with delivery confirmation.
    Its no secret you are a great kid and just want to help others but this not
    something you should be recommending to others. Basically you're telling
    others to fight fraud with fraud. I assume you did what you felt you needed
    to do to protect yourself but if you do get caught it can lead to something more serious like interstate mail fraud. Do what you need to do but somethings you want to keep to yourself.

For everyone else, although it sucks, just invest in signature confirmation
    and/or insurance. Delivery confirmation is a cheaper option but sometimes they the mailman forgets to scan the item and then you lose. I used to
    offer confirmation as an option but 9/10 times the buyer is not willing to
    invest an extra $1 or $2 on a $500 item so I just started including it at
    no additional charge for my own peace of mind. You can have a great week in sales but one item goes missing and there goes all your profit and then some.

Goh Nishiyama

Banned

This happened to me about two weeks ago. I called to find out what was up. I didn't like the fact that I had to ship an item without actually having the money in my bank. The Paypal lady I talked to assured me it is there in my paypal account and they would hold it for me. I shipped the item with a delivery confirmation, which I always do to cover my tail. The person received it and I confirmed it with Paypal, plus they gave me positive feedback and I had the funds 4 days later.

Aaron