Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Pee Wee Resse Jersey In Grey Flannel Auction

Current offering in Grey Flannel's current auction:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=33851

Lot #732: 1962 Pee Wee Reese Los Angeles Dodgers Coaches Worn & Autographed Home Flannel Jersey (JSA)

Bidding Watch this lot
    On the left front tail of the jersey is the "Tim McAuliffe" label. Attached below are the size "42" and year “62” tags. It looks like the player felt tag was taken off in the minors. “ESPINAL” has been written in the collar in black marker. Across the front is "DODGERS" in script style letters which are made of blue felt. The player number "1" appears below on the left in red felt. On the back is the player number “1” in blue felt. Autographed on front in black marker and rates a 6. The jersey shows good wear and besides being sent to the minors appears to have no other alterations of any kind. The autograph is accompanied by a LOA from JSA.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

According to available published information, Reese did indeed serve as a coach for the Dogers, however, it was for the 1959 season, not 1962.

Per published information, "following his retirement as a player, Reese enjoyed considerable success as a play-by-playannouncer on network television. He called games for CBS from 1960–1965 (with Dizzy Dean) and for NBC from 1966–1968 (with Curt Gowdy). Reese also broadcast several World Series for NBC radio."

Does anyone have any insight on Reese being a coach with the Dodgers in 1962?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Banned

Re: Pee Wee Resse Jersey In Grey Flannel Auction

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Current offering in Grey Flannel's current auction:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=33851

Lot #732: 1962 Pee Wee Reese Los Angeles Dodgers Coaches Worn & Autographed Home Flannel Jersey (JSA)

Bidding Watch this lot
    On the left front tail of the jersey is the "Tim McAuliffe" label. Attached below are the size "42" and year “62” tags. It looks like the player felt tag was taken off in the minors. “ESPINAL” has been written in the collar in black marker. Across the front is "DODGERS" in script style letters which are made of blue felt. The player number "1" appears below on the left in red felt. On the back is the player number “1” in blue felt. Autographed on front in black marker and rates a 6. The jersey shows good wear and besides being sent to the minors appears to have no other alterations of any kind. The autograph is accompanied by a LOA from JSA.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

According to available published information, Reese did indeed serve as a coach for the Dogers, however, it was for the 1959 season, not 1962.

Per published information, "following his retirement as a player, Reese enjoyed considerable success as a play-by-playannouncer on network television. He called games for CBS from 1960–1965 (with Dizzy Dean) and for NBC from 1966–1968 (with Curt Gowdy). Reese also broadcast several World Series for NBC radio."

Does anyone have any insight on Reese being a coach with the Dodgers in 1962?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Whoops! Here is the correct auction link:
    http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/L...px?lotid=21148

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

I thought Reese was one of those Spring Training coaches, kind of like Koufax did.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Here's the problem with claiming/thinking that it was a '62 spring training coaches jersey. The Dodgers didn't order those McAuliffe jerseys until March 8 which means if Reese was a "spring training coach" in '62 he was either wearing a hand me down/recycle or he was naked. There is no mention of Reese on the order sheet for '62.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lon lewis View Post
    Here's the problem with claiming/thinking that it was a '62 spring training coaches jersey. The Dodgers didn't order those McAuliffe jerseys until March 8 which means if Reese was a "spring training coach" in '62 he was either wearing a hand me down/recycle or he was naked. There is no mention of Reese on the order sheet for '62.
    On a related note, I believe one of the Dodgers minor league teams also wore this exact same style in 1962 also manufactured by McAuliffe and also with the same tagging/names sewn in the tail?

I remember Dick Dobbins once had a bunch for sale and all had minor league names embroidered, but looked and were tagged exactly like the MLB jerseys.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

"Reese's playing career ended early in the 1958 season,when the team had moved to Los Angeles. He spent the 1959 season as a coach for the team but never returned to the field in much more than an honorary capacity."

Possibly he used it for an Old Timer's Game or something??? Just a thought...

Not that that makes it a 'Gamer' per say - kind of like my 'GAME USED' Goose Gossage Colorado Rockies hat he wore while he was a roving scout/instructor for them a few years back.

I mean I wouldn't give the hat up - Goose did wear it in an 'Official' Capacity for the Rockies and he signed it.

If I find items like that that I like and are in my range, I'll buy them for the collection. Again, it may not be a true 'gamer', but if it was indeed worn and signed by a HOFer, it can be a cheaper way to add one of their items to my collection.

Just my .02

- Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post

"Reese's playing career ended early in the 1958 season,when the team had moved to Los Angeles. He spent the 1959 season as a coach for the team but never returned to the field in much more than an honorary capacity."

Possibly he used it for an Old Timer's Game or something??? Just a thought...

Not that that makes it a 'Gamer' per say - kind of like my 'GAME USED' Goose Gossage Colorado Rockies hat he wore while he was a roving scout/instructor for them a few years back.

I mean I wouldn't give the hat up - Goose did wear it in an 'Official' Capacity for the Rockies and he signed it.

If I find items like that that I like and are in my range, I'll buy them for the collection. Again, it may not be a true 'gamer', but if it was indeed worn and signed by a HOFer, it can be a cheaper way to add one of their items to my collection.

Just my .02

- Chris
    Chris-

Thanks for the post.

Your question about this jersey possibly being worn by Resse in an Old Timers Game would be a tough stretch, but the description from Grey Flannel clearly reads "Lot #732: 1962 Pee Wee Reese Los Angeles Dodgers Coaches Worn & Autographed Home Flannel Jersey (JSA)"

Likewise, you note, "....if it was indeed worn and signed by a HOFer, it can be a cheaper way to add one of their items to my collection." As noted in my initial post, was this "indeed worn" by Reese a coach for the 1962 season? If so, and if photos, rosters, etc. can support the claim that Reese wore it as noted during the 1962 season as a coach, then indeed it would be an attractive jersey at a fraction of the cost. As of this update, no evidence has been found, forwarded or confirmed to me about him being a Dodger's coach in 1962.

An email has been sent directly to Grey Flannel, seeking answers as to what was used and what information they have in order to offer this particular jersey as Reese's 1962 coaches jersey?

If any Forum reader has information to support this jersey as being offered, please forward to my email below.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Since Pee Wee was calling games with Dizzy Dean starting in 1960 I find it hard to believe that this jersey was "Coaches Worn" by Pee Wee.

Banned

I checked my 1962 Street & Smith's yearbook with preseason rosters, and Reese is not listed as a coach. On top of it, that conveinently washed out NIT tag doesn't exactly boost my confidence.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Chris-

Thanks for the post.

Your question about this jersey possibly being worn by Resse in an Old Timers Game would be a tough stretch, but the description from Grey Flannel clearly reads "Lot #732: 1962 Pee Wee Reese Los Angeles Dodgers Coaches Worn & Autographed Home Flannel Jersey (JSA)"

Likewise, you note, "....if it was indeed worn and signed by a HOFer, it can be a cheaper way to add one of their items to my collection." As noted in my initial post, was this "indeed worn" by Reese a coach for the 1962 season? If so, and if photos, rosters, etc. can support the claim that Reese wore it as noted during the 1962 season as a coach, then indeed it would be an attractive jersey at a fraction of the cost. As of this update, no evidence has been found, forwarded or confirmed to me about him being a Dodger's coach in 1962.

An email has been sent directly to Grey Flannel, seeking answers as to what was used and what information they have in order to offer this particular jersey as Reese's 1962 coaches jersey?

If any Forum reader has information to support this jersey as being offered, please forward to my email below.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net
    Howard,

I highlighted and enlarged the parts I want to comment on.

None will be found.

And it also lost a bit of luster as someone spilled their diet coke on Pee Wee's signature while haqndling this fine piece......eesch! T.J., maybe?

The second part......If you were the one who asked the questions....I hope you weren't planning on bidding on any of their auctions in the near future....

Regards,

Steve